Page 155 of 717 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255655 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Despite the ongoing rises in cases nationally, it was reported in our local paper today that there have been fewer cases in both my town and throughout most of my county (Staffs) at the latest count, compared to the previous week.

I'm also sure Dr JC mentioned the other day that cases in Spain might just be starting to show signs of waning, following seemingly relentless increases since around July or so.
    In my area too Lencoboy (East Northants) the BBC says 10 cases between 14th and 20th Sept, -5 on previous week.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    In my area too Lencoboy (East Northants) the BBC says 10 cases between 14th and 20th Sept, -5 on previous week.
    Quite ironic considering the Northampton area was recently named as a Covid hotspot on the national watchlist.

Today's vid from Dr JC reveals some interesting observations, even (dare I say it) hinting that our govt might in some ways be overlooking other (non-Covid) preventable causes of death that are actually more common and deadly than Covid itself, and also mentioned the 'died from' vs 'died with' Covid conundrum, even allowing for the recently introduced 28 day cut-off.

I see the NHS COVID app has been released. I downloaded it onto my phone but daughter was adamant I uninstall it due to its potential effect on my anxiety.

I think this app will be dynamite for people with anxiety disorders. I don't have a smartphone myself but my daughter isn't going to download the app onto her phone because it would just add to her terror and she is terrified enough.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think this app will be dynamite for people with anxiety disorders. I don't have a smartphone myself but my daughter isn't going to download the app onto her phone because it would just add to her terror and she is terrified enough.
    I agree Pulisa. While undoubtedly useful, I can't imagine my own reaction if I'm told I was standing next to an infected stranger earlier in the day. I'm just going to continue being very careful and keeping my risk to a minimum.

Despite the ongoing rises in cases nationally, it was reported in our local paper today that there have been fewer cases in both my town and throughout most of my county (Staffs) at the latest count, compared to the previous week.

I'm also sure Dr JC mentioned the other day that cases in Spain might just be starting to show signs of waning, following seemingly relentless increases since around July or so.
    Looking at the 7 day rolling average the curve is now sharpening to match the peak previously reported. If that holds we can see a pattern similar to earlier except it will obviously be much higher now due to testing.

Hospitalisations and deaths, whilst rising, show shallow curves. Only when these increase are we in trouble, not considering economic damage.

Quite ironic considering the Northampton area was recently named as a Covid hotspot on the national watchlist.

Today's vid from Dr JC reveals some interesting observations, even (dare I say it) hinting that our govt might in some ways be overlooking other (non-Covid) preventable causes of death that are actually more common and deadly than Covid itself, and also mentioned the 'died from' vs 'died with' Covid conundrum, even allowing for the recently introduced 28 day cut-off.
    It's up down up down in the 5 regime I check under my post code. But SOT is going up the worst and has a high rate per 100k (currently 36). Cases overall aren't going up anywhere as fast as they were in the original lockdown where we saw 20-30+ new cases per day once it really hit. It's only doing that over a week now and with far more testing which suggests things are nowhere near as bad as they were earlier in the year.

As for other preventable deaths, something KK has questioned throughout this, I wonder if we will see a public inquest and compensation cases. Priority cancer patients have died so I can imagine the neglect of the elderly. We've now been contacted for my mum's first assessment with the relevant team and I was very surprised given the increases will be a new shield to services who want to keep backlogs down with some number messaging...or preventing you even getting counted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Damn. I did wonder when the pop aisle also looked sparse. Dairy (and UHT), canned, etc were ok though. The mushy peas were short though which can correlate to big rolls sold

Crazy pics of the panic buyers just like before. It was no busier when I was shopping but I'll report back tomorrow when I go to some other shops. Bit worrying that the DM think one pack of family sized is panic buying though

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Nature will always design a better idiot. I've learned this from designing user interfaces.

For a little relief, but related: https://newsthump.com/2020/09/22/wha...-bombing-hoax/
    That's true. One of nature's ironic yin & yangs.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It's up down up down in the 5 regime I check under my post code. But SOT is going up the worst and has a high rate per 100k (currently 36). Cases overall aren't going up anywhere as fast as they were in the original lockdown where we saw 20-30+ new cases per day once it really hit. It's only doing that over a week now and with far more testing which suggests things are nowhere near as bad as they were earlier in the year.

As for other preventable deaths, something KK has questioned throughout this, I wonder if we will see a public inquest and compensation cases. Priority cancer patients have died so I can imagine the neglect of the elderly. We've now been contacted for my mum's first assessment with the relevant team and I was very surprised given the increases will be a new shield to services who want to keep backlogs down with some number messaging...or preventing you even getting counted.
    Does that contact mean an actual time and date for the assessment or is it and introductory letter from the team explaining their role and what happens at the assessment? I really hope it's the former, Terry..

Page 155 of 717 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255655 ... LastLast

Thread Information