Page 111 of 717 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211611 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    If the govt wants to slow down the spread again, wonder why they don't consider putting a curfew on the younger generation, and allow the older bodies out of shielding to go about their business in peace? Call me ageist by all means, but that's how I feel. Can't keep these poor older souls locked up forever.
    I've had this thought as well. When I've gone out, the only people I've seen without masks are a couple of homeless people and kids/teens. I've seen lots of groups of young people, standing on street corners waiting for the lights to turn to use the crosswalk, right next to each other, no masks. Lots of them standing close together hanging out in front of Starbucks and Sonic, no masks. I feel for them, cause I know it sucks not to see their friends, and there's not much for them to do, but they tell their parents they're going out wearing a mask, and then they meet up with big groups at places and eat and smoke and the mask comes off and social distancing goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    I've had this thought as well. When I've gone out, the only people I've seen without masks are a couple of homeless people and kids/teens. I've seen lots of groups of young people, standing on street corners waiting for the lights to turn to use the crosswalk, right next to each other, no masks. Lots of them standing close together hanging out in front of Starbucks and Sonic, no masks. I feel for them, cause I know it sucks not to see their friends, and there's not much for them to do, but they tell their parents they're going out wearing a mask, and then they meet up with big groups at places and eat and smoke and the mask comes off and social distancing goes away.
    The younger generation (well certainly in urban areas) do have an unfortunate penchant for what I call 'pack' activity - always in a group, no notion of pavement etiquette, and minimal consideration for others around them. From what I've seen around north London where I am you would think they had never heard of social-distancing (oh how I hate these new phrases). None of them give way on the pavement and I've found myself walking in the road to keep away from them. When I was their age - not so many moons ago - the coppers would have come down hard on anyone behaving like that on the streets and broken up gatherings - and my parents would have operated more control over what I got up to. But I suppose different times....

At least if the older generation and those shielding were given the run of the streets, they at least are more considerate of each other, sensible of prevailing conditions, and least likely to spread infections of any kind. You would soon see the escalating infection rates start to go down. If I was in charge of the UK I would quarantine large swathes of the younger generation until all this nonsense was over. But I'd better get off my soapbox...

If the govt wants to slow down the spread again, wonder why they don't consider putting a curfew on the younger generation, and allow the older bodies out of shielding to go about their business in peace? Call me ageist by all means, but that's how I feel. Can't keep these poor older souls locked up forever.
    You'll love this taken from the comments section of the Daily Mail then.

Screenshot_2020-08-03 Make the young socially distance, Boris Johnson is warned.png

Looking at the weekly data - indeed as reported cases go up the number of deaths is falling. I agree with Lencoboy that the increasing numbers are attributable to increased testing, plus some residual spread as the lockdown has been eased. Some of the coverage of data suggests that the increasing rates are mostly in the younger population - they certainly are the majority out on the streets, in the pubs (and holding illegal raves). The common opposite my house in swarming with them outside the pub every day of the week.

As critical many of us on here have been of our govt's general handling of this pandemic, I for once, believe they acted in a timely manner this time round by not only making face masks in enclosed indoor public environments mandatory, but also by imposing certain restrictions on the areas currently affected by localised CV flare-ups, and of course, postponing the next planned phase of easements until at least 15th August.

Despite the well-publicised incident concerning the pub in Stone last week, my county of Staffordshire generally still seems to have fairly low numbers of CV infections ATM. The stats for my town are lumped together with those of the county as a whole, apart from Stoke-on-Trent, which has been a unitary authority in its own right since the mid-90s and counted separately, despite still actually remaining part of the county of Staffs ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    You'll love this taken from the comments section of the Daily Mail then.

Screenshot_2020-08-03 Make the young socially distance, Boris Johnson is warned.png
    As far as the Fail are concerned, it makes a radical change from the typical 'bring back the birch' brigade who usually post such very radical comments on there, but for that young person on there to blatantly admit to being invincible I agree is bang out of order and smacks of self-righteousness, though, of course, it would be better if the inevitable 'youth of today'-bashing is done in another thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    For Russia read China, take everything they say with a mine of salt.
    Remember, we have our own CV vaccine currently under development, so I wouldn't worry too much about the likes of Russia and China,.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    As far as the Fail are concerned, it makes a radical change from the typical 'bring back the birch' brigade who usually post such very radical comments on there, but for that young person on there to blatantly admit to being invincible I agree is bang out of order and smacks of self-righteousness, though, of course, it would be better if the inevitable 'youth of today'-bashing is done in another thread!!
    I don't wish to unnecessarily bash today's youth as a whole - we were all young once and believed everything centred around what we thought and did - just age and experience does generally tend to make people wiser. In situations like the one we all find ourselves in at present, conversely the older generation who would be the least likely to contribute to infection spread (having been effectively quarantined for 4 months) are disadvantaged and having their lives put on hold - by such as the poster of that comment in the Mail. Way of the world I suppose..

If some young people consider themselves "invincible" then why not offer them financial incentives to test out new vaccine options? To keep them off the street and to teach them ways of thinking of others less fortunate? They would be making a meaningful contribution to society and to their future. They believe Covid has been massively over-hyped so there's no risk at all.

My daughter is 21 and I consider her to be sensible. However I've noticed lately her social activities have begun to creep up. Friday night was the pub where a scuffle broke out, yesterday she was at the coast with a group of friends and tonight she's out somewhere. She knows her mother is in a vulnerable group so I'm just hoping and trusting her to do the right thing. But are masks worn in pubs? On beaches? Myself and Mrs F can be careful until the cows come home, but that virus will find its way in here.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    My daughter is 21 and I consider her to be sensible. However I've noticed lately her social activities have begun to creep up. Friday night was the pub where a scuffle broke out, yesterday she was at the coast with a group of friends and tonight she's out somewhere. She knows her mother is in a vulnerable group so I'm just hoping and trusting her to do the right thing. But are masks worn in pubs? On beaches? Myself and Mrs F can be careful until the cows come home, but that virus will find its way in here.
    I can understand your worry Fishman - not only at what your daughter might come up against out there but also at what she might bring home with her. My parents are octogenarians and I haven't been able to see them for some time (I'm in London and they are 100 miles away) - and I'm concerned about inadvertently bringing up something nasty from London. Have been keeping away from trouble for weeks now and limiting outside activity to a daily walk (when the streets are quiet) and getting most of my shopping online to avoid large supermarkets.

Unfortunately the younger generation are not that cautious and don't seem to appreciate that they can pass on infections without necessarily succumbing themselves to illness. Hope as you say she is being careful.

Liked Pulisa's suggestion about offering the more wayward youthful 'invincibles' financial incentive to get test vaccinated. That should concentrate their minds.....

Page 111 of 717 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211611 ... LastLast

Thread Information