Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Time lockdown will last?

Re: Time lockdown will last?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Here's the thing as well. Even with a limited re-opening of some businesses like wineries and restaurants, its like putting a band aid on a 6" gash. For many people and small businesses, they've lost too much blood and its too late. I have the feeling we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg of how this crisis has and will affect the world economically. Positive thoughts
    Yes, it is happening in most countries, including ours (NZ) unfortunately a worldwide depression will ensue.

Good that you and your wife are staying safe, so are we even with the country opening up.

The Second Great Depression. I knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    The Second Great Depression. I knew it.
    At worst, the 'Second Great Recession' perhaps, but still not quite so sure about a full-on 'Second Great Depression' ATM.

I think some people confuse (and misname) the terms 'recession' and 'depression', both of which are highly emotive terms that the media often tend to revel in. Even the term 'recession' itself gets misused on occasions, as its definition (in 'absolute' terms), from an economic sense, is two or more consecutive quarters (three-month periods) of economic contraction, where the 'misnomer' of the term is often used to describe often lengthy periods of general financial hardship.

I'm not in any way trivialising the issue and sitting with my head in the sand, but it is important to remember that the world is a very different place now to what it was some 90 years ago, when we had the previous 'Great Depression'.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    So what happens if I cannot return to work and my employer cannot pay a percentage??

Its still not clear imo. Saying that their ‘asking’ employers to contribute leaves it open for questioning.....
    Further clarification on this matter:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-29/...loughed-staff/

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread Information