Page 520 of 520 FirstFirst ... 20420470510518519520
Results 5,191 to 5,192 of 5192

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    That last point of yours is insightful Gary. I'd never looked at domestic dogs evolving to be less dangerous. Of course, we know the ancestor of all domestic dogs is the grey wolf, so clearly they have become more compliant. But how much of that is down to selective breeding on our part? Us picking the more obedient puppies and so on. Though the end result is the same. And a little of the wolf remains. Rolling in stuff that stinks is something that wolves do to disguise their own scent from prey and enemies. Dogs have retained that, much to the annoyance of many an owner as I can attest. Ditto howling.

I was also reading somewhere that the common colds that coexist quite happily with us all now, were probably much more harmful when our ancestors were first infected. But we've now earned the right, probably through a lot of deaths/illness, to live alongside them. Which underlines just how lucky we are to have vaccines, and how bizarre that some would still rather do it the old fashioned way.
    That and how we have shaped them as work animals. But I suspect our dogs are far more cunning and at some point realised the futility of hunting in the wild vs doing a doggie cute face and just getting fed treats

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Usually**

Like Gary said, if a virus wants to keep itself alive, it's in its best interest not to kill its host.
    I think we also need to remember the importance afforded to Covid. The world threw everything at it. If it mutates to make current vaccines ineffective wouldn't we throw the big money at it again?

If we do this then perhaps it will mutate to stay alive in a less lethal form? Or do we push it into a corner where it mutates into a more serious form, as mentioned in the first link PM posted that some do? The odds are on the former.

Page 520 of 520 FirstFirst ... 20420470510518519520

Thread Information