Page 300 of 717 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310350400 ... LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Squishchips View Post
    Just as an aside (not sure if this will be helpful for you or not!) - My husband has Rheumatoid Arthritis and is on immune suppressants. He tested positive and had no symptoms at all so although she is higher risk thought that might be good for you to know. It sounds like you're doing everything right to protect her as much as you can though.

A friend of mine also has lupus and she got covid (we think) back in feb last year after a trip to the states with other international travellers. She had a tough time for a month but no hospital and is now fine.

Also Phil - the vaccine doesn't just protect you, it protects others around you as it can limit the spread hopefully. It's not something you need to worry about at the moment however, it'll be at least 2/3 months before you get asked if you would like it so I'd just stop thinking about it and see what happens with everyone else first - this is an ongoing frequently changing situation.
    Glad to hear they are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Surprisingly they don't appear to be saying much about this right now on the BBC website, anything believed to be terror-related would usually be hogging their rolling 'live' feed.

And especially at a plant producing anti-Covid vaccines.

They seem to have piped down over the Netherlands riots today though.
    They have to be careful not to start panic. The BBC are always more cautious in verifying hence why people like Sky frequently beat them.

It may just be some lone loon hence harder to investigate. Organisations are usually happy to announce their involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishchips View Post
    Hi Pulisa, thank you for asking. I'm not sure how much I should put on here - im really conscious of triggering anyone :(

She's on a ventilator and has been for a while - we're just taking each day as it comes and hoping. She's 70 and has very bad asthma so this just affected her really badly - the rest of the family have all been fine (my father in law who is also in his 70s, previously had a stroke etc, did have to go to hospital for a few days but was fine and is now healing really well).

She has been incredibly careful, barely leaving the house so the only way I can think of exposure is from someone else who probably wasn't wearing a mask (which is why I get so mad at people not wearing masks - it literally saves lives)

We're getting updates daily and she's fighting hard - so we're crossing fingers and praying she makes it through.

I'm really sorry if this did trigger anyone so please let me know if I should edit - im so conscious of saying too much on this forum as it helped me through my covid exposure so so much.

xx
    As pulisa says, don't worry about triggering people. The speculation in threads like this are already littered with, often pointless, triggers which are nothing in comparison to what your family are going through. So right now you need more support and if anyone is triggered they've got help here too. This forum doesn't mean we only discuss what's in our heads, it's about real-life stuff too.

It's great you are getting daily updates. I'm glad to hear your mum is battling through it. It is additionally hard when you have their other, closely affected, chronic conditions to consider. My mum has had asthma for decades and it has moved onto mild COPD. So when she gets anything we are on alert and anything breathing related we really are watching her like hawks.

I bet she can't wait to get out of their and back home to relax. It must be so hard being unable to physically be there as much as possible.

Maybe your family situation puts things into perspective for others on here who are dealing with fears and not grim reality, Squishchips? I hope you will feel free to post about anything which is worrying you because you must have such a lot to deal with, let alone your own physical symptoms of anxiety xx

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    They have to be careful not to start panic. The BBC are always more cautious in verifying hence why people like Sky frequently beat them.

It may just be some lone loon hence harder to investigate. Organisations are usually happy to announce their involvement.
    That did cross my mind, Terry.

Aunty Beeb keeping stuff like that as low-key as possible until further notice is what I call reasonable and responsible journalism. Plus as well as causing potential panic, them firing all the bullets in one go (no pun intended) can also provoke 'copycat' behaviours, especially in this age of virtue-signalling, and not forgetting bandwagon-jumping!

As an aside, looking back at 'old' news pages from the BBC website (2000s era), they seemed to be a lot more sensationalist back then than they appear to be now. They seemed to change tack and tone things down a fair bit following the radical changes and reorganisation of the design and layout of their website around late 2010 (IIRC).
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 28-01-21 at 10:31.

Why have I woken up today with an unshakable feeling that this virus will never be beaten and we'll be living like this forever? That vaccination is only a temporary respite and that in Man's abuse of Nature, Nature has finally bit back hard and is one step closer to wiping out a particularly troublesome organism - Man?

I just cannot see an end to this, I really can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Why have I woken up today with an unshakable feeling that this virus will never be beaten and we'll be living like this forever? That vaccination is only a temporary respite and that in Man's abuse of Nature, Nature has finally bit back hard and is one step closer to wiping out a particularly troublesome organism - Man?

I just cannot see an end to this, I really can't.
    Depends what you mean by “end”, really. It’s unlikely to just vanish or be completely eradicated, it’s too well established worldwide for that.

It’s most likely, however, to become an endemic virus that is controllable. Vaccines will give protection to the best degree they can. Right now, available vaccines are showing better efficacy than flu vaccines yet we live with it. We’ll probably be living with this virus just the same, although hopefully it’ll be far less lethal than annual flu due to better vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Depends what you mean by “end”, really. It’s unlikely to just vanish or be completely eradicated, it’s too well established worldwide for that.
    By 'end', I mean this cycle of lockdown/tier/closures/restrictions/infections/deaths/"social distancing". I'm also wondering if we'll need to be vaccinated more than once a year. At least I don't have a needle phobia.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Maybe your family situation puts things into perspective for others on here who are dealing with fears and not grim reality, Squishchips? I hope you will feel free to post about anything which is worrying you because you must have such a lot to deal with, let alone your own physical symptoms of anxiety xx
    Thank you so much

The last few days it's hit me quite hard - my anxiety feels like its out of control today - trying to do all the things I usually do to keep it at bay but none of it is working. Then of course get anxious about the panic.

Our update today is that she's stable but no plans to wake her up yet. You dont realise how long this goes on for when you see it in the news - it's been 4 weeks since it all started - no wonder im anxious! xx

______

Terry - thank you very much, I appreciate that, it's my mother in law thats unwell and sadly not awake at the moment, the hospital have said if she makes it, she'll be in there weeks and weeks.

Sounds like your doing what you can to keep your mum safe - it's so difficult isn't it but important to say not everyone with asthma/copd is guaranteed to have a bad ride, it very much seems to be the unlucky few.

Let's hope the lockdowns and increased pressure on people to wear masks, border controls etc keeps the amount of cases down.

I've tried not to look at the numbers too much but it does sound like they're going down slowly so fingers crossed

Well it looks like the seven-day average for Covid deaths in the UK is now starting to turn a corner at long last, with today showing the first SDA decline so far this year.

Ditto for Covid-related hospital admissions.

Today's number of Covid tests conducted is at an all-time high (771, 710) which could be the most likely reason for the (superficial) increase in daily cases over the past 2 days, albeit cases still down compared to the same days last week, plus the SDA down 83,303 (-29.4 per cent) for total cases, compared to last week.

Over 7.5 milion in the UK have now been vaccinated too.

So things are generally looking more promising overall.

Page 300 of 717 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310350400 ... LastLast

Thread Information