Thread: 33 weeks pregnant, asthmatic and terrified of COVID-19

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

33 weeks pregnant, asthmatic and terrified of COVID-19

Hi guys

It has been a long time since I used to regularly post here. I used to suffer horrendous health anxiety and became very unwell with my mental health after losing a baby 3 years ago. Luckily, I had a lot of help (which I continue to have) and I am doing ok. I fell pregnant again after having years of recovering from a breakdown and I am now 33 weeks pregnant.

I am asthmatic and worry what would happen if I got COVID-19 especially being heavily pregnant. I had to go to hospital yesterday and paranoid I picked it up there or could have picked it up from post/parcels or going to the supermarket (even though social distancing is in place and I am literally washing my hands so much I'm surprised I have skin left on them)

Other than suffering with anxiety early on in the pregnancy I was doing absolutely fine, been doing hynobirthing and planning a home birth now, pregnancy low risk, no problems in that respect - BUT tonight I have a sore throat and feel a bit 'off' and it has sent me spiralling.

If it wasn't for the asthma, I wouldn't be as worried - but sometimes I've had colds that have made me so unwell I've needed a course of steroids/had to call paramedics out cause of having bad asthma attacks. I am so frightened. I really don't want to be unwell right before my baby is due and I am frightened for my poor baby if I do get unwell.

I keep thinking of the cases where younger people and children have sadly lost their lives and I am terrified. Please can someone help me rationalise this/talk me down a bit? xxx

Re: 33 weeks pregnant, asthmatic and terrified of COVID-19

Just keep going as you are...do what you are doing, you are completely doing the right things... If you are really worried then see if you can get someone to do the shopping for you if that is a possibility.

You are worrying more because of what happened last time.... see if you can relax a bit, maybe guided meditation or breating exercises.

Good luck I am sure all will go well for you

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thank you

I feel a lot calmer this morning. My throat still feels a bit weird but I am trying to take my mind off it and focus on other things. I don't think I will fully relax 'til baby has arrived (and when she does arrive it will be a whole other list of worries lol) but I definitely feel less panicked today.

Guided meditation is amazing and I find it very helpful, especially at night for getting to sleep.

xxx

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. I’m 28 weeks pregnant and feeling incredibly anxious as well. I had to go to the hospital this morning for my glucose test so I was there for just over 2 hours and I can’t help but worry that I’m now infected and will become ill.

I’m terrible at rationalising for myself but maybe I can help you!

The way to rationalise is to challenge your negative thoughts. You’ve taken every step to prevent yourself from catching the virus and there is no evidence to suggest that being pregnant makes us more susceptible to catching it. If you haven’t read the recent Royal College of Gynaecologists guidance then I suggest you do. It’s informative without being scaremongering. I’d also recommend not watching the news at all. I haven’t checked the news in days and whilst my anxiety levels have been high, it’s not been as bad as when I was constantly looking at the death rates and news of people dying every single day. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. Just stay informed in terms of what you need to know being pregnant.

Try to distract yourself from worrying about your sore throat. I’ve also had a tickle in my throat but it’s been here for about 9 days now and hasn’t gotten any worse so I’m trying to tell myself that it’s unlikely to anything more than a result of being indoors constantly!

I hope you feel better. I’m currently reading the Positive Birth Company book on hypnobirthing and loving it!

Thanks

Gosh I bet that must have been tough going for your GT test. When I went for mine it was before everything got 'serious' in the UK and we were packed like sardines in a tin in the waiting room. Did they have social distancing measures in place? If so, take comfort in that. What has really helped me worry less is knowing our hospital has very strict measures in place. It feels strange, but it is reassuring too.

The RCOG guidance is really useful, I keep checking their website to see if it changes. It's the best advice I have seen so far to be honest and you know its legitimate as well. Having a break from the news is helpful too, I had a day last week where I almost avoided it entirely and I felt much better. I came off Facebook too and that also helped.

Yes the throat thing could be due to me being indoors more, that did cross my mind. Also I have been going a bit OTT with cleaning and it could be all the bleach fumes setting me off

Glad the book is helping you! Hynobirthing is so useful. I hope all goes well for you!

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake293 View Post
    Thanks

Gosh I bet that must have been tough going for your GT test. When I went for mine it was before everything got 'serious' in the UK and we were packed like sardines in a tin in the waiting room. Did they have social distancing measures in place? If so, take comfort in that. What has really helped me worry less is knowing our hospital has very strict measures in place. It feels strange, but it is reassuring too.

The RCOG guidance is really useful, I keep checking their website to see if it changes. It's the best advice I have seen so far to be honest and you know its legitimate as well. Having a break from the news is helpful too, I had a day last week where I almost avoided it entirely and I felt much better. I came off Facebook too and that also helped.

Yes the throat thing could be due to me being indoors more, that did cross my mind. Also I have been going a bit OTT with cleaning and it could be all the bleach fumes setting me off

Glad the book is helping you! Hynobirthing is so useful. I hope all goes well for you!

xxx
    There was social distancing in place at the hospital with chairs spaced out (could have been further spaced in my opinion but never mind!) and there were only 6 of us sat waiting during the 2 hours.

None of us pregnant ladies were wearing masks but all midwives, nurses and admin staff wandering around and past me were wearing masks! Luckily nobody coughed in my vicinity so I’m telling myself that as long as that’s the case then I should be okay! I’ve been struggling to stop picturing the virus just hanging in the air waiting for some unsuspecting victim (ie me!) to latch itself onto!

Thread Information