Thread: Odd feeling of distraction!?

Odd feeling of distraction!?

Hi all,

I keep getting a really odd feeling, and wondered if anyone can relate / explain it.

I get the feeling there is a huge thought in the back of my mind, but I don't know what it is.
    It seems to occupy so much of my attention, and makes me very anxious, but I don't know what it is!
    It's almost the same feeling as if you can't remember someone's name, or I've forgotten to do something.

Might sound very crazy, but it stops me relaxing, and grows bigger when I'm trying to relax, like when I go to sleep.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Phil.

Re: Odd feeling of distraction!?

I know this is a fairly old post, but I think I can relate. When I'm going through an episode of anxiety and depression (and my episodes can go on for weeks or months), I feel like there's always a bad feeling in the back of my mind. It's as if I'm afraid to forget that I'm going through an anxiety episode. It means I'm constantly checking myself for anxiety symptoms (such as fast heartrate or muscle tension), and I have to consciously tell myself not to keep chrcking myself as it will only feed the anxiety further. Even at night when I'm about to go to sleep, I can feel it there in the back of my mind. What I don't like is that the feeling almost seems sinister - it's hard to explain. I listen to meditation recordings and even sleep stories on apps such as Calm and Headspace, but when I'm anxious it feels almost like I'm afraid to let go and just enjoy the recordings.

When I last saw a therapist 5 years ago (my last major anxiety and depression episode), I mentioned this to her, and she said she understood what I meant, that it's like a constant feeling of anxiety gnawing in the back of your mind. She said the best way of dealing with it is to remind yourself that you are safe right now, that there isn't a tiger in the room or a bomb about to go off! I find that advice somewhat helpful, although it is difficult. My own anxiety has started to come back more in the last 2 or 3 weeks or so. I'm going through my old posts to remind me of the things that helped me last time around.

Re: Odd feeling of distraction!?

This describes it perfectly to be honest, although mine has moved on somewhat now, that is exactly how I felt.

I hope you're doing OK.

Thread Information