Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking in the 1990s

Re: Smoking in the 1990s

I know smoking is bad on one’s health but what about grog?and the problems around it,Domestic Violence for one
    I have yet to encounter some woman who has been belted around by a partner who smokes.
    Also there is no labelling on alcohol and still advertising on the idiot box and promotional contracts with sports I just don’t get it.

There's labeling here on alcohol in the US. Wow...we're actually ahead of another country in something

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    I know smoking is bad on one’s health but what about grog?and the problems around it,Domestic Violence for one
    I have yet to encounter some woman who has been belted around by a partner who smokes.
    Also there is no labelling on alcohol and still advertising on the idiot box and promotional contracts with sports I just don’t get it.
    What's 'grog' when it's at home?

Surely the containers of most alcoholic drinks contain specs on alcoholic content and general ingredients.

Here in Blighty they have the drinkaware logo and website address also printed on them.

And why do you consider domestic violence committed by partners who smoke a bigger deal than that committed by non-smokers?

The only thing I can think of off hand is that they are deliberately burning the person on the receiving end of their brutality with their lit cigarettes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Old Naval slang for watered-down rum given to sailors in the 18th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Old Naval slang for watered-down rum given to sailors in the 18th century.
    And later a substitute for booze.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

Surely the containers of most alcoholic drinks contain specs on alcoholic content and general ingredients.

Here in Blighty they have the drinkaware logo and website address also printed on them.

And why do you consider domestic violence committed by partners who smoke a bigger deal than that committed by non-smokers?

The only thing I can think of off hand is that they are deliberately burning the person on the receiving end of their brutality with their lit cigarettes!!
    Lola was stating the problems of alcohol related domestic violence. She was highlighting how the authorities restrict cigs on health grounds yet booze is not clamped down on to the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Lola was stating the problems of alcohol related domestic violence. She was highlighting how the authorities restrict cigs on health grounds yet booze is not clamped down on to the same level.
    I get the idea now.

I like "grog" but I prefer "straight-barrel" better

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Whilst on the subject of DV, Victoria Derbyshire issued an extremely harrowing account on the BBC News website yesterday (in response to the upturn in DV rates during the national lockdown), who stated that her own dad was a violent neanderthal control freak-type who wasn't just regularly indulging in wife-battering (of her mother), but also had a tendency to regularly whack her (VD) with belts, sometimes over the most trivial of misdemeanours.

It does seem that increases in rates of DV (and child abuse) are almost par for the course during periods of widespread hardship, not only during this pandemic, but also during most past 'crises' such as the Global Financial Crisis in 2008-09, the second Iraq war in 2003, the 1990-93 recession (and pretty much all those that came before it), the 1984 miners' strike, the 1978-79 'Winter of Discontent', the 1973-74 oil crisis and the accompanying three-day working week, to name but a few.

Sorry Lencoboy but it doesn’t take a pandemic or wars and the rest you speak of for DV in the home.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information