Page 139 of 717 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239639 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'm glad your brother was able to visit safely, Terry. I'm sure your Mum was really happy to see him and I hope it gave her a boost. You as a family must be going through so much as it is adjusting to the demands of your Mum's illness so seeing your brother must have been therapeutic for you all.

You don't know whether you will be "ok" following the visit, Fishman but chances are that you will both be fine and Mrs F wouldn't have been happy if you'd taken her home instead of going into the house. I know you want to protect her but would she be happy to be shut away now that shielding is over? The tricky thing is getting the balance right when you don't know if the scales are reliable..
    Very true Pulisa, these scales here are digital and can vary by as much as 2lbs in one standing. Seriously though, I was judging myself on my own standards and after being critical of my daughter I felt those standards were 'double' so to speak.

OK still on Covid. I've not seen anywhere on the threads where a 'dormant virus' theory has been discussed i.e that Covid has been released or 'activated' by global warming? Any thoughts?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-emerged-asia/
    https://www.livescience.com/43800-gi...ermafrost.html

Didn't think it would be too long before covid and climate change were linked..

It'll be Brexit next.

It'll be Brexit next.
    Probably.

Nearly everyone seems to be trying to link almost everything these days.

Someone posted on one of the Digital Spy threads today that the Labour party are now being shamed over Piers Corbyn, brother of the already cursed former Labour leader, being one of the 'masterminds' over Saturday's London protest (the other one being that odious toerag David Icke) which is totally beyond ludicrous, as far as I am concerned.

Firstly, Piers has nothing whatsoever to do with the Labour party (or politics in general AFAIK), and just happens to be the sibling of said party's former leader, whose tenure concluded back in April, and both Jeremy and Piers were allegedly estranged from each other over the latter's extremist views.

Secondly, people still seem to keep harping on about Jeremy Corbyn and his alleged failings, despite Keir Starmer having replaced him as Labour leader since April, and his (Keir's) alleged attempts to wipe the slate clean of all the supposed anti-Semitism scandals within the party, (which must surely also exist within the Tory party, which hardly anyone seems to give a monkeys about).

It was also in the news yesterday that both Boris and Keir are now pretty much 'even Stephens' in the national opinion polls for the very first time since last December's GE.

Sorry for straying off-topic and into politics once again!!

It'll be Brexit next.
    While I can appreciate some may have a political motive for linking Covid and climate change, isn't there a case here for a purely scientific argument?

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    While I can appreciate some may have a political motive for linking Covid and climate change, isn't there a case here for a purely scientific argument?
    I can’t access the whole article for some reason, but my first reaction would be to say that correlation doesn’t prove causation. It would seem, to me at least, a bit of a stretch to have this virus just magically switch on during a relatively short period of time then link that to man made global warming.

I would also have to question why so many other coronaviruses, much of them sharing very similar gene sequences to SARS-COV 2, have been around for as long as we’ve had the technology to detect them, and probably long before that. Do we attest those to whichever climate conditions existed at the time?

It would also go against how this virus seems to operate. Warmer weather isn’t it’s friend, UV light even less so, so one would have to wonder why it would decide to rear it’s head when the planet is actually warmer than any time in recent history.

It'll be Brexit next.
    It might cheer up the coach making companies, they might get to sell another slogan bus

I'm glad your brother was able to visit safely, Terry. I'm sure your Mum was really happy to see him and I hope it gave her a boost. You as a family must be going through so much as it is adjusting to the demands of your Mum's illness so seeing your brother must have been therapeutic for you all.
    Thanks, pulisa. She was quiet at first because she is struggling with any visitors but perked up later. Afterwards she said it was nice to see him which we were glad to hear as we feared she might retreat. He's coming again this weekend. We've got a 6 street outbreak within walking distance and now another one emerging (other end of the city though) so we just have to remain vigilant.

We do speak to him via phone a fait bit more than normal and make sure mum speaks to him even if she doesn't want too. It all helps. But it's not the same as in person and she needs support right now. As expected, the NHS are woeful... (the district nurses are excellent but they aren't coming her for that reason although a couple of them have started chasing our GP over it to help out) as covid has created more queues so has become an excuse (can't see you because of the virus which is BS, it's to stop bigger numbers on the waiting lists...why not just create another one, the favourite of governments ).

Covid has been a great excuse for GPs to disappear behind their phones and to diagnose and prescribe haphazardly. I think it's a question of people being very much on their own when trying to support vulnerable family members. I'm used to this but it's a hell of a lot more difficult to take with the covid get out clause going on at the same time..It's frustrating and time consuming trying to chase up services and it's depressing too..Take care of yourself, Terry. I'm sure you are wonderfully supportive to both your mum and dad but it's mentally exhausting and you only get platitudes from so-called support services. I'm glad your brother is able to talk to your mum on the phone and hopefully he will be able to visit more frequently if he can do so safely? Support from other family members is always a good thing if you can have it.

Dr Campbell on how masks play a major role in affecting viral load. There is a link between low viral loads and asymptomatic cases. He was adamant that this video needs to be shared so here it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANEqOPcDwc

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Dr Campbell on how masks play a major role in affecting viral load. There is a link between low viral loads and asymptomatic cases. He was adamant that this video needs to be shared so here it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANEqOPcDwc
    Brilliant.

A very likely explanation for the lower CV death rates of late, and possibly a less lethal strain of the virus entering circulation, though still early to really tell properly yet of course.

Could very well be one of the factors behind Scotland's lack of CV deaths since June, as they were first in with the mandatory mask wearing in public places in the UK, with England following suit from 24th July.

Mind you, it does seem that the CV death rates are now generally declining in most other countries around the world, which seems promising.

Page 139 of 717 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239639 ... LastLast

Thread Information