Page 175 of 717 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275675 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    I do remember the last caning of a pupil which attracted crowds of pupils akin to the mobs around the guillotine (it was behind closed doors of the headmaster's office though..) - very rare event.
    At my school the slipper was the first level of corporal punishment, usually administered by either the head of house or the head of year. Canings were the next level and only by the headmaster - but sometimes were administered during assembly.

If that didn't work - there was an 'Approved School' just down the road and that is where you got expelled to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    It's alright 'boy. You're not at school now, so no nasty teacher's going to make you eat it.
    I've just put something like that out for the birds!

I've heard of suet pudding. Are they the same?

The slipper was for primary schools here. The cane for secondary schools. It was just going out as I went to secondary. Considering the headmistress looked like Kim Woodburn, as I later learned from TV, I'm glad it was banned as she was, to quote a northern description, a 'sturdy lass'.

I don't think the educational system was bad. I get the impression we saw our teachers more as senior figures rather than mates as it sounds now (much of society has changed that way, look at the police).

None of it prepares you for work unless your job involves knowing how to leave a fallow field...Higher education is the same from my experience of working with many grads. So much of secondary and 6th form will see a lot of never use it outside of playing TV quiz shows. The world long ago moved on from slow paper based processing (perhaps leaving the NHS aside ) and companies use software to work it out for you.

Piers Corbyn and assorted loons at it again:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...edium=referral

The response from The Met is just laughable.

Since we have to put up with these idiots can they all be sprayed with that paint they put in banks to catch robbers? I would say an addition to the app to flag up when we are near from of these fools but how many are so paranoid they are being tracked by the government (must be a very boring job watching them).

The irony if Piers got infected. And I don't think the fines will deter those who have lots of money...

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Piers Corbyn and assorted loons at it again:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...edium=referral

The response from The Met is just laughable.

Since we have to put up with these idiots can they all be sprayed with that paint they put in banks to catch robbers? I would say an addition to the app to flag up when we are near from of these fools but how many are so paranoid they are being tracked by the government (must be a very boring job watching them).

The irony if Piers got infected. And I don't think the fines will deter those who have lots of money...
    They don't seem to care about the possibilities of being tracked via their phones though, but delusional about the forthcoming Covid vaccines being doped with some fabled microchips, which I can't for the life of me believe is possible as yet.

Although I don't necessarily agree with all of Dorabella's views mentioned above on the British educational system of late, I do kind of agree that it has become increasingly dumbed down over the past 30 years or so, where many teachers would rather just avoid certain issues rather than attempt to educate pupils effectively about them, especially politics and religion.

Little wonder a few have turned to extremist propaganda circulating online, and the social media giants in turn often caught napping, 'cause it's 'all about free expression, innit'!

Over here pub curfews have seen revellers gorge themselves the days before. In Spain, it's a little different...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/18/mass-...m_source=upday

I wonder, in the UK does the 'rule of six' apply?

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Nothing wrong with the older British educational system - I went through it and came out unscathed.!
    Wish I could say the same. For undiagnosed autistic Gen Xers like me - it was torture.

I was once made to stand on a chair (hands on my head) while the teacher ripped my sewing to shreds in front of the whole class. Then she threw the pieces at me.

"This is what we do with rubbish"

I was made to stand there all through playtime.

What did I do to deserve this treatment?

I went wrong with my sewing and was so severely anxious that I couldn't ask for help.

I still can't look at a needle and thread without seeing that woman's scowling face...

When I die, I'm SO coming to find you Miss...

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Wish I could say the same. For undiagnosed autistic Gen Xers like me - it was torture.

I was once made to stand on a chair (hands on my head) while the teacher ripped my sewing to shreds in front of the whole class. Then she threw the pieces at me.

I went wrong with my sewing and was so severely anxious that I couldn't ask for help.

I still can't look at a needle and thread without seeing that woman's scowling face...

Unfortunately my school years are littered with psychopaths, sex fiends and downright incompetent teachers. I doubt any of those would get a job now - and a good job too. My late wife told me of a particularly nasty woman teacher that behaved in a not entirely dissimilar manner to what you described above, and also attacked a girl for getting upset shortly after her mother died. Given my school's reputation in the city back then, I am surprised a bit more 'rough justice' wasn't handed back to the teachers but you just didn't then.

Some of the teachers though were brilliant, kind and understanding and I will always have the utmost respect for them.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post

That really sucks, Nora!!

Sounds like your teacher was a stupid power-crazy barsteward with a bit of a screw loose herself.

Activities like sewing, and art and craft in general, should be pleasurable and therapeutic, and that brainless cretin who was supposed to have educated you must have put you off such activities for life, and I guess you probably have since been triggered whenever you have seen sewing-related equipment.

I honestly believe many of us on the spectrum had (and still have) more of a brain that many of those useless, not fit for purpose teachers themselves, but unfortunately we were, more often
    than not, the powerless 'seen and not heard' elephants in the room.

In fact, I wouldn't even regard them as 'real' teachers. 'Real' teachers for me are genuinely pleasant, caring and understanding people, not imbeciles like that loser you had the misfortune to be (non) educated by!

Sorry for yet another epic (and off-topic) rant.

Oy vey, your school stories all sound like something out of Oliver Twist!

Page 175 of 717 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275675 ... LastLast

Thread Information