Page 119 of 717 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219619 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

So, if you test positive but die over 28 days after that test, you're not counted.

What happens if you test positive, deteriorate, end up on a ventilator for six weeks and then die? Is that counted?

It all just smells of massaging the figures (yet again) - but this time the devolved nations under-counting rather than England over-counting.
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 13-08-20 at 10:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    So, if you test positive but die over 28 days after that test, you're not counted.

What happens if you test positive, deteriorate, end up on a ventilator for six weeks and then die? Is that counted?

It all just smells of massaging the figures (yet again) - but this time the devolved nations under-counting rather than England over-counting.
    I’m sure that would only be true for deaths in the general community, but who knows?

I’ve always thought the death figures were inaccurate due to there being no real way of differentiating between who died WITH the virus and not OF the virus.

This looks like an attempt to address that but I’ve no doubt this method will create as many questions as it does answer some.

I think there was also talk of another counting method that might also be in place in case of any potential overlaps, which I think is a 60-day time limit.

On the other hand, with this new counting system in place for CV deaths in England, it could perhaps serve as a possible aid for approximating nationwide CV recoveries, which the previous arrangement probably restricted, hence the cancellation of the UK's recovery stats much earlier on in the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    I’m sure that would only be true for deaths in the general community, but who knows?

I’ve always thought the death figures were inaccurate due to there being no real way of differentiating between who died WITH the virus and not OF the virus.

This looks like an attempt to address that but I’ve no doubt this method will create as many questions as it does answer some.
    So this is tricky. When my great uncle died, he was very old and had heart failure, but he also contracted Covid. Ultimately, he died of heart failure, BUT the Covid added stress to his heart to help make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post

By contrast, the devolved nations have reportedly been more on the case in their management of the pandemic than England, and barely anyone seemed to get their knickers in a twist over their 28-day counting arrangements, and accusing their respective govts of playing down their CV death stats, but that could (ironically) have been the reason why the authorities in England previously opted to 'play it safe' by not imposing any time limits between officially testing positive and death, probably in order to avoid the 'massaging' accusations, especially from the 'know-it-alls' within our society!!

There are technical issues again today with the coronavirus.gov website, which states they are currently unable to give us today's case and death counts, which I presume might be partly down to yesterday's major re-organisation of England's death count.

It has also been speculated that the daily case count could also be problematic as previously unrecorded cases from several days, weeks or even months ago are sometimes added to the daily case count, even if the affected persons have since fully recovered, which could be one explanation for the daily case counts sometimes exceeding 1k again of late, similar to the (previously) artificially inflated death counts, which were finally addressed yesterday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    There are technical issues again today with the coronavirus.gov website, which states they are currently unable to give us today's case and death counts, which I presume might be partly down to yesterday's major re-organisation of England's death count.

It has also been speculated that the daily case count could also be problematic as previously unrecorded cases from several days, weeks or even months ago are sometimes added to the daily case count, even if the affected persons have since fully recovered, which could be one explanation for the daily case counts sometimes exceeding 1k again of late, similar to the (previously) artificially inflated death counts, which were finally addressed yesterday evening.
    My mistake, it's actually daily cases and tests that said website is currently unable to publish due to delays in receiving the figures.

Today's UK-wide deaths are 18 (as per the new counting system in England).

I'm baffled but at the same time reassured about the lack of deaths in Scotland over the past month or so, despite the spikes in cases there over roughly the same period, and still no confirmed CV deaths there again today!!

Not quite sure about NI though, as the BBC News website appear to have dropped their rolling live page once again today, with the headlines mostly covering the controversy concerning A levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    My mistake, it's actually daily cases and tests that said website is currently unable to publish due to delays in receiving the figures.

Today's UK-wide deaths are 18 (as per the new counting system in England).

I'm baffled but at the same time reassured about the lack of deaths in Scotland over the past month or so, despite the spikes in cases there over roughly the same period, and still no confirmed CV deaths there again today!!

Not quite sure about NI though, as the BBC News website appear to have dropped their rolling live page once again today, with the headlines mostly covering the controversy concerning A levels.
    It's pushed deaths down by 12% overnight.

The trend isn't looking great though is it?

_113914700_optimised-uk_daily_cases_with_ra_12aug-nc.jpg

Looking at the number of cases in my city is has jumped by >30 cases. We were under the average of 5 per 100k but this week we have jumped to 17. Subsequent weeks will rule out an upward trend which we can only hope doesn't happen. Interestingly we take up nearly all (difference of 2-3) new cases for the entire county.

Conclusion: It's nonsense

Edit: local numbers will be because of the idiots at the pub in Stone. But the county numbers are very low on top of this city.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 14-08-20 at 04:46.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It's pushed deaths down by 12% overnight.

The trend isn't looking great though is it?

_113914700_optimised-uk_daily_cases_with_ra_12aug-nc.jpg

Looking at the number of cases in my city is has jumped by >30 cases. We were under the average of 5 per 100k but this week we have jumped to 17. Subsequent weeks will rule out an upward trend which we can only hope doesn't happen. Interestingly we take up nearly all (difference of 2-3) new cases for the entire county.

Conclusion: It's nonsense

Edit: local numbers will be because of the idiots at the pub in Stone. But the county numbers are very low on top of this city.
    I suppose there is a fair amount of confusion over the fact that while the stats in your home city (SOT), with it being a unitary authority, are counted separately from the rest of Staffs, all other settlements within the county and their respective CV stats are generally lumped together, rather than specific boroughs/districts being counted in their own right.

Generally, the overall case count for the county as a whole (not counting SOT, obviously) is still in the lower region compared to many others, give or take the odd fluctuations in certain individual settlements.

An interesting article from The Guardian on the fall in death rates;

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...uestion-is-why

Meanwhile, new cases at 1441. The government target was to keep it under 1000, so another target failed. Bit like the A-level results.

Page 119 of 717 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219619 ... LastLast

Thread Information