Thread: I should know better than to worry about this...

I should know better than to worry about this...

I went to therapy over rabies fears... 1 year ago? I got better. I wasn't afraid of it at all. I used to be afraid to even go outside in fear something would bite me without me noticing it. I haven't had a single rabies thought in so long, it felt so nice...

In comes my foster puppy. I just started fostering her today and she bites and bites and bites (she is 13 weeks old). She has broken skin in a couple of spots, very small spots, but still. I have not yet received her vet records to know which shots she still needs/to know if she still needs rabies shots. She is acting like an over stimulated puppy, not a rabid animal by any means... but I still worry over something going wrong considering she broke the skin. I guess if she's still fine in 10 days I can stop panicking?

Re: I should know better than to worry about this...

Are there many dogs/puppies with rabies over there? (just curious, as we don't have rabies here in Australia)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyGreen View Post
    Are there many dogs/puppies with rabies over there? (just curious, as we don't have rabies here in Australia)
    No there definitely isn't, rabies in domestic animals is pretty rare in the US, according to a quick Google search its around 60-70 dogs in an entire year.

Your puppy is definitely fine and so are you she's just a baby and baby animals tend to be rather bite-y lol also, shes so young that the odds of her having been anywhere unsupervised long enough to get bit and then for that bite to go unnoticed by anyone is very, very unlikely.

It is very rare in dogs, and I looked at where she came from and they only had 2 animals (not domestic) reported with rabies in 2018 (no updated reports but I'm assuming numbers are probably fairly consistent). What is bothering me is on other sites' forums people are telling people to go get shots for any punctures at all, even with young puppies they own.

Thread Information