Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking in the 1990s

Re: Smoking in the 1990s

Both my parents smoked too. In fact when I first started smoking it was by pinching them off my dad. I don't think I really got addicted to them until my late teens, but snaffled my first one when I was 13. I then 'practiced' doing it in the bathroom until I could inhale in public properly (I guess peer pressure must have been involved).

Back in the day I was a menthol girl and would plumb for Consulate or More, I felt particularly sophisticated with a More (as I sat in the park in my school uniform), by the end of my teens I rolled my own - back then without a filter.

I remember going to France with some friends and smoking Gaulois (not sure if that's spelt right) and I think even Woodbines went through a fashionable phase when I was around 18.

I also am rather embarrassed to admit that I once was at the doctors and he asked if I smoked. I merrily said 'oh yes, but I've switched back to menthol lately as I have a bit of a cold'. I was obviously quite delusional about the health benefits of smoking in my youth.

Oh and NoraB, my mum smoked right until the end, in fact she was halfway through one when she died, it was just fortunate that she smoked rollies as when it fell on the floor it just went out and didn't set the rug on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Both my parents smoked. I was passive-smoking while I was in the womb but pregnant women did smoke in those days. Did it stunt my growth? Well I'm 5ft nowt and fit into the 'petite' bracket, except I point blank refuse to pay more money for less cloth!!

Anyway...

Mum puffed away until the day she died. I like to think she'd have had a few ciggies and a pot of tea to see her on her way? She couldn't have handled me without nicotine. (or whiskey)

Sometimes I get a random whiff of Silk Cut, and I say, 'MOTHER, IS THAT YOU?'

Things generally were better in the past - crisps used to fill the packets, for a start. These days, I open a packet and wonder where the sodding crisps are!

Oily rags? PWOAR! I love the smell of engine oil. Gets me going - no idea why? Hubs had to literally drag me out of the transport museum at the Black Country Living Museum a few years ago..

I know. I'm weird.
    Surely women still smoke whilst pregnant, though obviously in far lesser numbers today than in the past.

Hello, I have just returned to NMP after a long time away. Lots of things have happened in my life, some sad and some happy. One of the best things that came along was the birth of my one and only Grandaughter. Who is now thirteen years old and a smasher. i am getting to the point-----
    I have always smoked,even secretly around a corner out of the way.
    May 3rd 2021, My other half had gone for his early walk, he took his mobile with him. (which he rarely does) anyway i had to ring him as i had a feeling that a giant was standing on my chest. He ran home and rang an ambulance. I had a heart attack. I spent five days in hospital. i am on medication for the rest of my life. i have had no communication with any friends. i cannot talk to anyone, I thought I could tell you this to make me feel satisfaction in some way----and to any smoker's take heed please. love to all xxx

Oh Magic...It is so good to hear from you but I'm so sorry to hear about your heart attack..Please talk as much as you want to on here. You are amongst friends here xxxx

How are you doing now, Magic? I take it smoking is banned now? That must be hard as a lifetime smoker xx

Hi Pulisa,
    It's been along time since a have been on NMP, but I remember you for your understanding and kindness to folk on here. My last smoke was May3rd about two hours before my heart attack. I have not touched a ciggy since. I still have a packet unopened. They are going into the waste bin for tomorrows collection. I hope you are keeping well and your family xxx

You should be incredibly proud of yourself because stopping smoking cold turkey is a huge achievement. I'm so sorry you have been ill and can only wish you healthy years ahead and plenty of happy times with your lovely granddaughter xxx

Oh Magic it is so good to see you on hear again
    I will put some funnies on here for you.Xx
    I came back on last year and always thought of you and your gentleness and kind words.

Connie xx

Hi Connie, thank you. Missed this message. Hoper you are ok xxxx

I recall during the latter half of the 90s, which were my early years at my previous day centre, being lambasted for my indignation towards people smoking around me by a staff member who, ironically, was a lifelong non-smoker, and said staff member likened my 'discriminatory' attitude towards smokers at that time to racism!

She also believed my attitudes at that time were non-PC. 'Political correctness' (PC-ness) however, seemed to be one of many 'buzzwords' back then in the 90s.

Just to reiterate, I don't have a hatred of smokers as individual human beings.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information