Page 108 of 717 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158208608 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Wasn't our lockdown pretty tame?
    That depends, I guess. Compared to a brutal Communist regime like China, it could be construed as "tame". But in a so-called "democracy" like the UK, a nationwide lockdown was unprecedented.

And I suspect that if the Gov't hadn't paid people to sit at home, they would have been on the streets protesting - pandemic or not.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    And I suspect that if the Gov't hadn't paid people to sit at home, they would have been on the streets protesting - pandemic or not.
    No, they'd have taken to Twitter and Facebook.

Wasn't our lockdown pretty tame?
    Yes; compared to say, France it was. That's why I always called it LINO: Lockdown In Name Only.

I know I'll probably still get slated for saying this but at least the govt haven't been caught napping over the past week or so with mask wearing becoming mandatory in enclosed public places, further restrictions placed on the worst affected areas in the North of England, and the next phase of lockdown easement being delayed until at least 15th August.

Still, the number of daily confirmed cases has remained below 1k for the whole of July, though it's obviously meaningless now, though the measures that have been taken over the past week I suppose might attempt to nip any further spikes in the bud while they still can. And we can't still keep blaming the govt as much of the general public are also very much to blame for being complacent and not sticking to the rules!!

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    That depends, I guess. Compared to a brutal Communist regime like China, it could be construed as "tame". But in a so-called "democracy" like the UK, a nationwide lockdown was unprecedented.

But being paid to sit at home isn't a draconian measure? It's pretty fair in my opinion. I know the self -employed missed out (my sister)and there are always people who sadly won 't benefit from the furlough system but overall the majority were compensated for their financial losses as a result of lockdown?

In terms of mental health I'd say that there are far reaching consequences for some but not all..and these can't be contained by using a face mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    I think people need to learn to accept the idea that until there is an adequate medical treatment to prevent and or cure Covid-19, we need to live with it as best we can.

We can’t stay in a nationwide lockdown any longer than we already have. I agreed with it initially as this bought some time to bring numbers down and learn more about the virus and how it spreads. I feel now this time has been given.

We know how it spreads, we know that outdoor transmission is rare, we know that local lockdowns are effective in halting further spread. There are the first signs of better treatments and we now also have the facilities to deal with sharp spikes.

This virus is part of our lives now. We have to get on with it whilst doing our best to prevent transmission. The fact remains that we risk our lives by simply getting out of bed in the morning, there are a lot of ways that we could die, become seriously injured or ill. We accept that and we do our best to prevent such occurrences. Covid-19 is simply another hazard that we need to try and avoid.
    Correct, there are a gazillion other 'hazards' that could potentially harm and even kill us on a daily basis (such as car crashes and falling head-first down the stairs), but we often tend not to give them a second thought!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I know I'll probably still get slated for saying this but at least the govt haven't been caught napping over the past week or so with mask wearing becoming mandatory in enclosed public places, further restrictions placed on the worst affected areas in the North of England, and the next phase of lockdown easement being delayed until at least 15th August.

Still, the number of daily confirmed cases has remained below 1k for the whole of July, though it's obviously meaningless now, though the measures that have been taken over the past week I suppose might attempt to nip any further spikes in the bud while they still can. And we can't still keep blaming the govt as much of the general public are also very much to blame for being complacent and not sticking to the rules!!
    Today the South coast has been invaded by marauding hordes of sunseekers who don't give a sh*t about CV or about social distancing. So we'll see how active CV actually is in the community in a short while. I went to London yesterday and it was pretty quiet. Not much social distancing although there has been a lot of work done to enable this.

Who knows what the truth is..We'll never know.

Today the South coast has been invaded by marauding hordes of sunseekers who don't give a sh*t about CV or about social distancing. So we'll see how active CV actually is in the community in a short while. I went to London yesterday and it was pretty quiet. Not much social distancing although there has been a lot of work done to enable this.

Who knows what the truth is..We'll never know.
    I'm not qualified to say obviously, and I'm not in any way condoning their actions, but I don't seem to recall the hordes of sunbathers who snuck into the beaches and into the parks during the good weather back in May and June causing any real spikes in cases.

And I thought I heard/read that the experts say the risks of spreading are generally most critical indoors.

There does seem to be a pattern in certain areas of the country, and (with trying not to sound racist) most of the areas currently seing a resurgence in cases seem to have larger Asian populations, whom are reportedly more susceptible to infection.

I'm prepared to get it in the neck for what I have just said, mods please feel free to remove this post or call me out if necessary!!

I agree, Lencoboy. Also the Asian community are far more family-orientated so you have more family members living under the same roof so the potential for spreading the virus increases.The perils of the UK being a multi ethnic society, I suppose. Difficult to impose an effective plan when we all live under different conditions and there is often a language and comprehension barrier.

I agree, Lencoboy. Also the Asian community are far more family-orientated so you have more family members living under the same roof so the potential for spreading the virus increases.The perils of the UK being a multi ethnic society, I suppose. Difficult to impose an effective plan when we all live under different conditions and there is often a language and comprehension barrier.
    i think it’s a fair point you both make. In my area we’re seeing higher percentages of Hispanics and African Americans getting the virus. It’s very much due to living situations, lack of healthcare, and other socio-economic divides. Not to say that everyone can’t get it, but the percent positive numbers (at least in my city) are trending higher for a couple of ethnicity groups.

Page 108 of 717 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158208608 ... LastLast

Thread Information