Page 266 of 717 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316366 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    You're as bad as me for looking at the numbers.

Your dad's right - the seven-day average is better as it smooths out the variations and makes trend-spotting much easier. Plus you only need look at it once a week.If you look at the graphs at https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases you can see that in all cases, there is now a clear downward trend. The deaths are not so good, but we must remember that there's a lag between infections and deaths. Give that a few weeks and that should - hopefully - show the same downward trend.
    ^ this, LB. Stats not conforming to your expectations shouldn't be upsetting you. You're not the one analysing them.

Anyone working in MI knows how metrics do this a lot. That's why they have things like standard deviations and smoothing factors. If it's not out of tolerance, no one cares. You get blips and they get investigated but outside of a well made process you get factors that cause anomalies.

Let them explain the why's. Don't allow it to get under your skin because it's not unusual to see.

Listen to your dad, he gave you excellent advice.

Your dad is trying to help you manage your anxiety, as Ierry says. You don't need to monitor daily fluctuations or worry about puzzling anomalies. You won't have any better control of your anxiety or of the national situation. Concentrate on your own mental and physical wellbeing and let the "experts" come up with the goods? Limit your intentional exposure to data which frightens you but which you feel you have to keep tabs on..You don't

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Your dad is trying to help you manage your anxiety, as Ierry says. You don't need to monitor daily fluctuations or worry about puzzling anomalies. You won't have any better control of your anxiety or of the national situation. Concentrate on your own mental and physical wellbeing and let the "experts" come up with the goods? Limit your intentional exposure to data which frightens you but which you feel you have to keep tabs on..You don't
    I really appreciate what you're saying, and do fully acknowledge that the underlying trend for cases is generally down, give or take the odd upward blip every now and then.

I was also miffed about the inverse situation on Thursday 7th Jan when there was a sudden massive drop in cases on that day where I was thinking 'surely this cannot be right', then the following day (Friday 8th Jan) cases soared to their highest recorded level so far to date.

But surely the effects of this lockdown are now starting to kick in, which is obviously the main driver of the current downward trend in cases, plus more than 3 million have now been vaccinated, albeit mostly 80+ age groups, and more to come in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster70 View Post
    Fish I know what you mean about keeping walking when you’re out with the dog I feel the same many times , my daughters have left and you know my younger one isn’t well but you have to let them go you can’t look after everyone , I’d guess part of you is like I was thinking , now you’ll be alone coping with your wife and life in general, it can get lonely but you do need to let her go and do her own thing .
    I like to give you wise words but I’ve taken up my old interest in the drinking arts , nearly ten years without getting p**sed and now I’ve found I can drink again , talk later matey when my brain semi works unless you want to meet up and drink strong cider on a park bench , drunks are covid exempt
    Yes thanks Buster and its good to see you posting here mate, the more the merrier and we don't have to social distance either. I only ever use booze rarely these days, very rarely in fact as I developed an unhealthy relationship with it many years ago.

The temperature drops every time daughter comes downstairs, the first time ever that I've felt that with her.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Well....do you want to refer to anything that is triggering? Does knowing how many cases are in your local area affect the way you lead your life/lessen your fear of catching covid?
    Knowing does affect the way I lead my life. The app is a double edged sword, so I really should delete it. And yet...

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Has anybody got any positive news?
    There's a poodle in Tottenham that can tap dance.

Quote Originally Posted by wobblehead View Post
    Hi Mr. Fishman

I am content you are not mad with me for asking silly questions. My teachers at school I am sure hated me because I always asked questions they could not answer.

I thinnk I know why your daughter repeatedly leaves and returns to your house. Quarantine my butt. It's for a change of clothes and underwear. I bet she does her laundry also. You should pretend that the washing machine is broke.

People here are being mean about BiebsD

I think Canadians do not have very much to be proud about because of the big monster on our doorstep. But Biebs was a source of national pride. I was a big fan of his at elementary school, not because of his looks but because his early music was quite good. Now he became a source of national embarrassment. We are fortunate to have Celine Dion
    She hasn't actually left home yet wobblehead, she went off in her car and came back despite the fact she shouldn't have. But apparently I go on about the virus too much so can't pull her up on it. She has put the occasional load of her own washing into the machine but rarely. Ditto housework.

You don't need Justin Beiber wobblehead. You have much to be proud of as a Canadian, surviving your winters for a start. You are a relatively small population too and punch above your weight. Musically you have Rush, Avril Lavigne, Shania Twain, Bryan Adams and are brilliant ice hockey players.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Has anybody got any positive news? I have been feeling low past few days due to longer lockdowns/rules/forced vaccines and can see no end to this. I mailed a friend and she’s feeling very low too. Any positive advice would be grateful
    Surely it was you that posted on Digital Spy today (under a different username to here, of course) that Scotland's cases today are the lowest since 28th December.

I don't post on there as I'm not a forum member of theirs (nor do I ever intend to be), but often just view said forum as some of the topics discussed their I often find quite amusing, but there can sometimes be a fair amount of venom and bitching going on, as on most forums.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    There's a poodle in Tottenham that can tap dance.
    Does it wear special shoes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Surely it was you that posted on Digital Spy today (under a different username to here, of course) that Scotland's cases today are the lowest since 28th December.

I don't post on there as I'm not a forum member of theirs (nor do I ever intend to be), but often just view said forum as some of the topics discussed their I often find quite amusing, but there can sometimes be a fair amount of venom and bitching going on, as on most forums.
    Whilst on the subject of Digital Spy, there's a hilarious thread currently on there debating the pronunciation of the letter H, as to whether it should be pronounced 'aitch' or 'haitch', with a fair amount of bitching going on, especially the more hoity-toity types getting indignant about the 'haitch' variation!

Reminds me of one of the teachers at the residential school I attended back in 1986-88 going absolutely ape at this one pupil over him uttering the word 'quid' in the playground the one day and she yelled 'Pounds, Adam! Pounds'! 'What family do you think you come from'?

Very trivial (and personal) IMO!

Page 266 of 717 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316366 ... LastLast

Thread Information