Thread: Worst fear ever come true?

Worst fear ever come true?

Hello, I haven't been on this forum for a while. I'm really struggling with crippling anxiety and depression right now like a lot of you. I have an intense fear of my mum passing away. All my life it has been a crippling worry and when anxiety has been crazy, this is the all encompassing fear that ruminates 24/7. Has anyone else had this fear then had to go through the pain of the fear being a reality? Just to know that people have coped through it would help me. I can't cope right now so I can't even imagine what it would be like if something happens.

Thank you for reading

Re: Worst fear ever come true?

Hello there. I am also suffering with anxiety, health anxiety to be more specific. I don't know what answer should I give you to make you feel better, but I'm going to give you my honest answer.

We usually worry about the worst and most of the times thankfuly - the worst doesn't happen. We, anxiety sufereres are maestros on creating awful scenarios. We'd put to shame movie creators with our imagination.

Do not expect the unexpected. I know it's more easy to be said than done, but try not to worry and focus on your life goals.

Friendliest hug,

Hello,

Kind of weird that I log back in after a few months away from this site and this is the first post I see. I'm not totally sure if my answer will be able to ease any anxieties you have because I'm actually someone who's worst fears have actually come true. I've always been terrified of my mum dying and whenever I'd think about it it would fill me with an intense fear and doom but my mum actually did die, really suddenly about 7 months ago. I was at the airport with her about to go to Spain together and she collapsed at the bag drop section of the airport and was rushed to the hospital where we found she'd had a brain aneurism. She was only 59 and funnily enough it's her 60th birthday today.

It was a really horrible experience that knocked me sideways and has done ever since and I keep replaying the days leading up to it, even the minutes leading up to it where she and i were laughing and joking around, I tend to replay it all and wish I could've known for even a second that it was going to happen. The plus side of it is that my biggest fear has already happened, and I'm still alive, I'm still kickin ya know. Yes, it was a horrible experience to go through, inevitable for everyone though, some far too early. I'm still getting up and going about my day and it does get easier to deal with through time. I think about her every single day and nights obviously much harder. I'd say just enjoy every second you have with her, tell her over and over again how much you love her. Never sweat the small stuff and make sure you never regret anything when she does die one day.

Sadtimes....That was a very kind and insightful post despite this being a very difficult day for you.

My daughter is terrified of me dying but I'm sure she would cope just fine without me...probably better! obviously all the Covid stuff has highlighted her fears as I'm 61 and "old" in her eyes! Truth is she can't stop me dying one day but being terribly anxious about it will spoil the time I do have left with her and who knows..I could live to be 100, heaven forbid!

Bereavement is ghastly but we all have to endure it and live with it somehow. We carry our memories which never die but it's a while before we are able to accept this.

You enjoy having your Mum around, Disco. Don't dread losing her-you will regret wasting precious time with her consumed with fear.

Thank you sadtimes for posting that. I am so sorry what has happened to you, I can't imagine what you have been going through.

Thread Information