Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Phil's Covid19 Thread

I find stuff like shopping, cinema, bowling and holidays relaxing. I am sure many others feel this way too and have found these changes hard. My worry is it this goes on long term how it could affect mental health? If people canít take there annual holiday abroad? If shops close or donít go back to normal?

Sure we have best case scenarios where this virus goes away, we find a vaccine get it under control but a worst case of years of hardship or an extreme situation where some things never return to normal?

Re: Peoples mental health in a Covid 19 future

It's affecting everyone Phil. COVID-19 does not discriminate. We all have to find our ways with dealing with it. Our lives have been fundamentally changed. The fragility of life has been exposed and exploited by Mother Nature. We have no choice but to deal with it and adapt

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    It's affecting everyone Phil. COVID-19 does not discriminate. We all have to find our ways with dealing with it. Our lives have been fundamentally changed. The fragility of life has been exposed and exploited by Mother Nature. We have no choice but to deal with it and adapt

Positive thoughts

Agreed.

And on top of that, worry about stuff as it happens. Don't create imaginary scenarios that aren't yet here. Complete waste of time and mental energy. Life IS change, for better or worse, that is a Universal truth that cannot be escaped.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Agreed.
    And on top of that, worry about stuff as it happens. Don't create imaginary scenarios that aren't yet here. Complete waste of time and mental energy. Life IS change, for better or worse, that is a Universal truth that cannot be escaped.
    Central tenet of CBT for GAD: differentiating between 'hypothetical' and 'practical' worry, and managing the former. Condenses down to "I'll worry about it WHEN it happens."

Nicely put, Pamplemousse.

Phil, take each day as it comes, it's a horrible situation but the occasional upsides are lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

Positive thoughts
    I recall very similar things being said back in the very late 2000s during both the Global Financial Crisis and the Swine Flu pandemic, and all the constant talk of Armageddon by both the media and the general public at large. But we dealt with those 'extraordinary' times back then, adapted and eventually came out the other side.

I think MH amongst many was already increasingly up the creek well before all this CV malarkey kicked off at the start of the year, in many cases even going back donkeys years, with many of such issues sadly unresolved for far too long!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I recall very similar things being said back in the very late 2000s during both the Global Financial Crisis and the Swine Flu pandemic, and all the constant talk of Armageddon by both the media and the general public at large. But we dealt with those 'extraordinary' times back then, adapted and eventually came out the other side.

I think MH amongst many was already increasingly up the creek well before all this CV malarkey kicked off at the start of the year, in many cases even going back donkeys years, with many of such issues sadly unresolved for far too long!!
    Things like that were said but nothing had really changed. Life was as normal.

It's a bit different this time and changes will need to remain in place until we get a vaccine. But after then you can bet it will all return to before for most.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Things like that were said but nothing had really changed. Life was as normal.
    This is very true. The current situation is nothing like anything else that people have faced in this country for decades, perhaps even since the war (although I'm not even remotely comparing the two).

Exit plan for Ireland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52509390

Looks like big gatherings from August so maybe some light for UK?

Re: Exit plan for Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52509390

Looks like big gatherings from August so maybe some light for UK?
    Ireland needs to get it's new cases down to single figures before it lifts any restrictions...221 new cases and 34 deaths yesterday means that everyone should still be isolating until they get the virus under control. Once contained the 5 phase system would be a very sensible approach. Even when Covid19 is contained it still has a very long tail (as we are seeing in NZ)

I can't think of how Ireland's situation can shed light on UK, their situation is even more dire with large populated areas and rampant community spread.
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 02-05-20 at 05:52.

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information