Page 673 of 717 FirstFirst ... 173573623663671672673674675683 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,730 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    She better not before the 3rd of June, I want my bonus bank holiday!
    From memory that's the day after the anniversary of her coronation?

I'd look it up on the commemorative glasses my parents had except I can't remember which one of us kids inherited them...

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    From memory that's the day after the anniversary of her coronation?

I'd look it up on the commemorative glasses my parents had except I can't remember which one of us kids inherited them...
    I really dread to imagine the epic meltdowns of this country when Her Maj finally snuffs it, especially after the Princess Di mass hysteria back in 1997.

Even the FTSE 100 is bound to collapse on that fateful day the very moment that news breaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I really dread to imagine the epic meltdowns of this country when Her Maj finally snuffs it, especially after the Princess Di mass hysteria back in 1997.

Even the FTSE 100 is bound to collapse on that fateful day the very moment that news breaks!
    Double reason for me not wanting her to go now. My crypto has taken a hit this month, don't want my shares to get whacked as well.

You might get an additional Bank Holiday for The Funeral, spectrum?!! Unless it's on a Saturday of course.

I think it would be reasonable to expect a major major reaction from the general public as and when. I can't envisage Boris being up to the task of being a dignified and respectful PM as the nation mourns its monarch and also of being an appropriate host to all the invited dignitaries

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You might get an additional Bank Holiday for The Funeral, spectrum?!! Unless it's on a Saturday of course.

I think it would be reasonable to expect a major major reaction from the general public as and when. I can't envisage Boris being up to the task of being a dignified and respectful PM as the nation mourns its monarch and also of being an appropriate host to all the invited dignitaries
    He's got his make up stocked up ready

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Actually Lenco I was out in the street wailing with grief after Princess Di died.

I think I might have cried about it too, mainly watching telly and the funeral and seeing her little boys.

I'm not a big royalist, but I cried at the bits of Prince Philip funeral that I saw too. I guess it was so soon after my mum dying and seeing the Queen sitting in church on her own was just heartbreaking. Noone should have to go through that.

But then if it had been a relative of Boris, there probably would have been a party afterwards. Yeah, I know, I'm still bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    I think I might have cried about it too, mainly watching telly and the funeral and seeing her little boys.

I'm not a big royalist, but I cried at the bits of Prince Philip funeral that I saw too. I guess it was so soon after my mum dying and seeing the Queen sitting in church on her own was just heartbreaking. Noone should have to go through that.

But then if it had been a relative of Boris, there probably would have been a party afterwards. Yeah, I know, I'm still bitter.
    Sorry to sound pedantic, but Boris was still virtually unheard of and irrelevant to most people back then in 1997, plus there was no (known) pandemic back then either.

All in all, still a more carefree time for most people, unlike now where we're constantly possessed by social media, 24/7 rolling news channels plus producers in the entertainment industry (films, TV dramas, soaps, music, etc) feeling obliged to rely on cliched sensationalism/shock value (violence, sex, extreme profanity, etc) in order to 'sell out', where many of us actually want some escapism and light relief.

For many years my dad has been saying to me that the entertainment industry needs to rely on shock value in order to survive, plus it's the writers making 'statements' regarding their dissatisfaction with the state of the world, etc, going back to at least the mid 90s when, for example, I pointed out my disgust at the 'Pulp Fiction' soundtrack CD on display in our local Woolies, depicting the woman with a cigarette on the front cover, plus its ready-printed 'Parental Advisory' legend, also on the front cover, and my dad said, 'the record companies need to sell CDs', in a similar sense to 'the press need to sell newspapers'.

Slightly back on topic, I also wonder what it might have been like if we had a pandemic like this back in the 90s, especially before the Internet became mainstream, which didn't really start to happen until towards the end of said decade.

Catkins was referring to Prince Philip's funeral, Lenco.

Boris actually lost his mum during the pandemic. No doubt Dominic Cummings will have damning evidence about what happened afterwards..

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Catkins was referring to Prince Philip's funeral, Lenco.

Boris actually lost his mum during the pandemic. No doubt Dominic Cummings will have damning evidence about what happened afterwards..
    My mistake, I seemed to miss that bit.

I probably still hadn't quite woken up properly at the time I wrote my last post.

Strangely, there never seemed to be the same widespread grief bandwagon-jumping as in the aftermath of Diana's death, likely due to differences in age and circumstances?

Deaths of major figures such as Royal Family members and major celebs in general (e.g, Freddie Mercury) seemed to be a far greater deal back in the 90s.

Aside from the fact that celeb deaths have seemingly accelerated over the past decade or so, they just seem to become rather 'meh' and water under the bridge to most people about a fortnight or more later, unlike pre-2000 in particular, the passing of a major celeb/public figure seemed to have a lasting cultural impact for more than a year, especially the former Queen front man, which eventually culminated in the posthumous 1995 album 'Made In Heaven' 4 years after Mercury's passing.

Probably due to the fact that the vast majority of the population during the first half of the 90s still only had just 4 TV channels to make do with, and the Internet still only being a tiny microcosm of what it became by the end of the decade onwards.

Back on topic (again), I've noticed that the MSM haven't really been making too big a deal over the Omicron BA.2 variant, which might be partly responsible for the decline in cases levelling off during the past fortnight or so.

Though so far, it doesn't appear to be any more lethal than the original Omicron BA.1, and both are believed to have coexisted since November.

Page 673 of 717 FirstFirst ... 173573623663671672673674675683 ... LastLast

Thread Information