Thread: 3 months of enlarged lymph nodes - lymphoma fear

3 months of enlarged lymph nodes - lymphoma fear

Im so worried. I noticed a small pea sized lump in my groin about 3 months ago. Wasnt too worried about it as I figuired its probably always been there and I've just never noticed, but then a couple of weeks later another appeared slightly further up the groin.
    Over the last 3 months multiple lymph nodes have swollen up in both sides of my groin. They dont hurt to touch but there is a general achy feeling around the groin area.
    Ive been to the dr 3 times about it, everything I read online suggests lymphoma. The dr did blood test that was normal, and so have just shrugged it off. After the 3rd visit and the dr just shrugging it off like it's fine, I dont know where to go from here.
    Its been 3 months, I have no signs of infection, I havnt been unwell at all so there is no reason why more and more lymph nodes keep swelling, and now with coronavirus I dont even think the drs would be able to book me for any further tests even if they wanted to.
    How long should I wait before making another appointment? I dont want to waste there time to just keep getting told the same thing and getting nowhere.

Re: 3 months of enlarged lymph nodes - lymphoma fear

HI Katie_Cupcakes

To answer your question, "How long should I wait before making another appointment", in my opinion, you move on from this and don't worry about how long to wait. You've been the doctor 3 times and the doctor has given you the all clear. Remember, your doctor is a medically trained professional. Find other lymph node threads on here and you'll see the urgency doctors put into testing when they suspect something suspicious. Your doctor's lack of concern is not an indication of him fobbing you off, rather it's his expert opinion that there isn't something to worry about.

Also, some facts to ground you in reality may be helpful. First, you've had this for three months and have no other indications of sickness. Lymphoma, generally, is aggressive. You don't just get a few swollen lymph nodes and nothing else. It usually involves systemic issues which you stated you are not experiencing. Second, the groin is notorious for having lymph nodes and larger lymph nodes at that. You have described yours as "pea size". This is the normal size of lymph nodes. Actually, groin lymph nodes can be up to 2cm and still be normal.

As someone who has spent a good amount of time stressing over lymph nodes and lymphoma, please trust me when I say to trust your doctor.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Re: 3 months of enlarged lymph nodes - lymphoma fear

My sister is currently battling non Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It only took her a week to get diagnosed, and within a week after diagnosis she was starting treatment because she was so, so sick - hospitalization type sick. It moved that quick. I think if this has been going on for three months now you would have most definitely developed other symptoms (at the very least) or be so sick you wouldn’t be posting on here. I truly think you can move on from this worry.

Thread Information