Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking in the 1990s

Re: Smoking in the 1990s

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    There's labeling here on alcohol in the US. Wow...we're actually ahead of another country in something
    I think we're always number one when it comes to litigiousness! I'm in law school and took a Torts class last year. Warning labels was a whole section!

LOL Good to know, Erin. If only some people came with warning labels

Canada is well ahead on supplements over us. A few years back I remember a Canadian member telling me about the labelling of ingredients which was far ahead of us. Just look at magnesium supplements as an example where it doesn't tell you the elemental value.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Sorry Lencoboy but it doesn’t take a pandemic or wars and the rest you speak of for DV in the home.
    I agree that those things don't necessarily cause DV itself, but times of grave adversity most certainly can serve as a potential trigger for it.

On the other hand, I also believe that certain people (especially those who already have a bit of a screw loose themselves) have a tendency to deliberately use times of adversity and hardship as a vehicle and an excuse to indulge in their neanderthal-like antics, assuming they might be more able to get off scot-free. Not that I agree with it though, in fact quite cunning and conniving IMO.

I've even heard of some people who have allegedly abused vulnerable people in their care saying 'It's the cuts wot made me do it'!!

Blame game galore!!

Yesterday evening I was looking at some old photos of our family camping holiday in France back in August 1992 (when I was 15) that was through the 'Freedom Of France' strand (anyone remember them) and I remember one evening my parents invited this 'neighbouring' family of campers also from England into our tent for a couple of hours the one evening as some kind of social 'get-together', and the parents of that family both lit up in our tent without even asking my parents if it's OK if they smoke in our tent. All they did ask is 'could you pass us your ashtray please?'

Even though both my parents gave up smoking themselves over a decade earlier, neither they nor those who lit up in our tent even seemed to give it as much as a second thought back then.

Would be virtually unthinkable nowadays!

Mind you, a non-essential trip to France (or any other country) at all is completely unthinkable right now at this moment in time, for obvious reasons.

Like I told my kids. If one has a $10 per day smoking habit and starts smoking at 20 years old if instead of smoking they invested the $10 per day in a nice simple stock fund by the time they were 65 they would have $765,876

That is a pension plan. But like I told the kids if you smoke don't worry you won't need a pension.

Pain! How's it going?

Hahaha that's hilarious!

Another one said...I want to die in my sleep like my uncle did. I don't want to go kicking and screaming like the rest of the people in his car.

Thanks man! You too! Keep the faith! 👍

Will do. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilhelm View Post
    Haha, smoking from the 90s and alcohol? I'm not particularly eager to consume alcohol. Hmm, why someone needs to know about it? Cigarettes at that time were much better than now, I guess. And alcohol is something I wouldn't say I like to talk about.
    'Cigarettes at the time were much better than now'?

Kind of sums up the general perception that nearly everything was far better in the past, and most things today are rubbish, even oily rags!

Both my parents smoked. I was passive-smoking while I was in the womb but pregnant women did smoke in those days. Did it stunt my growth? Well I'm 5ft nowt and fit into the 'petite' bracket, except I point blank refuse to pay more money for less cloth!!

Anyway...

Mum puffed away until the day she died. I like to think she'd have had a few ciggies and a pot of tea to see her on her way? She couldn't have handled me without nicotine. (or whiskey)

Sometimes I get a random whiff of Silk Cut, and I say, 'MOTHER, IS THAT YOU?'

Things generally were better in the past - crisps used to fill the packets, for a start. These days, I open a packet and wonder where the sodding crisps are!

Oily rags? PWOAR! I love the smell of engine oil. Gets me going - no idea why? Hubs had to literally drag me out of the transport museum at the Black Country Living Museum a few years ago..

I know. I'm weird.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information