Page 179 of 179 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 1790

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

I am also getting fed up of the hyperbole used by the Covidiots, that somehow these day-to-day restrictions are "tyranny".

Tyranny is being woken up in the middle of the night, dragged from your apartment, having your windows smashed and your business burnt to the ground before you're shepherded off into a train of cattle vans.

It is NOT being asked to wear a bit of paper over your face in a shop for twenty or fewer minutes, nor is it an infringement of what some see as their divine right to get hammered in a pub on a nightly basis.

Just to add to the teaching question of whether teachers are better or worse than they used to be, I can only judge on the basis of my experiences as a pupil. I was at secondary school between 1976 and 81. Our headmaster was tough but fair, if you hadn't broken any rules you were fine. Though question his authority and you would know about it. One lunchtime I had gone into town with friends and bought chips with my dinner money. I should have been in the school hall buying my dinner and I was caught by a teacher on playground duty and told to report to the headmaster's office.

I was petrified as I knocked on his door and this booming voice said 'come in'. He asked why I was in his office so I told him. He bellowed 'do you want me to phone your mother boy?' Probably the worst thing he could have suggested so I promised not to go into town again and he let me off with a warning. But this same man would be dressing up as Santa Claus at Christmas.

The deputy head was a different matter. Looking back now I'm sure he must have been sociopathic. He would rage at boys until they burst into tears, always walking along the corridors swinging his cane. My maths teacher was cruel, delighting in humiliating boys in front of the class, which would occasionally be me as maths wasn't my best subject. Then when he'd got halfway through a calculation on the blackboard he'd ask me to finish it.

But my English teacher was brilliant, always encouraging me and he was instrumental in getting me promoted to the top set. I can honestly say though that I hated school, no cosy memories there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Oh dear I do seem to have ruffled a few feathers.....

I am a level headed and rational person, which is precisely why I couldn't stomach what I experienced in my brief time as a teacher. Lets just say that by the time I had traipsed through the ideology, theory, social engineering and general PC nonsense that has invaded the profession and the syllabii over the last 20 years, I found that there was little space left for actual teaching. Of course there are good teachers and bad teachers and not wishing to generalise one way or the other, most knuckle down under the current system that the state has imposed on the profession ... but I was not one of them. Just my opinion and based on personal experience and not 'stupidity'.
    It sounds like the English educational system does need an over-haul. The horrors expressed a few pages back made me shudder. But I doubt it's just as simple as going back to "more discipline" and avoiding "pc nonsense."

I read they will vaccinate the NHS staff before Xmas. Hope for a better 2021 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I read they will vaccinate the NHS staff before Xmas. Hope for a better 2021 maybe?
    Yes, I'm also hoping they have an effective vaccine soon. I think that is what we all have to hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    It sounds like the English educational system does need an over-haul. The horrors expressed a few pages back made me shudder. But I doubt it's just as simple as going back to "more discipline" and avoiding "pc nonsense."
    Unfortunately the current administration started meddling with the education system back in 2010 and removed stuff like teaching "critical thinking" from the curriculum. There are those who'd like an "education" to be nothing more than knowing the times table and naming the kings and queens of England in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Unfortunately the current administration started meddling with the education system back in 2010 and removed stuff like teaching "critical thinking" from the curriculum. There are those who'd like an "education" to be nothing more than knowing the times table and naming the kings and queens of England in order.
    Wow, seriously? That's a complete opposite shift from my state. We are trying to incorporate more critical thinking. However, it's often a challenge when many of our students start school so behind or have no support at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I am also getting fed up of the hyperbole used by the Covidiots, that somehow these day-to-day restrictions are "tyranny".

Tyranny is being woken up in the middle of the night, dragged from your apartment, having your windows smashed and your business burnt to the ground before you're shepherded off into a train of cattle vans.

It is NOT being asked to wear a bit of paper over your face in a shop for twenty or fewer minutes, nor is it an infringement of what some see as their divine right to get hammered in a pub on a nightly basis.
    Exactly this. It’s exhausting listening to and watching these idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Wow, seriously? That's a complete opposite shift from my state. We are trying to incorporate more critical thinking. However, it's often a challenge when many of our students start school so behind or have no support at home.
    Interesting article from a well known teaching institution on this:

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsoci...inking-skills/

There has also been criticism in the past that higher education doesn't award points for it so secondary education put less into it.

I would agree with that article. It's important to give people a foundation but they will miss tons without knowledge of what they are applying it too. There has always been a big jump from leaving uni with a degree in x to performing the job. Some professions translate well between degree and practice e.g. law but many don't. Management is one I think is a good example. Teaching people to manage staff means them doing it because people and situations are too diverse for the books to handle. Then there is managing workstreams which is more complex. Managers that understand how the work is performed, how it goes wrong, where improvements can be made etc outstrip a typical 'staff manager' type who thinks moving from one industry to another means they have transferable skills to do it. They don't. They take a step back.

In my own experience I saw much of this and spent a lot of time supporting managers as a SME. I had been in their role but worked my say up for a few years from the bottom. But put me in a new area and only so much of my skill will transfer.

Further evidence of this is in business analysis. They struggle without SMEs. They can only bring previous training & experience.

Business complain they want key skills in education yet have spent so many years in the belief you need a minimum of a degree to even get an interview. So they don't want vocational training then if any old degree is enough. Critical thinking at uni was one of the points made for this. My best mate a classics degree. He said it was worthless but a subject he enjoyed. It didn't prepare him and he labelled it a piece of paper to get a foot in the door. But when it came to business management graduate courses at companies it was an irrelevant degree as standard were tighter. My GF has one in archaeology. She loved working on digs. But there is no money in it.

I think people learn anyway. They just take longer to get there than if they had a grounding in it. But there is a lot said about voting that people are thicker these days and critical thinking is sometimes raised. I think it is also assumed we are the 'enlightened ones' and previous generations were thicker. But doesn't this argument take place in every generation with nuances?

As Mr Punch used to say "that's the way to do it"

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/bri...going-22878601

Page 179 of 179 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179

Thread Information