Hi all,

I was on 20mg citalopram for about three years and gradually reduced my dose to 5mg. Going to zero from there proved to be a problem. Tinnitus, "humming" in my body - not unbearable but unpleasant. The second time I "relapsed," I went back to a 2,5mg dose, which I realize is pretty ridiculous, but it worked just fine. After about a week on 2,5mg, I decided to go off again. Like a clockwork, on the third day of zero, the discontinuation effects roared back today.

I'm okay with staying on an SSRI if need be, but I want to be done with citalopram. My doctor prescribed sertraline a while ago, so today - about 60 hours since my last mini dose of citalopram - I took a quarter of a 25mg sertraline pill, which was probably a stupid idea; I should just make up my mind and then stay the course.

Anyway, I'm a bit at a loss about what to do now. Here are some questions:

1. If I stay on SSRIs, my understanding is that I should be able to switch from citalopram to sertraline without a washout period, especially since my doses are so tiny. Does this sound correct?

2. Is there any harm in staying on those tiny doses of citalopram/sertraline for another while? Maybe it'll be easier to quit when the world in general is a bit less crazy than right now. I have to say that I'm in a good place mentally right now, and I feel like some of the sexual side effects I had on 20mg citalopram have subsided, so I'd rather not go back up unless my anxiety comes back.

3. If I decide to quit now, how long do those darn effects possibly last? I can't believe I had ZERO problems going from 20 to 10mg, but that those last milligrams are so tough...

Thanks for reading this mess!