Hi everyone,

I've had periods of quite bad anxiety in the past and under lockdown my anxiety has resurfaced. It's not as bad as it sometimes is (no lying on the floor sobbing thankfully) but it's constant and low level, and manifesting in me becoming very obsessed with monitoring things - particularly the fridge! (I know this is weird)

We have an under the counter fridge with a small icebox at the top. Ice tends to build up on the door of the icebox and underneath it, at the top of the fridge, so it has to be defrosted about 3 times a year. For some reason I have become fixated on monitoring the levels of ice, and obsessing about the noises the fridge makes and whether it's going to suddenly die or not. I have no reason to think that it will except that occasionally when I have had to switch it off or defrost it it has taken a while to turn back on, and I have had to fiddle with the controls for a while/switch it on and off at the wall repeatedly. I've honestly kept myself up at night worrying about the fridge dying and having to get it replaced!

I know it's anxiety about something I believe I have some level of control over but it's become really hard to keep a handle on, which sounds silly! I know that in a worst case scenario I would just have to cope without a fridge for a few days and my landlord would replace it, but the thought of it breaking has a real emotional pull over me at the moment. Has anyone else coped with their anxiety attaching to seemingly trivial things? How do I actually implement CBT about it and get it to stick!?