Page 146 of 717 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246646 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Good ol' compartmentalised behaviour! I can imagine how impossible home-schooling would be..So totally out of context!

I'm glad he's loving his new school..That's a great achievement and well done to you too, Nora because transitioning can be terribly hard.
    It's the same school, pulisa. He started when he was 7 (having been almost broken by mainstream) and will stay there until his schooling is done. Massive relief. That said, there are two campuses and, due to Covid, his year have been moved to the other campus, so it has been a transition in a way. He's coped really well. His only anxiety being if the new campus chef would be able to do his burgers like the other one. Turns out, this one is even better at burgers - so the problem will be getting him back to the other campus lol.

Whilst I have had a bit of a break from here since Sunday, I have read and heard about people moaning about the new 6 person rule that came into force on Monday, and some of those people have accused the govt of taking liberties and said they think the maximum limit should be a higher number.

I bet many of those same people would be amongst the first to have digs at the govt, NHS, etc, accusing them of 'too little, too late' if they and/or their families end up coming down with the virus over the coming days/weeks, all for the sake of their indignation at this simple new rule of 6 persons.

Not too much to ask, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Don't know about anyone else, but I'm just so sick of all the same old BBC bulls!!!t every hour of every day - just doommongering, misery and political nonsense everywhere you look. he BBC, the so-called experts, the MSM are just desperate for this 'second' wave to justify the climate of fear they have created ... I haven't watched or listened to the news for months now - just check in to Talk Radio or YouTube to get rational perspective on events and to hear some alternative opinion to keep me grounded. Have struggled these last two months to keep my sanity - still working from home after 6 months as I'm not allowed back to my offices yet, and no physical contact with anyone apart from my nieghbours downstairs and the Sainsburys delivery guys. This is like a never-ending groundhog day and I've had more than enough.Sometimes you just need to re-charge the batteries and think about something else.
    I agree with you. The general narrative of late seems to be that we're fighting a losing battle against this wretched virus and I for one am getting sick to the back teeth of hyperbolic language like 'second wave', in which this first wave is still hardly over and never even went away, and calling the latest restrictions in the W. Mids a 'lockdown', when it is actually nothing of the sort, and doesn't even come close to what actually happened in Leicester over the summer, let alone the actual nationwide lockdown over the spring.

I just wish for once and for all the media got their facts straight on this particular matter, but alas, that's extremely unlikely as many seem to revel in the sensationalist narrative, and the media are basically pandering to them.

Give me Dr John Campbell and his ilk on YouTube anyday!!

I'm glad that GPs are now being challenged on their failure to provide sufficient face-to-face consultations when needed. Too many of them are hiding behind their phones and making lazy diagnoses based on guesswork.
    I tend to agree, though I think this so-called laziness was already going on in one form or another long before Covid became a thing, and to a certain extent, even predating the austerity measures of the past decade.

I personally think it's a manifestation of the 'can't-be-bothered' and 'blame game' cultures that have more or less permeated most professions over the past 30 years or so, irrespective of who's in govt.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 16-09-20 at 12:17.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    It's the same school, pulisa. He started when he was 7 (having been almost broken by mainstream) and will stay there until his schooling is done. Massive relief. That said, there are two campuses and, due to Covid, his year have been moved to the other campus, so it has been a transition in a way. He's coped really well. His only anxiety being if the new campus chef would be able to do his burgers like the other one. Turns out, this one is even better at burgers - so the problem will be getting him back to the other campus lol.
    He must get his priorities right! Getting the right school is so crucial, isn't it?! My son was in mainstream with a Statement of SEN from 4 to 18 and my daughter was at a school for autistic children from 4-11, then went to an LD school for girls but that was too much socially so she went back to her first school after having to take a year out with severe anxiety.

I hope your boy's only worries are burger-related in the coming weeks!

On the BBC News website it's been stated that a second national lockdown in the UK is both highly unlikely ATM.

Not just from BJ, but from other experts and advisors, all of whom not only believe that the implications for the economy, people's other (non-CV) health issues, education, etc would prove even more problematic this time round, but also because it's believed that the authorities, NHS, etc have a much better grasp on the situation now than back in the early spring of this year.

Nevertheless, the deaths still remain far, far lower compared to the last time a similar, but very slightly higher, number to today's was recorded on the 10th May.

I know it's currently a subject of much debate as to whether the true rates of daily infections earlier in the year were actually higher than was realised at the time due to testing only being limited to those who were already extremely ill in hospital with the virus, but it's most certainly interesting that the powers that be now concede a second nationwide lockdown to be even more detrimental than the virus itself, which I kind of agree, but we'll just have to wait and see, especially given BJ and Co. are notorious for abruptly changing their minds over many things.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 16-09-20 at 19:10.

The medical correspondent on ITV news pointed out the fact that testing was central to avoiding another national lockdown. But with cases 'soaring' and testing seemingly failing all ends up, how do avoid that lockdown? Or is that aforementioned correspondent towing the alarmist MSM line?

Like you Lencoboy I still watch Dr Campbell on youtube, I've only missed a couple since he started in January.

The news about possible lockdown is called prep talk. They're preparing for what's inevitably going to happen. When I hear Government saying there is a possibility of a national lockdown it generally means it's going to happen.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

He must get his priorities right! Getting the right school is so crucial, isn't it?! My son was in mainstream with a Statement of SEN from 4 to 18 and my daughter was at a school for autistic children from 4-11, then went to an LD school for girls but that was too much socially so she went back to her first school after having to take a year out with severe anxiety.

I hope your boy's only worries are burger-related in the coming weeks!
    Mainstream still makes my nervous twitch kick in. They were incredibly supportive, and lovely, but they struggled to handle my son even with full one to one support. We had lots of issues with certain parents who saw my son as a bully, and not the vulnerable child he was. He was accused of 'bribing a child to be his friend' when he gave her some money to buy some fruit because she hadn't any. This parent told the teachers that my son wasn't to play with their child - despite them having been friends for years. His time at mainstream ended on a low with a police caution issued to parent who abused me and my son in the street. They were shouting and swearing - calling my son 'unfit' to be around other children. If it had just been me, I wouldn't have involved the police, but my kid was traumatised, so...

According to the police, the only thing this person was bothered about was if the caution would affect their job - not that they had traumatised a vulnerable 7 year old child. They threatened the HT that they would remove their child if he didn't expel my son. So he told them, in no uncertain terms, to remove their child, and they did. When they heard my son had left the school, they asked if their child could come back and was refused. I think we did the school a favour lol. In the end my son's mental health hit crisis point so our council didn't argue when we applied for a place at this new school - the only one locally which was right for him. As it was, we didn't have the battle that a lot parents do. He's a different boy these days. Actually, he changed within 2 weeks of being there. The right school is crucial, for sure. He's a happy boy now.

He's chilled about Covid. I've no worries there, thankfully. He is in a class of 6 so distancing isn't an issue. This is opposed to the class of 35 he was in in mainstream!

I'm so pleased that your son has found his ideal school environment after such a horrendous ordeal. Some parents are plain ignorant but they should never be allowed to traumatise vulnerable children and get away with it..

I was lucky getting a special school placement for my daughter..Having a girl in the class was quite an exception then!

My daughter has a dual diagnosis-ASD and OCD-so Covid has destroyed her safety mechanisms. All that she has learned re managing her OCD has been swept away so it's a tough one..

Page 146 of 717 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246646 ... LastLast

Thread Information