Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 yr old daughter's feet don't feel right

12 yr old daughter's feet don't feel right

I'm really doing my best to control my ha at the moment. I'm determined to get fit again so I've started going for walks (baby steps I know but have to start somewhere), even had a green smoothie today. But my anxiety is still very high and I can't help but worry about my daughter who's 12.
    The past couple of nights she has said her feet feel weird when she gets into bed. She said it's hard to describe it, kind of a bit hot, but just more weird than anything. I asked her is it like pins and needles and she said no. I don't want to ask her too much as I don't want her to think I'm worried. So I don't know if they feel a little bit numb or not. It kept her awake for a while 2 nights ago it was annoying her so much. She was asking me is it bad circulation and I just said I don't know.
    I don't let her see how worried I am but inside I'm really scared. I'm thinking the worst, like MS or something. My husband thinks I'm over reacting but he's the complete opposite to me when it comes to worry and anxiety.
    I'm scared because I don't know what it could be without thinking the worst.
    Any thoughts on this, what the less serious possibilities could be?

Re: 12 yr old daughter's feet don't feel right

I'm really worrying about this now. It's happened her for the past couple of nights. I can't help but worry about MS or something like that.

I was looking through my previous posts a while ago and I posted something similar nearly 3 years ago. A weird feeling she was getting in her feet, usually when she went to bed. But back then she was after getting a pair of heely shoes, and a lot of people on the forum put it down to the shoes. She stopped wearing them and shortly after that she stopped complaining about it.

But she's not wearing any heelys now, just ordinary runners that she always wears. And she's not even exercising much due to the lockdown, doesn't even leave the house a lot of days.
    What could potentially be causing this weird feeling in her feet? Because all I can think of is the worst case scenario.

She's growing.

Growing pains maybe

Also get her to change her shoes around and not wear trainers all the time so alternate between shoes and them.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Can't see it being anything serious, possibly footwear like the above mentioned. Tight socks as well possibly?

Does she do any sports? I've had some strange foot symptoms over the years - feeling hot like your daughter has, but also like tingling. I've had this checked once, and the doctor said I'm probably irritating my sciatic nerve - either through sport, or because I sit at a desk all day.

Try and get her do to some gentle stretches to see if that helps. This one helped me a lot;

Lie on my back. Bring one knee up and pull towards my chest with my hands, hold for approx 30 seconds then relax leg back down straight. Do this 3 times. Repeat with the other leg.

There are quite a few stretches, but she is very young so be gentle and careful.

Is it in both feet? Does she wake in the night with it at all?
    I would suggest growing pains too, she’s at an age where it’s very likely.

Thank you all for replying.

To answer some of the questions:
    - I know I said she's mostly wearing runners, but when I think about it she's wearing her slippers a lot of the time lately. This is due to being in the house so much because of the lockdown

- I checked her socks and I asked her about them as well. They are definitely not too tight on her, not any bit tight at all

- She doesn't play any sport (even if she did she wouldn't have been playing it for the past few weeks anyway)

- It's both feet, and so far it hasn't woke her up at night, but did stop her getting to sleep one night

I know a few of you have said growing pains, but she doesn't say it's a pain, and when I asked her were they sore she said no. Is 'growing pains' a general term that can be used to describe a pain/sensation or any kind of unusual feeling?
    I've never heard of growing pains in the feet - I thought a person would generally get them in their legs or arms

How about restless leg syndrome? I feel like I have that some nights.

Quote Originally Posted by eevee View Post
    How about restless leg syndrome? I feel like I have that some nights.
    I've heard of it but that's about it - I don't know anything about it.
    What exactly is it? What are the symptoms and who generally gets it?

I know I could google it but ................ NO WAY. Google WILL tell me something awful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenGirl View Post
    I've heard of it but that's about it - I don't know anything about it.
    What exactly is it? What are the symptoms and who generally gets it?

I know I could google it but ................ NO WAY. Google WILL tell me something awful!!!
    I didn’t Google it much either myself, but it’s like sensations in your legs that urge you to move their legs, like feeling restless. Usually happens in the evening when you’re lying down. I don’t know if that’s what I have since it doesn’t happen constantly and like you I don’t want to Google. But it’s an uncomfortable feeling, I can’t really explain.

Or maybe she is low in vitamin D. That can cause achey bones. There were times when my legs felt uncomfortable while lying down (I wasn’t even trying to sleep) and I don’t know why but it did get better when I started taking vit D3 supplements. I’m sure your daughter is fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information