Page 101 of 717 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Basically I think it’s down to something being better than nothing, when it comes to face coverings. I also think it’s to instil a degree of confidence in folk in large shopping centres etc.

There has to be more done by governments globally to give the public access into the science that’s driving their decisions. I think they’d get a lot more on their side if they gave us the credit of being able to assess the evidence of somethings usefulness ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Back to masks though, all this talk about using certain ones yet the law allows me to make one out of an old t-shirt. I can't see that stopping much of anything that small.
    <sighs>

It's about catching the droplets of spittle and other aerosol carriers of the virus, not the virus itself and for that, the type made from a old t-shirt with a piece of kitchen towel inside is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Did you all see John Oliver's piece on conspiracy theories? I thought it was really well-put together.

Another weak hit piece on "conspiracy theorists" from a failed "comedian" turned Marxist activist. His whole argument is that you're too stupid to process information on the internet so just stick to the BS churned out by the Lugenpresse. I feel sorry for Americans being patronised by these failed British "comedians" who pretend to be "edgy" because they swear and have a accent. This guy is so bad, he got rejected by the BBC, between him and James Corden, you're literally scraping the bottom of the barrel.

He was Zazu's voice in the Lion King though...

James Corden...I really don't get why he has done so well in America. Who does he know and what does he know?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    <sighs>

It's about catching the droplets of spittle and other aerosol carriers of the virus, not the virus itself and for that, the type made from a old t-shirt with a piece of kitchen towel inside is acceptable.
    Kitchen towel isn't mentioned. Without it does a t-shirt not work?

You've mentioned about facial hair a couple of times yet they aren't telling us this. Again an example of the confusion over facial coverings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Another weak hit piece on "conspiracy theorists" from a failed "comedian" turned Marxist activist. His whole argument is that you're too stupid to process information on the internet so just stick to the BS churned out by the Lugenpresse. I feel sorry for Americans being patronised by these failed British "comedians" who pretend to be "edgy" because they swear and have a accent. This guy is so bad, he got rejected by the BBC, between him and James Corden, you're literally scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    I thought it was pretty good, especially as a bridge to those Americans who are not used to thinking outside of the "Lugenpresse". I don't think he's patronizing us; I liked the questions he posed for people to use about evaluating sources. I think those are good questions for the Americans we have that are brainwashed.

So when is your TV show going to start, Hollow?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Kitchen towel isn't mentioned. Without it does a t-shirt not work?

You've mentioned about facial hair a couple of times yet they aren't telling us this. Again an example of the confusion over facial coverings.
    Right, let's try and clear up some confusion here.

In my book, a facial covering just covers the face, whilst a mask specifically offers a quantifiable degree of protection against particulate matter.

Facial coverings are intended to catch droplets of spittle or whatever from when we speak, laugh, cough or sneeze. Nothing else. BBC piece here on how to make your own. Note the kitchen towel. This is roughly akin to a 3-ply fluid-repellent mask.

A mask is made of materials that filter air down to a specific particle size. For it to be effective, it must be a tight fit around the wearer's face in order to form a seal that contaminants cannot get past when breathing in or out. So a beard would trash that idea of a seal completely. These types of mask can be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods and so some are provided with a one-way valve which opens when you exhale. This allows for easier breathing, but also the expulsion of condensate from your breath as well to keep the inside of the mask more comfortable. When did you last see a fireman with a beard?

Oxford University Hospitals have a guide on what type of mask to wear where in a Covid-19 situation.
    https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/working-for-u...-faqs-ppe.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    I recall watching a talk way back in late February given by a South Korean infectious disease expert and he was quite vocal in saying that face masks were one of the key weapons in reducing transmission of Covid-19.

I think there’s ample evidence that they are at least of some benefit. Look at the relatively low transmission rates in places like South Korea and China. Both populations are quite used to wearing masks due mostly to either air pollution or fairly recent viral outbreaks.

Compare that to Europe and the Americas, cultures who have never really had need for face coverings in public spaces.

I don’t really know why this idea of face coverings has only recently become something that was encouraged. Surely there have been previous studies as to the effectiveness of these masks against viral spores? It honestly is a source of genuine confusion to me that face masks are being touted now that transmission is low yet when it was high the masks were almost branded utterly useless.

The mistakes are becoming clearer by the day to be honest.
    Yep, Taiwan and Thailand too. I think Thailand has had about 58 deaths? In a population of 95 million or so. Compliance with a mindset of self discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Yep, Taiwan and Thailand too. I think Thailand has had about 58 deaths? In a population of 95 million or so. Compliance with a mindset of self discipline.
    There’s more to it than masks, obviously. Testing and contact tracing, early lockdown and physical distancing measures, these are all things that the majority of Europe and the Americas neglected early on and, unfortunately, the consequences have been dire.

However, I do believe that the initial onslaught has taught us a lot of lessons. I think that we can and will control this virus far better until vaccination programmes become available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    There’s more to it than masks, obviously. Testing and contact tracing, early lockdown and physical distancing measures, these are all things that the majority of Europe and the Americas neglected early on and, unfortunately, the consequences have been dire.

However, I do believe that the initial onslaught has taught us a lot of lessons. I think that we can and will control this virus far better until vaccination programmes become available.
    I agree and I sure hope so Gary. Sadly, at least here in the States, it truly appears we're not even close to controlling it. Politics aside, this thing is kicking our ass! I've said this before but realistically, and based on past vaccine development, I don't believe a vaccine that is proven and has the public confidence will be available and in adequate supply until at least next Spring and more likely Summer. I'll be glad to be told "Told Ya So" on that one but.....

In the mean time, something is better than nothing on your face, do your best to social distance and wash your hands. What else do we really have at this point?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 101 of 717 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201601 ... LastLast

Thread Information