Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking in the 1990s

Re: Smoking in the 1990s

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    So demand it back. You can't give up on your public education.
    I think that might have been sarcasm

What's really increased smoking here is the use of vape products. Not only do they not taste/smell like cigarettes, a lot of kids don't think they're bad for you. They don't understand that nicotine is addictive, and any foreign substance put in your lungs pretty much aren't good for them.
    Maybe the kids will give them up to be Covid cool?

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-new...ng-adults.html

LOL I doubt it, Terry. In my area, it's really not the vaping of nicotine products, it's the vaping of marijuana that's the problem. Not that marijuana is addictive as nicotine or as toxic, but if your brain is not fully developed, it can do a lot of harm.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I think that might have been sarcasm
    Yes, and no. I don't know how the educational system works there, but in the US, a lot of people have just written off their public schools. Instead of voting for school board members who actually know what they're doing and supporting tax measures to help schools, they just get a voucher for a charter school or send their kids to private school, completely ignoring the problem. If people have an issue, work to fix it, keep resources going to our schools; don't ignore the problem and then complain about why people are so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    The Tory Government removed critical thinking from the National Curriculum. Can't have people thinking for themselves, can we?
    I think so-called 'critical thinking' had already started to peter out of the National Curriculum long before May 2010. And I say that as a non-Tory!!

Definitely more a case of easier to just avoid certain issues altogether rather than attempt to address them in any way. And not just in education either.

The misinformation/fake news thing for example, has seemingly been ignored and allowed to fester for far too long now with many people just shrugging it off as 'free expression', and it's only been over the last couple of years that many have finally woken up from their 'napping' and started to take the issue more seriously, despite the horse long having bolted from the stable.

Back to smoking in the 90s. I seem to recall, as the decade wore on, a lot of school staff back then (at least in my area) having a bit of a 'let's just leave them to it' kind of attitude over kids lighting up, and I remember one of the tutors at our local college I attended after leaving school in July 1993 saying to me 'Well nearly everybody smokes these days so get over it'!!

She was a bit of an ignorant, 'can't be bothered' type anyway, and by about mid-1994, following endless argy-bargies with that useless tutor (especially following an incident where another student with a bit of a screw loose set a firework off in the toilets whilst I was in one of the (open-top) cubicles and that tutor being totally dismissive and telling me to 'pull myself together' when I reported the incident to her), I had basically thrown in the towel with that course, especially as my other fellow students on that particular course at the time were mostly 'low-life'-types who had a penchant for bullying and name-calling, and I was fair game for them, especially having AS.

Apologies for boring you all with yet another long-winded essay of my past!!

Earlier this year I watched an old 1993 episode of 'The Bill' on YouTube where there was a scene in a video game shop, and it had an ashtray on the front of the till counter (presumably for use by customers) and remember wondering if that particular store was still typical of the time or actually behind the times in terms of permitting smoking, especially as most shops had already banned smoking by then.

And I know it's a fictional TV drama, but the actual shop itself might have been real. If the latter, that episode in which it was featured could have made it more famous, albeit advertising their leniency towards smoking on the premises!!

LOL I doubt it, Terry. In my area, it's really not the vaping of nicotine products, it's the vaping of marijuana that's the problem. Not that marijuana is addictive as nicotine or as toxic, but if your brain is not fully developed, it can do a lot of harm.
    There will be lots of that here too. Easier to smoke in the street as the police can't see a funny looking ciggie. The rise of the electronic roach!

Yes, they say it's not addictive but haven't we all seen or come across people who's lives revolve around it and the rest suffers?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    There will be lots of that here too. Easier to smoke in the street as the police can't see a funny looking ciggie. The rise of the electronic roach!

Yes, they say it's not addictive but haven't we all seen or come across people who's lives revolve around it and the rest suffers?
    Exactly.

I've seen my daughter try to give up smoking many times now. She does well for a few days before there's a 'fag break' and she gets offered one. At least the only room in the house where she smokes is her bedroom. It stinks like an ash tray, the rest of the house just stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    I've seen my daughter try to give up smoking many times now. She does well for a few days before there's a 'fag break' and she gets offered one. At least the only room in the house where she smokes is her bedroom. It stinks like an ash tray, the rest of the house just stinks.
    That is sadly one of the reasons why many still continue to take up smoking, simply to 'fit in'.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information