Thread: Coping techniques for physical symptoms

Coping techniques for physical symptoms

So basically I have more or less conquered my thoughts and perpetuating thought processes which trigger my panic but it’s the physical symptoms I can’t stop!!

I can just be sat down and it all bubbles in my blood and I can feel my heart beating like a drum tightness in my chest and agitation building! Has anyone found any effective techniques to reduce this or irradiate this entirely! I have down breathing I have gone for walks to to burn my energy off and yet still it keeps creeping up please has anyone got any tips that have worked?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Coping techniques for physical symptoms

Distraction is key for me. If I’m too far into the “symptoms” no amount of reading or watching TV helps distract me. Surprisingly the thing that I can get super focused on which completely distracts me from the symptoms is sewing lol. I’m working on a quilt that requires a lot of hand sewing. I don’t know why it distracts me so much but it does, so I’m not arguing with it lol. Do you have any hobbies or could you try like a jigsaw puzzle or even something simple like coloring a complex design?

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    Distraction is key for me. If I’m too far into the “symptoms” no amount of reading or watching TV helps distract me. Surprisingly the thing that I can get super focused on which completely distracts me from the symptoms is sewing lol. I’m working on a quilt that requires a lot of hand sewing. I don’t know why it distracts me so much but it does, so I’m not arguing with it lol. Do you have any hobbies or could you try like a jigsaw puzzle or even something simple like coloring a complex design?
    I crochet it can help at times and not at others I know what you mean though it’s a distraction that gets you in a zone to take over your mind!
    Problem is if I’m doing something and it starts it’s a nightmare!
    We had an emergency yesterday I had to take my grandmas cat to an emergency vet and whist I was there I came over in a panic attack so I walked around the car park four times to try to calm it down because you weren’t allowed in the building and I think the vet nurse was anxious when she came to get the cat off me which set me if bizarrely mike I caught my panic attack from her! When the vet came out I was fine! Bizarre

In my experience this isn't something that you can quick fix. You really have to try and stand back and think of the bigger picture.

Using breathing techniques, meditation, mild exercise etc will help in the long term for sure. You may get some immediate relief from meditation and breathing slowly too, but you have to give your entire central nervous system time to come down again and this can take a while.

In the meantime, it's best to accept that the physical symptoms are here for now, but they're not permanent. Accepting them and not reacting to them is another level of recovery.

A good analogy is a hangover from drinking too much. The reality is it will be there until your body gets over the 'trauma' of alcohol and you have to wait it out. What you're experiencing now is the same kind of thing, on a bigger scale.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    In my experience this isn't something that you can quick fix. You really have to try and stand back and think of the bigger picture.

Using breathing techniques, meditation, mild exercise etc will help in the long term for sure. You may get some immediate relief from meditation and breathing slowly too, but you have to give your entire central nervous system time to come down again and this can take a while.

In the meantime, it's best to accept that the physical symptoms are here for now, but they're not permanent. Accepting them and not reacting to them is another level of recovery.

A good analogy is a hangover from drinking too much. The reality is it will be there until your body gets over the 'trauma' of alcohol and you have to wait it out. What you're experiencing now is the same kind of thing, on a bigger scale.
    I thought the same I was just trying to figure a quicker cure but seems like patience will be my only option thank ankietyjoe x

Perhaps given that we all now have more free time, you could experiment with meditation more? It works on multiple levels, not only giving an immediate 'quiet time', but it's also very effective at bringing your entire central nervous system down over time.

In the short term most people find that when they meditate they can sense their mind and body buzzing, which makes them feel uncomfortable a lot of the time, but meditation is about being aware of that buzz, accepting it and not putting any importance on it. That in itself can break the self perpetuating nature of long term physical symptoms.

Thread Information