Page 177 of 717 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277677 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Strangely I will be glad to see the clocks go back an hour next weekend, especially as my sleep pattern is currently out of whack, though it might not necessarily be related to all this Covid stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Are you seriously implying that you're proud of the fact you got thrashed as a kid, or are you only saying that in jest?
    I'm joking Lenco

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    I'm joking Lenco
    I kind of assumed that was the case, hence why I ended the post with the question 'are you only saying that in jest?', rather than jumping to quick conclusions.

No hard feelings though.

I kind of assumed that was the case, hence why I ended the post with the question 'are you only saying that in jest?', rather than jumping to quick conclusions.

No hard feelings though.
    None at all Lenco, surrounded by 24/7 doom none of us can afford to fall out. Look after yourself.

That really sucks, Nora!!

Sounds like your teacher was a stupid power-crazy barsteward with a bit of a screw loose herself.

Activities like sewing, and art and craft in general, should be pleasurable and therapeutic, and that brainless cretin who was supposed to have educated you must have put you off such activities for life, and I guess you probably have since been triggered whenever you have seen sewing-related equipment.

I honestly believe many of us on the spectrum had (and still have) more of a brain that many of those useless, not fit for purpose teachers themselves, but unfortunately we were, more often
    than not, the powerless 'seen and not heard' elephants in the room.

In fact, I wouldn't even regard them as 'real' teachers. 'Real' teachers for me are genuinely pleasant, caring and understanding people, not imbeciles like that loser you had the misfortune to be (non) educated by!

Sorry for yet another epic (and off-topic) rant.

Well just remember the old adage about teachers .... those that can do, do and those that can't do, teach;..... never a truer word said when looking at today's generation of teachers. All very well that they try to be informal and 'friends' with their pupils, but ultimately the kids don't respect them. Teachers in my youth kept an authoritative distance, weren't afraid to dish out discipline, and they got results.

There are good and bad workers in every profession: doctors, lawyers, mechanics, fast-food workers, crossing guards, etc. As a teacher today, I find your comments very insulting, Dorabella. I'm sure there are some teachers today who do try to make friends inappropriately with their pupils, but we're not all like that. It's not right to group us all together. I take my job seriously, and I find that I get the best results with firm, but caring teaching. My students know they can't get away anything, but they know I care about them. They know I am strict and firm because I want them to get the best education they can and have the most options available to them later in life. They do what I ask in class not out of fear, but because I have built a relationship with them and they know I want them to succeed.

Frankly, in my opinion there are too many teacher-bashers out there from people who probably couldn't last a day in our profession. However, everyone has an opinion on teachers because everyone has been to school. The only profession I see getting more bashing than ours are politicians and lawyers.

Well the UK's overall R-rate has dropped slightly over the past week, according to the scrolling text on the BBC News channel last night when my dad was watching it, and yesterday's daily infections had also dropped slightly to just 20k odd, especially considering they were 26k on Wednesday!

I know in both cases (especially the former) it's only negligible in the grand scheme of things, but any downward trend in the numbers is more than welcome, however small or large.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    There are good and bad workers in every profession: doctors, lawyers, mechanics, fast-food workers, crossing guards, etc. As a teacher today, I find your comments very insulting, Dorabella. I'm sure there are some teachers today who do try to make friends inappropriately with their pupils, but we're not all like that. It's not right to group us all together. I take my job seriously, and I find that I get the best results with firm, but caring teaching. My students know they can't get away anything, but they know I care about them. They know I am strict and firm because I want them to get the best education they can and have the most options available to them later in life. They do what I ask in class not out of fear, but because I have built a relationship with them and they know I want them to succeed.

Frankly, in my opinion there are too many teacher-bashers out there from people who probably couldn't last a day in our profession. However, everyone has an opinion on teachers because everyone has been to school. The only profession I see getting more bashing than ours are politicians and lawyers.
    I very much agree with you AV.

Teachers on both sides of the Atlantic do get it in the neck far too often and the good ones more often than not fail to get the credit and recognition they deserve, whilst the not-so-good ones sadly seem to bring the profession into disrepute.

Same for a lot of the 'young people today'-bashing that goes on, in the real world there are probably far more good young people than bad, but sadly the bad ones, more often than not, seem to be given the bulk of media attention in general, and the cycle of stereotyping sadly continues.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Well just remember the old adage about teachers .... those that can do, do and those that can't do, teach;..... never a truer word said when looking at today's generation of teachers. All very well that they try to be informal and 'friends' with their pupils, but ultimately the kids don't respect them. Teachers in my youth kept an authoritative distance, weren't afraid to dish out discipline, and they got results.
    What about those teachers who used to have affairs with pupils (and vice versa) and secretly getting up to all kinds of dubious things behind closed doors, and cadging booze and fags off each other?

That most certainly amounted to being 'friends' and acting informally, and inappropriately, IMO.

No hard feelings though, Dorabella, as I'm sure you're a good person at heart, and you seem rather level-headed in most other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Yes, they created a lot of bitter individuals who couldn't progress past rote-learning. I think my nephew (deputy head of history at a top-flight school here) would be greatly insulted by your stupid remarks.

Page 177 of 717 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277677 ... LastLast

Thread Information