Page 82 of 717 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182582 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

The information collected on the apps is automatically deleted after one month, before starting another cycle so private info is not stored long term. The idea is to get a sizable portion of the population to use it, we have approx 590,000 using them out of a pop of 7 million. All the large supermarkets and outlet store are using them, so just another way of keeping on top of any community spread. Luckily (so far) our only cases are at the border where ex-pats are in quarantine or 14 days.

You are always going to get the conspiracy theorists and those who are paranoid about privacy issues, they live in their own reality and they're in every country! Let's hope your friend doesn't contract the virus, it may challenge his perceptions!

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    They have some contact tracing apps here available if you want to use them. I believe they're in beta right now. But they're gearing up for lawsuits here because of our 4th amendment right to privacy, like PM said.

Honestly, I haven't made up my mind about using the contact tracing apps either. I can see both sides of the issue.
    They're a supplementary measure, there's no substitute for feet on the ground and doing the hard yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    (Friday was really difficult for me whilst I was in Harpenden)
    We (Dad and two brothers) built a house in Harpenden back in 1986 when I was a youngster PM. Huge houses with enormous gardens, the drive down the M1 from Northants every day was LONG. The chap who was having it built was using funds from his business partner's firm, but without the partner's knowledge. Needless to say we were well rid once we got what we were owed as all work was stopped.

Many a lunch break was spent panicking in the back of the van while trying to keep my anxiety hidden. Crikey 34 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    They're a supplementary measure, there's no substitute for feet on the ground and doing the hard yards.
    I'm using it over here.
    Only problem is if I leave my bluetooth on when at home it eats the battery pretty quick so I only have it on when I'm out.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Ours doesn't use bluetooth tech so a bit different from yours ...found this info:How the apps compare

Function NZ COVID Tracer app AUS COVIDSafe app
    Track people movement via GPS or mobile network No No
    Uses Bluetooth Technology No Yes
    Know the location I visited Yes, if you scan a QR code: The digital diary includes the location, day and time of the visit No: Only people you were in proximity with
    Know the people you were in proximity with (less than 1.5 meter) No: Only logs that you and the other person were at the same place e.g. at the same restaurant Yes: Only logs people who you were 1.5 metre in proximity for 15 minutes
    Collect personal information about you Yes: Name, address, phone number, gender, ethnicity and age Partially: Name, age, post code and phone number
    Transmit information to a remote server Not clear yet: An update is expected which allows users to electronically transmit a digital diary of the locations to the NCCS Voluntary: Users must click on upload data to server
    How long records are kept 31 days 21 days
    Where and which servers it uses Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform located in Sydney Australia Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform located in Sydney Australia
    Affect the battery? Minimal as it is only used when scanning for QR code Yes: It uses about 1% of battery every hour
    Users in control of the app Yes: Users can login and logoff at their direction No: Once the app is installed the only way to stop it is to turn off Bluetooth
    Can it be downloaded by anyone? Geo restricted: But I was able to download it using an Australian account Geo restricted: You must have an Australian Google/Apple account to download the app
    OS requirement Android 7.0 or later, Apple iOS 12 or later Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or higher, Apple iOS 10 or higher and you will need an iPhone 5S model phone or higher
    Run on Android and iPhone Yes Partially: You must keep your iPhone unlocked for the app to function
    Privacy statement Yes Yes

Table: Mahmoud El Khodr/The Conversation Get the data

The bit that makes ours useless is
    "Only logs people who you were 1.5 metre in proximity for 15 minutes"
    I want to know if I've been near anyone infected no matter for how long.
    The 1%/hr battery use is a bit optimistic.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    The bit that makes ours useless is
    "Only logs people who you were 1.5 metre in proximity for 15 minutes"
    I want to know if I've been near anyone infected no matter for how long.
    Yep, makes sense, you'd want it to log the whole store, cafe etc so that if someone who's visited there turns up with CV, everyone at that time would be contacted.

We're still playing catchup, Lesley. Our app failed during trials:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...when-download/

Following on from my earlier post, there's a "Panorama" on tonight that suggests a worst-case 35,000 extra cancer deaths will result from the Covid-19 measures.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    We (Dad and two brothers) built a house in Harpenden back in 1986 when I was a youngster PM. Huge houses with enormous gardens, the drive down the M1 from Northants every day was LONG. The chap who was having it built was using funds from his business partner's firm, but without the partner's knowledge. Needless to say we were well rid once we got what we were owed as all work was stopped.

Many a lunch break was spent panicking in the back of the van while trying to keep my anxiety hidden. Crikey 34 years ago.
    That chap sounded like a right chancer!!

Also, I don't think society in general took anxiety as seriously back in 1986 as now.

Page 82 of 717 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182582 ... LastLast

Thread Information