Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking in the 1990s

Re: Smoking in the 1990s

Actually, tobacco helped get the US going, Hollow. Jamestown and Virginia as a whole would never have been successful colony without it. I'm not saying Kissinger is innocent, but it goes back way before him.

Would you like to attend one of my re-education camps?

Lenco, I remember Heroin-chic from the 90s. I think you may have something with this. The emaciated, pale, sickly look was certainly the "in" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Actually, tobacco helped get the US going, Hollow. Jamestown and Virginia as a whole would never have been successful colony without it. I'm not saying Kissinger is innocent, but it goes back way before him.

Would you like to attend one of my re-education camps?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Lenco, I remember Heroin-chic from the 90s. I think you may have something with this. The emaciated, pale, sickly look was certainly the "in" thing.
    Wasn’t the Camel Toe in vogue in the 90’s too.

Ugh, yes! I still have to pull some teen girls aside in class and explain how that's not a good thing to be showing that! :S

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Wasn’t the Camel Toe in vogue in the 90’s too.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that was one of the things that started the teen smoking craze in the early 90s (mostly in the USA but perhaps also in the UK, mainland Europe and Australia).

I also read (probably in the same article) that imagery and scenes depicting smoking in popular entertainment (films, TV dramas, music videos, magazines, etc) increased considerably between 1990 and 1996. I remember seeing the front cover of the 'Pulp Fiction' soundtrack album (also with the 'Parental Advisory' logo printed directly in the bottom left-hand corner as a substitute for the more usual sticker) depicting a woman holding a burning cigarette on display in shops back in the day and feeling absolutely disgusted by it and my dad responding with 'Well they need to sell CDs', as if he was rather blasé about it at the time!!

And to promote something detrimental to our health and wellbeing as cool and macho?

Yeah right!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Ewwwwwww!!

That ad would be considered totally beyond the pale nowadays!!

Now up to the present-day smoking situation.

I read a report online (can't remember the site) that was published back in late March when we first went into national lockdown, that feared that more people might turn to smoking in order to help them cope with the loneliness and general pressures associated with the lockdown, and the other potential fallouts from the pandemic in general (e.g, job losses and subsequent financial difficulties), which so far has still proved unfounded, as many smokers have actually quit in record numbers since March, when CV really started ravaging this country. (it was mentioned in the news the other week).

I think another factor behind the initial fears of a possible CV-fuelled upturn in smoking rated was the plethora of misinformation circulating online at the time that suggested that smokers may have been less susceptible to catching the virus, but the complete opposite is the reality, and those myths were probably being engineered by pro-smoking camps, and no doubt, conspiracy theorists with an agenda!!

Like I already said above, it never came to pass, and the vast majority with a brain actually realised that.

What's really increased smoking here is the use of vape products. Not only do they not taste/smell like cigarettes, a lot of kids don't think they're bad for you. They don't understand that nicotine is addictive, and any foreign substance put in your lungs pretty much aren't good for them.
    Last edited by AntsyVee; 08-08-20 at 19:18. Reason: cut off

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information