Thread: Today was a sad day....

Today was a sad day....

I’m not too sure where to post this I guess I’m just looking for emotional support.

My grandmas cat has been sick and I have been the one shouldering the responsibility of taking her to and from the vet for the last three weeks. Today the vet said there was no more that could be done and she had deteriorated too far and the kindest thing was to put her to sleep.

Each time I left with the little cat to go to the vets my grans parting words were “don’t let them put her to sleep” and I promised as far as I could that they wouldn’t do that.

Today I guess I couldn’t keep that promise and ultimately the vet had to ring my gran for her permission and explained what was happening however I had to sign the paper, say the goodbyes and send the cat to kitty heaven.

I know this was right she was very sick and the vets ultimately said due to the severity of her deterioration they could highly suspect she had cancer. But now! I am a mess.

I feel sick with GUILT!!
    Oh the guilt of only had I done something else should I have not taken her to the vet? I have no idea my brain is wrecked and I’m on the verge of tears. Constantly! I feel sick myself and devastated she’s died. Should I have done it all different? Should I have taken the little cat back for a final goodbye to my grandma I just don’t know. I’m so sad I have got so much tension in my brain and my body. I did have a panic attack but then I was crying the emotions are so intense and painful. I’m assuming grief and shock would be a top two emotions here.

But none the less guilt is wrecking me right now and heartbreak for my grandma and grandpa that they have lost their little friend at this time of life!

So sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Today was a sad day....

oh that's sad so sorry to hear it, but please don't feel guilty if the little cat wasn't well it was the kindest thing to do, its horrible when we lose our pets and I'm sure they don't blame you please don't blame yourself xx

best wishes

I'm so very sorry.

Take comfort in the fact that you showed tremendous bravery and did the right thing.

Thank you guys I’m hurting I can’t stop crying xx

Your grandma's poor little cat was suffering so ultimately it would come down to prolonging her life to keep your Grandma happy or putting an end to her suffering which the vet advised was the kindest thing..We should always act in the pet's best interests and not our own emotional interests so there was no option to delay and you did the little cat the ultimate kindness and released her from her pain...

You have nothing to blame yourself for..You did what any responsible owner would do.

Sorry to hear this :( Heal.... then.... bring them joy with a kitten

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks again for your messages I’m starting to feel a bit less guilty however the grief is raw. I spoke to my grandma and she was a bit more accepting but my grandpa was in pieces. I have a headache and feel sick again. Early night for me and hope tomorrow brings a brighter day.

And your 100% right she isn’t suffering now however much it’s a responsibly decision and I would totally advocate doing the same for any sick animal it’s just the emotional attachment is so hard.

Xx

Hi , the guilt you are feeling is very normal after losing one of the family which they are , just give you my own experience, a few years ago our beloved dog became ill , we took a greedy vets advice to have expensive surgery , he suffered for three weeks and died with me at home in pain and scared , given the choice again which we will have to soon as our other dog is nearly 14 we would have let him go before things got worse , it’s the kindest thing you can do and if youve given them a happy life then there should be no guilt , the flip side to this is my daughters dog became ill at Christmas he went down hill very quickly and xrays showed cancer , the vet said it was time to let him go which they did , my daughter stayed in bed crying for two days questioning wether she could have done more for him , I reassured her she had given him a good loving home after a crap start with someone else and she had done the right thing as did you .
    It does get easier and most of us fill that void with another furry friend that needs a loving home . Take care .

Thank you buster!

One the hardest things to do in life imo.
    Phoenixess, if you'd taken the cat back to your grandparents it would have been harder all round hun. x

Thread Information