Page 195 of 717 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245295695 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Well there was a thread on Digital Spy last week about all brand new motor vehicles having to be electric by 2030 and there were a few know-it-alls on there with similar doubts about all of that and piping up with stuff like 'what about the logistics of it all', 'EVs simply aren't reliable enough', 'There simply isn't the infrastructure available for recharging the vehicles', 'The govt are taking right liberties', etc.

For heaven's sake, that's not for another 10 years at least, so plenty of time to come up with the goods in order to make it feasible.

If the deadline had been in say, 2022, I think that might have been overdoing it a bit in such a short space of time.

I do reckon that a lot of people just don't like change, period.

Having said that, we've all switched from old-fashioned CRT analogue TV sets to the newer digitalised flat-screen sets over the past 15 years or so without batting an eyelid!!
    DS can be interesting as some know their stuff but it's also politically tribal and known for bullying behaviour.

I have some sympathy about their concerns because I've worked in many regulatory projects and some are just a mess. In my old industry I could cite smart metering as a poorly designed national project. They let the industry go away and come up with solutions. The result was everybody non compliant with everybody else's technology and that's why the whole project slipped many years.

I think EV is a much bigger and more important programme. No one gives a toss about utility tech but cars are front page stuff. Im sure there are many hurdles and simply the power is one to overcome. But how many years ago were we all saying it's ok for Londoners who get everything first (we still haven't seen broadband upgrades) but what about real life and not the bit around Westminster? But many of us can now see charging points on petrol stations and even supermarket parking spaces.

The challenge is scaling up but things have moved on.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 02-12-20 at 14:12. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Hurrah!! At long last!!

And I bet the legendary Timmy Mallett's first words at hearing the news of the first vaccine being given the go-ahead from next week here in Blighty first thing this morning were 'Utterly, utterly, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant'!!
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 02-12-20 at 19:20.

Black Friday seems to have been replaced with Covid Saturday, at least at Harrods:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...id-19-23122667

Is there a new Kevin The Carrot toy out?

On the press conference today they said even with vaccines they will have to accept a small number of deaths like the 7,000 flu deaths per year. So they will bring it down to a level we can accept that they said

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Having said that, we've all switched from old-fashioned CRT analogue TV sets to the newer digitalised flat-screen sets over the past 15 years or so without batting an eyelid!!
    Not here, Lencoboy. Still using a 4:3 CRT with a set-top box. It works and works well, thus I see no reason to change it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.l...ecember-wales/

Wales going into lockdown again 28th December

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.l...ecember-wales/

Wales going into lockdown again 28th December
    The whole of the UK will be in some sort of lockdown in January.

And Maradona will still be one of the few with heart attack on his death certificate! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post

And Maradona will still be one of the few with heart attack on his death certificate! Lol
    Not sure Scotland will I think she will just go level 4 for certain areas again rather than full lockdown. Some price to pay for one day at Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Not sure Scotland will I think she will just go level 4 for certain areas again rather than full lockdown. Some price to pay for one day at Xmas.
    To be honest Phil I'm not sure how many would've not spent Christmas with family anyway, certainly not in my neck of the woods, everyone is invincible here

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post

Probably, 'cause folks are no doubt getting complacent once again.

Shame on them, they never seem to learn!!

Page 195 of 717 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245295695 ... LastLast

Thread Information