Page 1 of 717 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Covid-19 discussion thread

Latest info from Korea as some of us had suspected:

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200429000724

Re: Good News About Covid19 Reinfection

Great news! I knew there had to be an explanation, but it's good to see some solid studies!

What's important to note is a virus will mutate every time it spreads. When it goes from me, to you, it has already mutated in you. So, when you pass it on it's a different virus from before. The virus now in the US may be different from the virus in Korea. I've been watching lectures from Columbia University on Virology. The lecturer has made them free, and he teaches the course for free at the University because no other University delivers a complete virology course.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

The Covid-19 discussion thread

In this first lecture of my 2020 Columbia University virology course, we define viruses, discuss their discovery and fundamental properties, including whether or not they are alive, and explain why they are the most awesome biological entities on Earth.
    This course will teach you more about viruses than you can ever learn from media or anywhere else. It's the only complete Virology course on the planet and the only University that teaches the complete course. The lecturer teaches them to students for free. He's employed at the University for different reason, but set up the course to teach everything there is to know about viruses.

COVID-19 is also discussed and I think it was part of the reason he made these lectures free. The first is below. Enjoy

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

If this news is true its brilliant the problem is there's so much crap about it people struggle what to believe hopefully all good
    best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    What's important to note is a virus will mutate every time it spreads. When it goes from me, to you, it has already mutated in you. So, when you pass it on it's a different virus from before. The virus now in the US may be different from the virus in Korea. I've been watching lectures from Columbia University on Virology. The lecturer has made them free, and he teaches the course for free at the University because no other University delivers a complete virology course.
    Yes, a mutation is a change in a virus's code however most mutations don't really change how the virus functions. So even as Covid19 is mutating, immunologists believe that only one strain of the virus exists, which infects cells in the throat and lungs. The fact that this pattern of infection is worldwide could show that Covid19 can't alter itself too much.

Even though everyone's experience of Covid19 is unique, it appears each person is building up their own antibodies against it thus building immunity. What isn't known yet is how long this immunity lasts. The good news is that people who were infected with the other two known Covids, Sars and Mers have gained some immunity so hopefully Covid19 will follow their pattern until a vaccine is created.
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 02-05-20 at 05:32.

Thanks for posting this, Lesley. Good news and ticks off one less concern. With this in mind antibody testing will now be more concrete won't it?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Lesley. Good news and ticks off one less concern. With this in mind antibody testing will now be more concrete won't it?
    Yes it certainly should, I was reading that several antibody tests have been produced but so far they are variable in accuracy of which infections they can detect, ie they have to be highly sensitive to covid19 only, so they are evolving like finding a vaccine. I should imagine we'll have an accurate antibody test before a vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by MRS STRESS ED View Post
    If this news is true its brilliant the problem is there's so much crap about it people struggle what to believe hopefully all good
    best wishes
    I presume you mean a lot of the sad cases who have a habit of getting all cynical and sarky at the slightest hint of any good news. And not just over any potential progress concerning COVID-19 either.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Yes it certainly should, I was reading that several antibody tests have been produced but so far they are variable in accuracy of which infections they can detect, ie they have to be highly sensitive to covid19 only, so they are evolving like finding a vaccine. I should imagine we'll have an accurate antibody test before a vaccine.

The big question is whether you’re infectious or not. It’s all well and good saying an individual is personally safe from the virus but can they still shed infectious virus to others?

It was always almost certain that infection would produce at least short term immunity, but the reason that the W.H.O, amongst others, are nervous at the prospect of antibody testing is because we are still a long way off proving that antibodies fight infection within as well as ensuring an individual is no longer contagious to others.

It’s a good first step, however, to show that individuals are protected to a certain degree. Now they need to start ensuring protected individuals are no longer infectious to others.

Page 1 of 717 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread Information