Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Social distancing

Social distancing

I heard it could last until 2022 this is very depressing. Having to walk miles away from people for many months or years to come. Surely they could have a vaccine before it goes on this long?

Re: Social distancing

2m not miles and they have no idea.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I heard it could last until 2022 this is very depressing. Having to walk miles away from people for many months or years to come. Surely they could have a vaccine before it goes on this long?
    It’s unlikely to last that long, not at this level anyway. Right now it’s all about getting the spread under control, which is probably the most difficult task. China and South Korea are pretty much already there in that regard, Germany, Italy and Spain are also showing small signs.

When the rate of transition from one person falls below one, the virus will have nowhere to go. Right now the transmission rate is 2.5 people for every one person they come into contact with. If you get it to a point of one person getting the infection from one other person, it becomes easier to isolate infected people and trace recent contacts.

There’s also a huge push for treatments and undoubtedly a few will arise over the next few months. There’s a huge effort in finding vaccination also. To my knowledge at least 7 are ready for human trails and one has actually already got to that point.

If we need to keep a distance from people for a few months in order to get to these points, well, so be it. It’s not ideal by any means but it’s a small price to pay in order to save a lot of lives wouldn’t you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    It’s unlikely to last that long, not at this level anyway. Right now it’s all about getting the spread under control, which is probably the most difficult task. China and South Korea are pretty much already there in that regard, Germany, Italy and Spain are also showing small signs.

When the rate of transition from one person falls below one, the virus will have nowhere to go. Right now the transmission rate is 2.5 people for every one person they come into contact with. If you get it to a point of one person getting the infection from one other person, it becomes easier to isolate infected people and trace recent contacts.

There’s also a huge push for treatments and undoubtedly a few will arise over the next few months. There’s a huge effort in finding vaccination also. To my knowledge at least 7 are ready for human trails and one has actually already got to that point.

If we need to keep a distance from people for a few months in order to get to these points, well, so be it. It’s not ideal by any means but it’s a small price to pay in order to save a lot of lives wouldn’t you say?
    I agree but I read comments about 2022 and the Dutch said it may become a long term thing which I hope is not the case

Heres what I read earlier

The Netherlands is looking at ways to ease lockdown measures, but life may never go back to the way it was BC (before coronavirus). Social distancing is here to stay, says Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

"We should all start thinking about how we can adapt still further to the 1.5-metre society. The way back will be step by step and based on science," he told reporters. (In some parts of Europe, people are told to keep at least 1.5 metres away from others, although the WHO guidance says two metres.)

If the curve of hospital and intensive care admissions continues to level off, the Dutch lockdown measures could be eased from 28 April.

But Mr Rutte cautions against any hurry. "We have an intelligent lockdown. It will be an intelligent un-lockdown.”

I agree but I read comments about 2022 and the Dutch said it may become a long term thing which I hope is not the case

The Netherlands is looking at ways to ease lockdown measures, but life may never go back to the way it was BC (before coronavirus). Social distancing is here to stay, says Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

"We should all start thinking about how we can adapt still further to the 1.5-metre society. The way back will be step by step and based on science," he told reporters. (In some parts of Europe, people are told to keep at least 1.5 metres away from others, although the WHO guidance says two metres.)

If the curve of hospital and intensive care admissions continues to level off,
    the Dutch lockdown measures could be eased from 28 April.

But Mr Rutte cautions against any hurry. "We have an intelligent lockdown.
    It will be an intelligent un-lockdown.

It can't be 'here to stay' and also end.

You're cherry picking your own interpretation of what you don't want to see happen, and deciding that's what's going to happen.

If the curve of hospital and intensive care admissions continues to level off, the Dutch lockdown measures could be eased from 28 April.

But Mr Rutte cautions against any hurry. "We have an intelligent lockdown. It will be an intelligent un-lockdown.”
    Not everything you read or hear via the press is the truth! Most newspapers and some TV stations catastrophise to get their ratings up. This social distancing could last a long time as community spread has to be stamped out (as well as those returning to a country who need to be quarantined) or maybe until a vaccine has been found.

The amount of continuing community spread, depends on how well people can follow the rules and isolate. This takes self control and discipline. I'm 63 and consider I'm lucky to have not experienced a war like my parents and grandparents did, this was true hardship all round, likewise the Spanish 'flu of 1918. Now this pandemic has brought hardship again for our world in another form. We must have patience and perseverance and for many this will test their metal (inner strength).

We in NZ went into an early enforced lockdown 2 weeks ago for 1 month, our PM was straight talking and direct in her approach, there would be penalties for those who flouted the rules! She said 'act like you have covid19' isolate, and when you go out for a walk be considerate of others and be kind.'
    Mostly our covid cases are flattening, yesterday there were more recoveries than confirmed cases. However the govt wants to stamp it out, not just get it under control and this will take time, likely many months. We have closed our borders and they will stay closed except for returning Kiwi's (NZers). We are a small nation of 4.8 million people, so larger nations will take much longer to recover as the complexities are much more diverse.

In times like this, the economy has to be second to human lives and survival. There will be a world recession and the World will not be the same as it was, which was how much of the world was after the Great wars. Bemoaning your circumstances is a waste of time and ramps up anxiety. Be grateful for what you do have be kind to yourself and others ... we are all in this together.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Not everything you read or hear via the press is the truth! Most newspapers and some TV stations catastrophise to get their ratings up. This social distancing could last a long time as community spread has to be stamped out (as well as those returning to a country who need to be quarantined) or maybe until a vaccine has been found.

The amount of continuing community spread, depends on how well people can follow the rules and isolate. This takes self control and discipline. I'm 63 and consider I'm lucky to have not experienced a war like my parents and grandparents did, this was true hardship all round, likewise the Spanish 'flu of 1918. Now this pandemic has brought hardship again for our world in another form. We must have patience and perseverance and for many this will test their metal (inner strength).

We in NZ went into an early enforced lockdown 2 weeks ago for 1 month, our PM was straight talking and direct in her approach, there would be penalties for those who flouted the rules! She said 'act like you have covid19' isolate, and when you go out for a walk be considerate of others and be kind.'
    Mostly our covid cases are flattening, yesterday there were more recoveries than confirmed cases. However the govt wants to stamp it out, not just get it under control and this will take time, likely many months. We have closed our borders and they will stay closed except for returning Kiwi's (NZers). We are a small nation of 4.8 million people, so larger nations will take much longer to recover as the complexities are much more diverse.

In times like this, the economy has to be second to human lives and survival. There will be a world recession and the World will not be the same as it was, which was how much of the world was after the Great wars. Bemoaning your circumstances is a waste of time and ramps up anxiety. Be grateful for what you do have be kind to yourself and others ... we are all in this together.
    I loved how your PM told the kids the Easter bunny was exempt so will still be coming

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    It can't be 'here to stay' and also end.

You're cherry picking your own interpretation of what you don't want to see happen, and deciding that's what's going to happen.
    Agreed. I can't find some of this searching Google other than a post of another forum. I suspect much of this has been written a certain way and doesn't reflect a long term view by the Dutch, more what they are doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I loved how your PM told the kids the Easter bunny was exempt so will still be coming
    Haha yes I love her motherly touch while showing tough leadership. She put a downloadable Easter egg on the Govt site for NZ kids to colour and display in their windows at home, she included her email address so they could send her photos of their eggs. She and her partner Clarke Gayford have a 21 month old daughter, so she leads a very full, active life. She turns 40 this year

Jacinda Ardern ... lockdown with a toddler!
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle...ectid=12323603
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 09-04-20 at 02:46.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Haha yes I love her motherly touch while showing tough leadership. She put a downloadable Easter egg on the Govt site for NZ kids to colour and display in their windows at home, she included her email address so they could send her photos of their eggs. She and her partner Clarke Gayford have a 21 month old daughter, so she leads a very full, active life. She turns 40 this year
    I must admit, I have been surprised by just how well your PM has handled this. I didn't have a very good impression of her before all this, I wrongly assumed she was just another careerist globalist politician who was a bought and paid for puppet, trying to throw open NZ to the whole world with virtually no border control. I'm glad to say I was very wrong in my assessment of her, she actually is a patriotic leader who has acted quickly and wisely to protect her country. Well done her!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information