Page 402 of 717 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404412452502 ... LastLast
Results 4,011 to 4,020 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    It does seem that the worst affected areas right now are those with the lowest vaccine uptakes, and it beggars belief that people are still buying into the conspiracy theories about the vaccines being more harmful than even Covid itself, and the bats**t crazy beliefs about them being impregnated with microchips, etc, which there is still no evidence of whatsoever.

Mind you, the equally bats**t crazy hysteria over 5G masts about a year ago, just like the toilet roll mania, seems to have now gone south, thank God!
    More than that some spiritual leaders have been pulled up for anti messages.

A recent article from the BBC stated various reasons why uptake is lower in black communities. Lack of trust in government was one, another was a disproportionate level of spending compared to messages to the Asian community who had more.

It's understandable there lacks trust, and any working class community has felt that for quite some decades too, but the news is on daily. They can see what's happening. I think it's a bit of a cop out to absolve yourself of personal responsible because you haven't been targeted enough. And besides, some MPs did just this after the initial low vaccination rates in the black community (Diane Abbott is one I can remember straight away).

Having said that there are those who speak little English who need something specific. And those from countries where a uniform represents oppression. I would like to think they see this as from theirs doctors, they must see someone when ill, but staying away from authorities is understandable in these groups.

The lack of clarity is to the media what a juicy pork chop is to a lion.
    SO so true !

'They' must believe that the vaccine has some impact on the Indian variant, otherwise they wouldn't be urging vaccination and bringing forth appointments for the over 50s !

Just heard Matt Hancock say that there was tentative promising data about this..but basically they don't know. A decision will be made on 14th June re the next stage of lockdown.

So I'm confused. Are we still gonna continue the easing of lockdown or is there a chance we'll go back into it?

Quote Originally Posted by TaleOn11 View Post
    So I'm confused. Are we still gonna continue the easing of lockdown or is there a chance we'll go back into it?
    How long is a piece of string?

Views across the Internet vary from "carry on" to "I think we need a 'circuit breaker' NOW".

As far as I can see, tomorrow's easing will happen but what comes on 21/6 is most likely to be delayed. IF things materially deteriorate then we may end up back where we are as of today, unless the 'circuit breaker' option gets invoked but they just get ignored anyway - everyone seems to be a 'key worker' now.

(Which reminds me - I must buy some more masks.)

Poor old Matt Hancock is getting a grilling this morning..His shadow government counterpart was at the FA Cup Final yesterday without a care in the world..

I say put all countries on the red list and continue with things as they are until 21/6. Not popular with the hospitality sector or desperate sunseekers but what's the priority here? We don't want a National Covid Service, we want an NHS where there's room for cancers and other life-threatening and painful illnesses to be treated as a matter of urgency and not shunted to one side.

Most of the information coming out seems to point to those that are vaccinated don't appear to be greatly affected by the Indian variant, it's mainly the unvaccinated and those that chose not to take it are the ones ending up in hospital. Hence, the huge queues at the pop-up vaccination centres in the high incidence areas yesterday, though that is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but every vaccination must help.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Poor old Matt Hancock is getting a grilling this morning..His shadow government counterpart was at the FA Cup Final yesterday without a care in the world.
    What the Shadow Health Secretary was doing yesterday is irrelevant, P. They're not in power so can do what they damn well like.

Hancock's got the job - he's also incompetent. So I have no sympathy if he's got a grilling off Marr, especially as Marr normally gives Tories an easy ride.

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57134181

In Bolton there are 18 people in hospital with coronavirus, with the majority of those not having the jab despite being eligible, the health secretary said.

He added that five people had ended up in hospital having had one jab, while there was one there who had received both doses but was "frail".

The take-home from that BBC story is that the current vaccines work against it, but it is likely to become the new dominant strain.

Anyway, when the toothless wonders start filling up the Spoons from breakfast tomorrow, expect cases to rise sharply in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    How long is a piece of string?

Views across the Internet vary from "carry on" to "I think we need a 'circuit breaker' NOW".

As far as I can see, tomorrow's easing will happen but what comes on 21/6 is most likely to be delayed. IF things materially deteriorate then we may end up back where we are as of today, unless the 'circuit breaker' option gets invoked but they just get ignored anyway - everyone seems to be a 'key worker' now.

(Which reminds me - I must buy some more masks.)
    Yes, any new restrictions would probably be unworkable now, as compliance would probably end up being far lower, no matter how justified they were!

The main headline currently on the BBC website says that early lab tests reveal that the current vaccines are (mostly) effective against the Indian variant, which sounds promising, and only just one person so far (in Bolton) who has had both jabs is currently in hospital with it, but that person is reported to be frail anyway. Five further people have only had one jab so far, and the other twelve (the majority) are still unvaccinated.

Matt Hancock has announced that so far he is not aware of any deaths of anyone who had been vaccinated but since tested positive for the Indian variant.

Page 402 of 717 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404412452502 ... LastLast

Thread Information