Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Smoking in the 1990s

Re: Smoking in the 1990s

Last night I was watching a video on YouTube which was a documentary about Blackpool Pleasure Beach, that was filmed during 1997 but aired around early 1998.

There were scenes of an indoor arena with an ice rink that was run by this arsy manager called Amanda, who seemed like a female Sergeant Major, who not only had a penchant for barking out orders aggressively but also had a fag in her gob inside said arena whilst being interviewed!

One of the park managers, a big burly bloke with a West Country accent was also an arsy 'Sgt Major'-like barsteward barking out orders and was seen smoking on screen the one time.

Finally there were a couple of male youths who got done for assaulting the girl entertainers who were dressed up as animals.

All pretty shocking stuff which would never be allowed now in these more enlightened times of the 2020s, not just the managers smoking indoors (and in front of the general public) but also the young girls who were dressed up as animals who got attacked by those youths whilst entertaining the public, plus they could barely see out of their animal outfits, so no doubt the H&S and child protection brigades of today would also be having hissy fits!

God, how times have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Last night I was watching a video on YouTube which was a documentary about Blackpool Pleasure Beach, that was filmed during 1997 but aired around early 1998.

There were scenes of an indoor arena with an ice rink that was run by this arsy manager called Amanda, who seemed like a female Sergeant Major, who not only had a penchant for barking out orders aggressively but also had a fag in her gob inside said arena whilst being interviewed!

One of the park managers, a big burly bloke with a West Country accent was also an arsy 'Sgt Major'-like barsteward barking out orders and was seen smoking on screen the one time.

Finally there were a couple of male youths who got done for assaulting the girl entertainers who were dressed up as animals.

All pretty shocking stuff which would never be allowed now in these more enlightened times of the 2020s, not just the managers smoking indoors (and in front of the general public) but also the young girls who were dressed up as animals who got attacked by those youths whilst entertaining the public, plus they could barely see out of their animal outfits, so no doubt the H&S and child protection brigades of today would also be having hissy fits!

God, how times have changed!
    That documentary about Blackpool Pleasure Beach was produced by the BBC, presumably throughout 1997 and aired in early 1998.

I recall staying at my second respite unit at the time and seeing it on the TV there one evening (circa February-March 1998) and my only real memory of it was the youths assaulting the girl entertainers dressed up as animals.

Strangely I didn't recall the scenes depicting the senior staff members smoking and acting stroppily within view and earshot of the general public, which somehow seemed to go over my head at the time of its original airing, but the staff smoking indoors and especially in front of members of the general public would most certainly be unthinkable today.

Plus I could never imagine 11-12 year old girls being allowed to play the dressed up animals today either, especially in these days of rampant paranoia over child abuse in general.

However, out of curiosity I have just done a bit of research on Wikipedia of the Blackpool Pleasure Beach, and the 'stroppy' smoking woman on the 1997/98 BBC programme is called Amanda Thompson OBE, and has been the managing director of the park since 2004, so she obviously can't really be that terrible a person, plus perhaps I was being a little judgemental and taking the programme at face value.

Perhaps she's now a changed person and less volitile than she was back in 1997, plus maybe she no longer smokes, and certainly not indoors in front of punters since 2007.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 14-06-22 at 15:20.

You've really got a problem with smokers, eh Lenco?

The past is what it is. People smoked. (I smoked) Go back a few decades and people were encouraged to smoke; it doesn't make them bad people..

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post

The past is what it is. People smoked. (I smoked) Go back a few decades and people were encouraged to smoke; it doesn't make them bad people..
    True... former smoker here. Yes Lenco, times have definitely changed in the last 30 years. No sense in dwelling on it but I do understand that is what your dragon focuses on.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I don't hate smokers as persons Nora, as I've said before, nor do I think they're all bad people; it's just that there's times and places for people to indulge in such a habit (nowadays anyway).

You're right that smoking was more normalised in the past, and many often didn't give the social implications of it as much as a second thought. Obviously the Blackpool Pleasure Beach BBC documentary from 1997-98 is 'of its time', and of course depicts the 'social ethos' and general societal attitudes of the late 90s era, some of which we may find more questionable against many of today's standards.

I guess I must be subconsciously falling into the typical trap of 'wokeness' in finding certain things from the past 'offensive'.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 14-06-22 at 23:35.

You've gone back to living in the past again. What's stressing you out?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    You're right that smoking was more normalised in the past, and many often didn't give the social implications of it as much as a second thought.
    The majority of people smoked. It was a social thing to smoke. There were ash trays and cigarette vending machines in most every public place (including hospitals) not to mention advertisements all over the TV and in papers and magazines. Things are different now (thankfully) but the past is there to learn from Lenco..

Obviously the Blackpool Pleasure Beach BBC documentary from 1997-98 is 'of its time', and of course depicts the 'social ethos' and general societal attitudes of the late 90s era, some of which we may find more questionable against many of today's standards.
    Take a look at social media on any given day. On that interview in the 90s there was one woman being a grumpy git; on social media there are millions..

I guess I must be subconsciously falling into the typical trap of 'wokeness' in finding certain things from the past 'offensive'.
    When I get stuck in my past it does me no good at all Lenco and stresses from the now are generally the trigger for the behaviour. There's an obvious pattern with you too so I'll echo what Blue's said..

What's stressing you out?

I do hope you'll feel able to tell us, Lenco? It can't be easy for you at home.

The majority of people smoked. It was a social thing to smoke. There were ash trays and cigarette vending machines in most every public place (including hospitals) not to mention advertisements all over the TV and in papers and magazines. Things are different now (thankfully) but the past is there to learn from Lenco..

Take a look at social media on any given day. On that interview in the 90s there was one woman being a grumpy git; on social media there are millions..

When I get stuck in my past it does me no good at all Lenco and stresses from the now are generally the trigger for the behaviour. There's an obvious pattern with you too so I'll echo what Blue's said..

What's stressing you out?
    There's quite a few things stressing me out right now. The main thing being my mom's worsening dementia issues, to the point where she's now started to develop incontinence issues and refusing to use the toilet to do her business, which is also resulting in my poor dad being at his wits end with her, and the SS being increasingly difficult to get hold of, especially due to their endless arbitrary chopping and changing of everything.

Also, like many others right now, I'm increasingly disillusioned with the political situation in this country of late, especially the endless 'one-upmanship' and 'whataboutery', when the opposition parties are referenced, especially in blatant attempts to deflect from the relentless 'scandals' concerning the current loser in Number 10, and many of his fellow cronies!

As far as people being 'grumpy gits' on TV documentaries in the 90s vs people being 'grumpy gits' on social media and online in general today are concerned, remember there can be a lot of 'fakery' in the latter instance.

But I guess it's also been known for people to 'play up' to the cameras in TV docs too (and even the news to a certain extent on occasions) for maximum impact; the term 'sensationalism' springs to mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    True... former smoker here. Yes Lenco, times have definitely changed in the last 30 years. No sense in dwelling on it but I do understand that is what your dragon focuses on.

FMP
    There are probably many things that went on in our house when I was a child, even long after both my parents quit smoking themselves in the early 80s, that I would probably find shocking now had they been captured on video back then, probably even including many of my own (mis)behaviours!

But like all of you have said, the past is the past; it's been and gone and there's no point in dwelling on it forever more.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information