Page 519 of 717 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521529569619 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,190 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I suppose it is the potential legacy from Covid which marks it out from other virulent viruses? Organ damage in young people, the enigma of Long Covid and whether it can be classed as a functional disorder or a neurological issue?
    This does concern me - I have heard that Covid is more vascular than respiratory. I know that there are a lot of "long haulers" and I know people who have had even mild cases that have had long lasting symptoms.

I do certainly hope everything can be contained and that it will get less lethal over time, but only time will tell.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

That last point of yours is insightful Gary. I'd never looked at domestic dogs evolving to be less dangerous. Of course, we know the ancestor of all domestic dogs is the grey wolf, so clearly they have become more compliant. But how much of that is down to selective breeding on our part? Us picking the more obedient puppies and so on. Though the end result is the same. And a little of the wolf remains. Rolling in stuff that stinks is something that wolves do to disguise their own scent from prey and enemies. Dogs have retained that, much to the annoyance of many an owner as I can attest. Ditto howling.

I was also reading somewhere that the common colds that coexist quite happily with us all now, were probably much more harmful when our ancestors were first infected. But we've now earned the right, probably through a lot of deaths/illness, to live alongside them. Which underlines just how lucky we are to have vaccines, and how bizarre that some would still rather do it the old fashioned way.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    True, FM. More mutations usually decreases the severity/lethality.
    Not necessarily true, Vee.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-011488089270

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...avirus-evolve/

Well that's guaranteed me a good night's sleep.

Usually**

Like Gary said, if a virus wants to keep itself alive, it's in its best interest not to kill its host.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    I agree with this view. In the midst of the pandemic while the deaths were piling up, there were still young people in hospital and as now generally surviving, but the big news was the death toll.

What we do know now, although the young were surviving, some are being left with permanent damage from the virus.
    I agree also. To understand the true impact of Delta would be to remove all vaccination. The hospitals would have been in very serious trouble with this one. The focus is on who is left to feel it's impact. And without a comparison, in the young, that examines the % infected to become hospitalised all we are seeing are rising numbers and steep inclines in their group without context.

Rolling out vaccination earlier, and to greater numbers, means we have dodged a bullet. It's quite clear from watching the expanding patterns across the country that most areas aren't taking long to peak and fall. With a much larger number of people it would have accelerated faster but may not have fallen so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    That last point of yours is insightful Gary. I'd never looked at domestic dogs evolving to be less dangerous. Of course, we know the ancestor of all domestic dogs is the grey wolf, so clearly they have become more compliant. But how much of that is down to selective breeding on our part? Us picking the more obedient puppies and so on. Though the end result is the same. And a little of the wolf remains. Rolling in stuff that stinks is something that wolves do to disguise their own scent from prey and enemies. Dogs have retained that, much to the annoyance of many an owner as I can attest. Ditto howling.

I was also reading somewhere that the common colds that coexist quite happily with us all now, were probably much more harmful when our ancestors were first infected. But we've now earned the right, probably through a lot of deaths/illness, to live alongside them. Which underlines just how lucky we are to have vaccines, and how bizarre that some would still rather do it the old fashioned way.
    That and how we have shaped them as work animals. But I suspect our dogs are far more cunning and at some point realised the futility of hunting in the wild vs doing a doggie cute face and just getting fed treats

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Usually**

Like Gary said, if a virus wants to keep itself alive, it's in its best interest not to kill its host.
    I think we also need to remember the importance afforded to Covid. The world threw everything at it. If it mutates to make current vaccines ineffective wouldn't we throw the big money at it again?

If we do this then perhaps it will mutate to stay alive in a less lethal form? Or do we push it into a corner where it mutates into a more serious form, as mentioned in the first link PM posted that some do? The odds are on the former.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I agree also. To understand the true impact of Delta would be to remove all vaccination. The hospitals would have been in very serious trouble with this one. The focus is on who is left to feel it's impact. And without a comparison, in the young, that examines the % infected to become hospitalised all we are seeing are rising numbers and steep inclines in their group without context.
    This is the big issue with all this, and has often been the case - there's no control group.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That and how we have shaped them as work animals. But I suspect our dogs are far more cunning and at some point realised the futility of hunting in the wild vs doing a doggie cute face and just getting fed treats
    You've reminded me of my former neighbours and their endearingly cute cocker spaniel, Phoebe; she was very good at coming to the dinner table, plonking her head on the table on one side with big eyes and whimpering gently. One of neighbours' elderly relatives - upon seeing this - remarked "she's been here before", a remark implying said doggy had a soul from a previous life.

Page 519 of 717 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521529569619 ... LastLast

Thread Information