Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPD Borderline Personality Disorder

BPD Borderline Personality Disorder

Third thread now...bored of me yet???
    Been to see my CPN this morning and she's told me I have BPD. This was a bit of a shock as I have never heard of it before and once she explained what it was I was quite relieved as it all seems to make sense now. Apparently, 75% or sufferers either self harm or attempt suicide and have had a traumatic childhood suffering abuse etc. i would just like to say that I had an average childhood,good times and bad, was never beaten and certainly never abused, have never self harmed or attempted suicide. believe me i have thought about it a few times but could never do it as I have 2 children to think about. I just want to say that not everyone diagnosed with this is in the same "bracket" and should not be "stigmatised" (sorry to use that disgusting word but i think we're all used to it!) it is a god awful thing to have to deal with and explain to your friends and family as as soon as you mention "personality disorder", they think its a posh, up to date, PC word for "schizophrenia", but you just don't want to tell them that! It is not terribly dissimilar but not the same. i have been looking through the threads and only come across one other person on here with BPD and would like to find out as much as I can about it so if anyone can help please let me know xxx

Re: BPD Borderline Personality Disorder

I have BPD, had it for several years and I'm on a waiting list for DBT.

I'm off to bed soon but if it's okay I'll post some links for you tomorrow.

Gordon

One thing though, the main BPD forum is full of confrontational people and can seem a very scary place. I don't post there myself but be your own judge.

Gordon

To be honest I hadn't heard of this before but my wife has suffered from schizophrenia from before I knew her. The film "A Beautiful Mind" which is on TV over the weekend is a pretty close example of her illness. I certainly wouldn't call your disorder a PC word for my wifes illness.

I think that when your cpn says abuse, it can mean things as simple as not being giving enough attention when young or being put down all the time. I think it's not always clear cut.

I hope this is ok, as promised some links for you:

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/infor...e/#emotionally

http://www.magellanassist.com/mem/li...6&CategoryId=1

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/

http://www.bpdworld.org/ (the parent site of the forum that I mentioned. The forum is quite controversial IMO as bad language is accepted and many people are quite rude IMO but it's a decent resource if you paper over that. I thought some places were "stifling" me with their rules but I just had a read over there and I can see why sites have rules now!)

Hope that helps a bit

Gordon

Also this thread from a while back you may find helpful - there's not many of us here with BPD but there's a fair few still.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18200

Quote Originally Posted by louwilliams View Post
    Third thread now...bored of me yet???
    Been to see my CPN this morning and she's told me I have BPD. This was a bit of a shock as I have never heard of it before and once she explained what it was I was quite relieved as it all seems to make sense now. Apparently, 75% or sufferers either self harm or attempt suicide and have had a traumatic childhood suffering abuse etc. i would just like to say that I had an average childhood,good times and bad, was never beaten and certainly never abused, have never self harmed or attempted suicide. believe me i have thought about it a few times but could never do it as I have 2 children to think about. I just want to say that not everyone diagnosed with this is in the same "bracket" and should not be "stigmatised" (sorry to use that disgusting word but i think we're all used to it!) it is a god awful thing to have to deal with and explain to your friends and family as as soon as you mention "personality disorder", they think its a posh, up to date, PC word for "schizophrenia", but you just don't want to tell them that! It is not terribly dissimilar but not the same. i have been looking through the threads and only come across one other person on here with BPD and would like to find out as much as I can about it so if anyone can help please let me know xxx
    hi lou,
    its nice to meet you please take care. i have heard of bpd,though mostly i have high anxiety and panic dissorder.
    please take care
    linda x x x

Hiya Lou,

I have traits of BPD, I have been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder. I have been told by afew Psychiatrists that BPD traits are usually found in most acute Mental Health Illnesses, so although I haven't been diagnosed with this illness I can understand some of the feelings you may feel.

I used to self harm, but lately have managed to find a way to control my inner feelings. It's been tough, really hard but like as you say having children I find helps us to look in a more positive way.

I would honestly say that my childhood wasn't so good, with physical and emotional abuse, but as time goes by I'm managing to put things behind me, step by step.

pm me if you ever need a chat x

It's pointless, I just deleted this cos I'll be the bad guy again :(
    Last edited by Gordon; 16-01-08 at 13:07. Reason: Cos some peeps will just never understand

Please can I refer people back to this thread:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...=18200&page=13

There are several of us with BPD explaining what it's like on there.

I come in near the end at page 13 as it had been going for some time before I joined.

Katie said I use BPD as an excuse in another thread. I'm sorry but that's rubbish. Inappropriate anger is one of the major symptoms - you get so mad that you don't think straight. How is not being able to control your thoughts and actions through no fault of your own "an excuse"? Not having a go just pointing out that I don't think some of you fully understand the symptoms of this thing.

Also please go to Wikipedia and type in BPD - it's a good article that points out the major symptoms. This isn't merely anxiety although anxiety is a part of it. It's far more complex than that. I was so upset when people said I wasn't anxious. It seems that it's okay for people who don't live with me or hang out with me to judge me based on a few words that I type when I'm on the downside of one of my moodswings. When you're consumed with rage, you don't stop to think "hey there's a few people who think they're better than me out there who might not like this", you just type it without thinking.

BPD is no joke.

Gordon
    Last edited by Gordon; 16-01-08 at 13:13. Reason: typo again - typing too fast lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information