Page 107 of 717 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207607 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Which is halfway between Stafford and Stoke.

They said today's cases are 846, the highest for just over a month (but still below 1k). So aren't the face masks making a jot of difference, or is it still too soon for them to have a significant impact.

And could it be just a blip?

Stone me...I'm really struggling with my facts at the moment...That'll teach me not to listen attentively

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

They said today's cases are 846, the highest for just over a month (but still below 1k). So aren't the face masks making a jot of difference, or is it still too soon for them to have a significant impact.

Can I phone a friend on this one...preferably not BoJo?!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Can I phone a friend on this one...preferably not BoJo?!
    But as a silver lining, today's death stats are just 38, the lowest non-Sunday/Monday count for ages, but still no room for complacency though!!

And FYI, I don't live in or near the Staffs town of Stone, though I have been there a few times and it's generally quite a decent place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

It’s entirely possible that the use of face coverings is preventing hundreds more infections per day and this number is simply a lowered version of what it might be without face coverings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    It’s entirely possible that the use of face coverings is preventing hundreds more infections per day and this number is simply a lowered version of what it might be without face coverings.
    Well, you don't wear them in pubs and restaurants.

The new Northern England lockdown has set the racists' tongues wagging as we approach Eid al-Adha: one Twitter user pointed out that different households may now only meet where a card machine is present.

That aside, I am guessing that the ratio of cases to deaths is because more younger people are now contracting it, perhaps after failing to observe social distancing because they think they're less susceptible to the effects? I do wonder how much of our dreadful death total is due to the policy of placing aftercare in care homes in the early days; I'm coming round to the idea that the so-called "Nightingale Hospitals" were little more than a publicity stunt to say "we're doing something" by an inept Government and its psychopathic advisers - where were the staff going to come from if they were fully occupied anyway?

I've been offered a day at work next week; the procedures look intimidating. As a result it may be my only day at work for the foreseeable future so today I'm withdrawing some money from my personal savings and living on those for the next few months.
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 31-07-20 at 10:54.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I'm coming round to the idea that the so-called "Nightingale Hospitals" were little more than a publicity stunt to say "we're doing something" by an inept Government and its psychopathic advisers - where were the staff going to come from if they were fully occupied anyway?
    The UK followed the Chinese model of fear propaganda: China also built massive COVID-19 hospitals and mortuaries which were never used, as existing hospitals were never "overwhelmed" and were not "war zones".

In the UK, SAGE and Behavioural Insights Team ("Nudge Unit") psychologists "advised" the UK Gov't that fear should be generated through the media to scare people into taking the virus "seriously" and accepting draconian measures against it - such as the lockdown.

I'm glad that now we have time to reflect questions are being asked.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Wasn't our lockdown pretty tame?

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    The UK followed the Chinese model of fear propaganda: China also built massive COVID-19 hospitals and mortuaries which were never used, as existing hospitals were never "overwhelmed" and were not "war zones".

In the UK, SAGE and Behavioural Insights Team ("Nudge Unit") psychologists "advised" the UK Gov't that fear should be generated through the media to scare people into taking the virus "seriously" and accepting draconian measures against it - such as the lockdown.

I'm glad that now we have time to reflect questions are being asked.
    So that could also mean that the idea of generating fear in order to get the public to accept lockdown kind of worked then, didn’t it?

The hospitals weren’t overrun and not war zones as you say, so isn’t that a good result from that side at least?

If you can’t see by now that lockdown reduces transmission and the easing of it allows that transmission to rise again, you’re just not looking.

Well, you don't wear them in pubs and restaurants.

The new Northern England lockdown has set the racists' tongues wagging as we approach Eid al-Adha: one Twitter user pointed out that different households may now only meet where a card machine is present.

That aside, I am guessing that the ratio of cases to deaths is because more younger people are now contracting it, perhaps after failing to observe social distancing because they think they're less susceptible to the effects? I do wonder how much of our dreadful death total is due to the policy of placing aftercare in care homes in the early days; I'm coming round to the idea that the so-called "Nightingale Hospitals" were little more than a publicity stunt to say "we're doing something" by an inept Government and its psychopathic advisers - where were the staff going to come from if they were fully occupied anyway?

I've been offered a day at work next week; the procedures look intimidating. As a result it may be my only day at work for the foreseeable future so today I'm withdrawing some money from my personal savings and living on those for the next few months.
    I think people need to learn to accept the idea that until there is an adequate medical treatment to prevent and or cure Covid-19, we need to live with it as best we can.

We can’t stay in a nationwide lockdown any longer than we already have. I agreed with it initially as this bought some time to bring numbers down and learn more about the virus and how it spreads. I feel now this time has been given.

We know how it spreads, we know that outdoor transmission is rare, we know that local lockdowns are effective in halting further spread. There are the first signs of better treatments and we now also have the facilities to deal with sharp spikes.

This virus is part of our lives now. We have to get on with it whilst doing our best to prevent transmission. The fact remains that we risk our lives by simply getting out of bed in the morning, there are a lot of ways that we could die, become seriously injured or ill. We accept that and we do our best to prevent such occurrences. Covid-19 is simply another hazard that we need to try and avoid.

Page 107 of 717 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207607 ... LastLast

Thread Information