Thread: I'm Worried About My Diastolic Blood Pressure Reading? Is it a heart problem?

I'm Worried About My Diastolic Blood Pressure Reading? Is it a heart problem?

For the past week or two, when I've taken my Blood Pressure every night, about 2 or 3 times during the last couple weeks, I've had a Diastolic of 56-58, then it goes back into the 60's. My systolic is in the low 100's.

I'm 32 female, Hypothyroid (on Eltroxin 50mg), I'm also taking 10mg of Propranolol for the last year or so for anxiety. I'm not sure if this is contributing to it.

I'm using a wrist Blood Pressure monitor that I hold up to my chest as directed, but not sure if its completely accurate, but it has me feeling incredibly anxious as I haven't had a 50's reading before, its only the last couple weeks its happened 2 or 3 times, I've put it on, and Diastolic popped up 56-58, then I took it again a couple times and it goes up to the 60's.

Because I suffer with severe anxiety, and with the worldwide pandemic which has me super anxious and worried everyday, especially caring for my parents, I'm afraid to talk to anyone about it, and I feel very scared right now. As soon as I looked it up it said Diastolic Heart Failure. So, beside the virus, I'm in panic mode again, and its like wildfire in my head.

Sometimes I do get a tight chest, and sometimes at night as I'm falling asleep I wake up feeling like I can't breath, and not its making me think.

I feel very selfish even posting this, but I'm so very afraid right now.

Re: I'm Worried About My Diastolic Blood Pressure Reading? Is it a heart problem?

It happened once again tonight. I hadn't had a low Diastolic reading in the past 2 weeks, but tonight, when I put the wrist BP on my left arm, and put it to my chest, the first reading Diastolic came up 56. Then, I took my BP again about 2/3 times, and the rest of the Diastolic readings went back up into the 70's.

Why is this happening? Is it the wrist BP, or am I getting a low Diastolic reading sometimes for what reason, I'm very worried, it makes me feel scared. This virus is hard enough to worry about, but then things happen that set off my anxiety and stress even further.

I read about slow blood flow, heart failure, failing to pump blood all to do with low Diastolic. Why does the first Diastolic reading come back at something like 56? Then it goes back up after I take it 2/3 times more into the 60/70's.

I'm just so scared all the time, and then this happens too, makes me even worse.

Re: I'm Worried About My Diastolic Blood Pressure Reading? Is it a heart problem?

Propanolol is a beta blocker, so it will lower your blood pressure which is what it is supposed to be prescribed for. I personally don't reckon it for anxiety. All it does is deal with the physical effects of anxiety - rapid heart rate, sweating, etc - and does nothing to address the mental stuff. My Dad was on it for decades and he still suffered from panic attacks and anxiety. Only when he started an SSRI med did his anxiety get tons better.

Try not to worry. I have BP that runs on the low side. I have been between 90-100 systolic and 40-70 diastolic for YEARS AND YEARS. Even during a panic attack, my blood pressure drops, rather than rises. It went as low as 70/40 during a massive panic I had at work many years ago that resulted in me passing out (Luckily, I was a nurse and had a BP machine and a doctor to hand!)

You need to try to stop checking your BP. It won't do your worry and anxiety any good. Your BP will ebb and flow according to many things - your position (standing, laying down or sitting), your mental state and even your hydration levels. If you are dehydrated, your BP will be low.

My suggestion would be to get rid of that monitor, assuming you are not wearing it for medical reasons/doctor advice. What purpose is it serving for you? Instead of comforting you that your BP is not high (which is much more of a worry than low BP), it is just freaking you out. Try not to worry, but I know how anxiety makes this very hard as a sufferer myself. I am sure you are just fine. I have had this myself for many many years, am 49 years old this year and am still here to tell the tale!

Hugs to you.

Hi, sorry for late reply! Yeah I do agree 100% with you, it is more of a comforting thing than a medical one in reality. I have OCD, so its almost like a routine to check it, which is something I have to break out of, the current situation is making it a little more difficult but I'm use to being at home because of work anyway. It's just breaking that cycle I need to try work on. Thanks for being so understanding, its really helpful. I just need something to focus my mind on, which is hard because everything is stressful at the moment, but I'll just try take it one day at a time.

Thanks again for replying! Hugs to you too!

I got a whooshing noise in my left ear today, it only started today, and lasts a few seconds. Sounds like a pulse but 'woooosshing' in my ear. I Googled (I know) and very frightening things came up like strokes, heart attacks, aneurysms and artery problems, which has got me slightly panicky tonight.

I only noticed it tonight, and only lasting a few seconds and in the left ear. I'm on Propranolol 10mg for anxiety, and my BP seems normal so it has me a bit anxious and panicky. Not sure what it is?

Thread Information