Thread: Boiled a kettle which had water in it from a week ago, legionnaires disease?

Boiled a kettle which had water in it from a week ago, legionnaires disease?

Hi all,
    I know this is probably crazy but I'm so scared.
    I was about to boil some water in a kettle which I haven't used for a week. The kettle still had some water in it, I freaked because I know stagnant water can cause legionnaires disease.

The water had previously been boiled so I assume that helps. I boiled the kettle and left the room while it was boiling, I then left it a few minutes and boiled it again.
    I then emptied it and refilled it from the tap (whilst holding my breath) using the spout and boiled it twice more.

I then went back in the kitchen and opened the back door to get plenty of air in there. It's been 2 hours now so I feel like I'm safe to go back I there, but I'm still worried. I wonder if there had been any vapour from when it boiled the first time with will still be in the air and could I breathe it in?

On top of this I'm just getting over a very mild version coronavirus!
    Thanks all for reading.
    Nighttime pacer

Re: Boiled a kettle which had water in it from a week ago, legionnaires disease?

Think about it. What happens when you boil water? How are many things sterilized?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Boiled a kettle which had water in it from a week ago, legionnaires disease?

Thanks for that Fishmanpa. My only concern was about water vapour coming out of the kettle before boiling point. I wasn't in the room though.
    My health anxiety really sucks at the moment!

Water sits in my kettle for over a week sometimes and no-one has ever become ill because of it.

I think you are massively overthinking this one

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks so much for that administrator. I ended up contacting a 24hr doctor online and paying for a quick chat on the phone. The doctor said it’s really really unlikely because the water had boiled, and if I wasn’t there in the room when it boiled it’s even less likely. I’ll try and stop worrying now especially as I’ve got a couple of mild Coronavirus symptoms which are not major and just need to relax, rest and get better. Thanks all x

Who on earth did you pay for a chat when we have free services?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nicola, I paid for a chat because I thought if I talked to someone medically trained it would maybe quieten my anxiety, I think it has helped. Though, obviously with health anxiety there's still a part of my brain saying " ah yes, but what about" but I'm managing to ignore it. Many thanks again fro replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttime pacer View Post
    I ended up contacting a 24hr doctor online and paying for a quick chat on the phone. The doctor said it’s really really unlikely because the water had boiled, and if I wasn’t there in the room when it boiled it’s even less likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Think about it. What happens when you boil water? How are many things sterilized?
    Just saying...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information