Page 285 of 717 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by wobblehead View Post

In Britain and US can you buy fashion masks?

In Quebec you can buy masks with pretty designs and names of sports teams. I think also British soccer teams like Manchester and Liverpool

At firsts I thought how silly but actually I think it is a good idea if it makes people to want to wear one.
    You can, yes. I’ve actually bought quite a bit of fun fabric and sewn masks - what feels like hundreds of masks lol - and donated them to friends and family, and local organizations that were having problems getting masks during the start of all this. Now the masks are easier to find so I haven’t had to sew anymore. And I have to say, I’m enjoying sewing for fun again rather than for necessity!!

I read an alarming story about someone with a sniffle like blocked nose died 38 with covid I mean doesn’t cheer me up I did read under 40 is a 1% risk according to BBC. Sadly there is no way to tell how mild it may be. But yeah these stories make you think everybody under 40 is dying of it to be honest that’s what I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I read an alarming story about someone with a sniffle like blocked nose died 38 with covid I mean doesn’t cheer me up I did read under 40 is a 1% risk according to BBC. Sadly there is no way to tell how mild it may be. But yeah these stories make you think everybody under 40 is dying of it to be honest that’s what I fear.
    Well that’s simply not true. Does it happen? Yes, unfortunately it does. It’s rare though, and, not to sound ageist in any way, the vast majority of mortality is in those over 65.

However, certain conditions like diabetes, heart disease and most lung conditions can raise that risk dramatically if you’re any age. It’s also likely that people in this category will have lower immune responses to vaccines. This is why it’s imperative to get as many people vaccinated as possible, and it’s also why you’re on to plums if you think companies involved in taking people into crowded tubes and firing them 37,000 feet in the air are going to somehow cave to your demands, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Well that’s simply not true. Does it happen? Yes, unfortunately it does. It’s rare though, and, not to sound ageist in any way, the vast majority of mortality is in those over 65.

However, certain conditions like diabetes, heart disease and most lung conditions can raise that risk dramatically if you’re any age. It’s also likely that people in this category will have lower immune responses to vaccines. This is why it’s imperative to get as many people vaccinated as possible, and it’s also why you’re on to plums if you think companies involved in taking people into crowded tubes and firing them 37,000 feet in the air are going to somehow cave to your demands, frankly.
    It does seem to me that the media are now clutching at straws, as there are various conflicting stories in the news about vaccine efficacy and 'researchers' now suggesting that cases in England may still have continued to increase this month despite the lockdown and previous evidence to the contrary, since at least the 9th of Jan.

My dad reckons it's partly because Trump having now gone and the media are probably looking for stuff to fill the gaps in their repertoire of headline material, plus it's also perfect fodder for the anti-lockdowners and antivaxxers who are itching to gleefully trumpet 'I told you so' with regards to their 'vaccines and/or lockdowns not working' agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post

Thanks I know I should stay off the news but I feel I need to stay informed but sadly these stories can be a trigger for my anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    It does seem to me that the media are now clutching at straws, as there are various conflicting stories in the news about vaccine efficacy and 'researchers' now suggesting that cases in England may still have continued to increase this month despite the lockdown and previous evidence to the contrary, since at least the 9th of Jan.

My dad reckons it's partly because Trump having now gone and the media are probably looking for stuff to fill the gaps in their repertoire of headline material, plus it's also perfect fodder for the anti-lockdowners and antivaxxers who are itching to gleefully trumpet 'I told you so' with regards to their 'vaccines and/or lockdowns not working' agendas.
    I had a more in-depth look at the article on the BBC website today about the REACT study which seems to be causing a fair amount of confusion right now, and it partly says what has actually happened.

It stated that the period covered was the 6th to the 15th of January, which is only 9 days, so doesn't really tell us that much.

Cases did continue to increase during the most part of the first week of this current lockdown, (so far) peaking on Friday 8th Jan (68k cases), and we have since had the odd upward day-to-day fluctuations, though still waaay below the existing high of 68k recorded on Friday 8th Jan.

Cases are still down today on both yesterday (Wednesday 20th Jan) and last Thursday (14th Jan), so IMO that REACT study thing seems like a bit of a non-story.

I read lockdown will last until summer that’s what Boris says today. Reason so it’s the last lockdown seemingly..

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I read lockdown will last until summer that’s what Boris says today. Reason so it’s the last lockdown seemingly..
    Not strictly true, Phil.

According to the BBC website, he actually said something like he can't promise anything about spring relaxations of restrictions at this stage, not that the current lockdown will definitely continue into the summer.

It's something that's still unfortunately in the lap of the gods right now, but let's just wait and see, and take it as it comes, rather than simply jump to conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Not strictly true, Phil.

According to the BBC website, he actually said something like he can't promise anything about spring relaxations of restrictions at this stage, not that the current lockdown will definitely continue into the summer.

It's something that's still unfortunately in the lap of the gods right now, but let's just wait and see, and take it as it comes, rather than simply jump to conclusions.
    Daily Mail. The newspapers said summer aswell. May aswell prepare ourselves I fear unlike last year this lockdown May last longer.

Seen this on Twitter

“Just left zoom meeting with Israeli Health Minister.

Very interested to hear that Israel is not vaccinating people who have had Covid.

He said there’s no point as they have immunity. Makes sense - saves time and cost of wasted vaccines.

Why aren’t we doing the same here?”

Page 285 of 717 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385 ... LastLast

Thread Information