Page 183 of 717 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283683 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Earlier on I came across something called a "Covid Age" calculator, which once you add in your age and any co-morbidities calculates your risk of dying if you get the virus.

Didn't look good for me - my "Covid Age" was 85+...

Just why torment yourself with all this scaremongering, PM? You don't just "come across" these things..you seek them out. Why do you need to do this to yourself?

I have a biological age of 209. That's me screwed.

Covid has met its match in you, Nora!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Just why torment yourself with all this scaremongering, PM? You don't just "come across" these things..you seek them out. Why do you need to do this to yourself?
    It's what happens when you have a (too) curious mind and follow embedded links - plus I really want to know what my chances are of surviving this disease. It's bad enough that at the moment I have - yet again - a "full" sensation in my right ear, I think a lymph node under my jaw has flared up in sympathy and I have a stiff neck and shoulder on the right side. So I put that little lot together and end up with lymphoma - despite the fact that this "full ear" thing is a regular occurrence with me.

It's what happens when you have a (too) curious mind and follow embedded links - plus I really want to know what my chances are of surviving this disease. It's bad enough that at the moment I have - yet again - a "full" sensation in my right ear, I think a lymph node under my jaw has flared up in sympathy and I have a stiff neck and shoulder on the right side. So I put that little lot together and end up with lymphoma - despite the fact that this "full ear" thing is a regular occurrence with me.
    The randomness of this virus is one of the confusing things about it, though. My partners grandmother is 89 and tested positive earlier this month, she had very mild symptoms and has made a full recovery. I’m in my early 30’s, no underlying conditions and I feel as if the virus hit me harder than it hit her. I’m over the worst of it but I’m still struggling to stay on my feet for more than ten minutes without needing to lay down.

Stay aware by all means PM, stay safe but you can’t allow the threat of this virus to overtake your life to the point you’re scared stiff. There’s enough doom and gloom around right now without seeking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Stay aware by all means PM, stay safe but you can’t allow the threat of this virus to overtake your life to the point you’re scared stiff. There’s enough doom and gloom around right now without seeking it out.
    It's too late for that, Gary. It's won and little can be done to convince me otherwise. Mercifully, I'm not as bad as the young lad I was trying to help elsewhere but every time I leave the house, or go to work, it's "is this the day I catch it and my end approaches?"

Not quite "Here in my car/I feel safest of all/I can lock all the doors/It's the only way to live/In cars" here, but not far off.

It's too late for that, Gary. It's won and little can be done to convince me otherwise. Mercifully, I'm not as bad as the young lad I was trying to help elsewhere but every time I leave the house, or go to work, it's "is this the day I catch it and my end approaches?"

Not quite "Here in my car/I feel safest of all/I can lock all the doors/It's the only way to live/In cars" here, but not far off.
    Are you aware that recent estimates put the mortality rate of this virus at 0.5%? Now, I’m aware that existing anxiety issues will prompt you to think “what if I’m in that 0.5%”, but it’s really worth trying to remember that.

I personally caught it in a situation that was completely unavoidable, and I had basically accepted that it was only a matter of time before it got me, but, not to sound like some kind of hero, I just got on with life as best I could.

You are far more likely to die from driving a car or crossing a busy road. You can greatly reduce your risk of catching covid, and even if you do catch it the odds are still very much in your favour that you’ll experience a mild illness. Age, co-morbidities, these things increase your risk, we all know that, but increased risk doesn’t instantly translate into “OMFG if I get this virus I’m a fu*king goner.”

As tough as it is, and as much as I do have sympathy for what’s going in your head, you simply must try to combat these thoughts as best you can. It is never ever too late to improve your mental health.

Learned today that I may have been exposed again to the virus.

I'm not sure I can cope with this any more.

Is it better to die on a ventilator or take control of my own destiny in this case?

What does "may have been exposed" mean?

Someone has tested positive at work. Whilst I am unsure if I have been near them, the colleague I work with has on a number of occasions.

Page 183 of 717 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283683 ... LastLast

Thread Information