Page 143 of 717 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243643 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    It does state that person's issues might have occurred by chance, so it's probably best for us all not to jump to conclusions at this stage.

(I don't necessarily mean you personally, PM).

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    Aussie news is saying you guys are in for a second wave.
    Prolly just more sensationalism.
    Wrong, our first wave is still far from over.

Definitely sensationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    No, I've not heard anything either. I'm not far from Burton. A quick run down the A50 from here.

I wonder whether it has been on the council website before now? Maybe it has been added recently because there is a link to another page detailing the council's response? Limiting the numbers in pubs is a smart move.

But I'm also within a short walk of a local hotspot too. We are still waiting for the numbers yo come down but last I read the NHS boss was saying things weren't great...

I've heard nothing about Lichfield either. I get plenty of updates via Upday. Like you say if the nationals don't run with it now do we hear? To be honest I rarely read the local chip paper.

Edit: using the BBC post code search shows East Midlands are up 15 cases on last week with 28 per 100k with 34 current cases. They aren't on the government watch list though. That's 3 per 100k more than my city who are.

Reading Fergus Walsh's views (BBC) on why deaths sent rising is interesting. Mostly because it's obvious all through he is trying to downplay it and one of his quoted experts even contradicts his narrative that it's all over (but since said ecpert is promoting the Swedish model he must be hoping we dont notice). That attitude is causing rises. We can dream of Swedish society all we wish but look at the rises trends and think of the idiots, many we see, who thinks it's all done. Maybe 2-3 in 10 I see entering shops when I'm there cleanse their hands anymore and shops long ago stopped wiping down trolleys. [Insert Homer Simpson Doh here]
    I did a bit of research on the BBC's 'Look up tool' last night re the current situation in Burton vs the current situation in Bolton. (as per the latest count).

East Staffordshire (Burton);
    27 cases per 100,000.

Bolton;
    122 cases per 100,000.

My area;
    16 cases per 100,000.

Lichfield doesn't have an official 'outbreak' per se ATM, I was just referring to that particular area in general not escaping the virus, in the context of it generally being one of the more desirable and affluent areas of the county and (dare I say it) a predominantly White area.

For a bit of a silver lining, I recommend you all take a peek at this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54064347

Thanks for sharing that post Lenco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    It does state that person's issues might have occurred by chance, so it's probably best for us all not to jump to conclusions at this stage.

(I don't necessarily mean you personally, PM).
    don't worry Lencoboy, I think we almost know each other well enough not to worry about such things

Before people start panicking, the proposed restrictions in Birmingham and the adjoining West Midlands boroughs of Sandwell and Solihull, that are to come into force on Tuesday, are NOT a full-on lockdown, mostly restrictions on visiting (see BBC News website for full details), similar to the current measures in Bolton, which also isn't in a full-on lockdown.

The Burton thing, however, was only very briefly mentioned in the Stoke and Staffordshire local news section on the BBC News website, but on the 26th August (which was a couple of weeks ago), with the article predominantly covering Stoke, which is obviously the worst hit area in Staffs, though it seems the situation in Burton has up until now been kept low-key in the wider media, which will inevitably keep said area from being heavily named and shamed by keyboard warriors on social media, etc.

Obviously still not big news like Bolton, and Birmingham.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 11-09-20 at 16:42.

Just weeks ago the rate per 100k on average was 5. Now it's 18.

So, what has gone wrong? Is this due to lag in time between lifting measures and how counting picks them up?

Foreign travel will add it's share but I would be putting my money more on higher levels from people being forced together in large groups. Pictures of the pubs show the crowds gathering.

Looking at the hotspot down the road from me it's a case of 6 streets. It all happened off the back of a religious celebration period. The next one from a bingo evening at a working men's club (far reduced compared to the former outbreak). But now the numbers are still on the rise. I don't know whether this is because of general increase or a mixture with hotspots.

Regardless, it's not looking good. And neither are the cases on that graph on the BBC page.

Why the govt have decided to set the new national 6 people rule from next Monday, and the restrictions in the West Midlands conurbation from Tuesday, and not immediately from yesterday or today is totally beyond me.

People will be irresponsibly having gatherings in their houses en masse this weekend while they still can, cue cases likely rocketing to 4-5k by next week!!

As far as the current situation in both the West Midlands and Bolton goes, I wish the media would be more specific and use more accurate terms like 'restrictions', rather than 'lockdown', which it isn't actually the latter.

I think in these instances the term 'lockdown' amounts to hyperbole, as in the WM, most places will still remain open as before, and people aren't being ordered to not leave their homes. The proposed restrictions in the WM from Tuesday hardly even come close to what happened in Leicester over the summer.

Just like our local rag referred to a big late night drunken street brawl in our town centre as a 'riot' back in the early 2000s, when it was nothing of the sort.
    Mind you, our local rag has toned down its sensationalism dramatically over the past 10-15 years or so.

Some good news.

The Oxford Uni vaccine trial is to be resumed following the pause earlier in the week, owing to that 'hitch'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54132066

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Just weeks ago the rate per 100k on average was 5. Now it's 18.

So, what has gone wrong? Is this due to lag in time between lifting measures and how counting picks them up?

Foreign travel will add it's share but I would be putting my money more on higher levels from people being forced together in large groups. Pictures of the pubs show the crowds gathering.

Looking at the hotspot down the road from me it's a case of 6 streets. It all happened off the back of a religious celebration period. The next one from a bingo evening at a working men's club (far reduced compared to the former outbreak). But now the numbers are still on the rise. I don't know whether this is because of general increase or a mixture with hotspots.

Regardless, it's not looking good. And neither are the cases on that graph on the BBC page.
    I'd agree totally with pubs and crowds playing a large part. This pub is just a few miles from me.
    https://www.northantslive.news/news/...-given-4504902

Page 143 of 717 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243643 ... LastLast

Thread Information