Page 154 of 717 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254654 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Shopping in Tesco today I noticed the paper towel/toilet paper aisle was pretty sparse. I hope we aren't heading back into panic buying.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Thanks for highlighting that Terry - these are some of the eminent scientists that I was referring to - and who have been saying these things for months. I'm amazed that the Grauniad have published this letter. The two scientists--u-like on whose 'advice' the government seems constrained to hang seem just determined to keep steaming ahead down the same old track. Be interesting to see what happens when that particular trains derails ....
    Both sides have good points. I think a targetted approach is better as we can't keep shutting everything down. It's a blunt instrument that adversely affects too many people e.g. the poor parents of a cancer patient who have launched a petition to get cancer treatment back on track after their young daughter died.

There has to be a plan that keep a working. Don't bank on a vaccine as it could fail and we have to wait longer.

But the point the other group make is important about shielding. It is aimed at a narrow range of scenarios. I'm living with elderly parents how can I shield them? You can only take reasonable steps and hope others do too.

Ultimately allowing people out means trust. That's naive. Very few people can be seen using hand cleansing facilities or cleaning trolleys in the places I go. What changed this? No marshals, relaxing restrictions and the ultimate nail in the coffin being masks. People think it's all safe with a mask. Many don't social distance anymore because we now have masks.

If the public won't listen by now you can forget it. It will take years of 'new normal' to change these attitudes. Chimps would pick it up far quicker! So plan for idiots would be my policy. Anyone who thinks town centre pubs full of hammered blokes care about cleanliness has never drank where I have (if they are unconscious in the gutter or fighting I doubt Covid is in their minds).

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    So plan for idiots would be my policy.
    Nature will always design a better idiot. I've learned this from designing user interfaces.

For a little relief, but related: https://newsthump.com/2020/09/22/wha...-bombing-hoax/

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Shopping in Tesco today I noticed the paper towel/toilet paper aisle was pretty sparse. I hope we aren't heading back into panic buying.
    We are.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...own-looms.html

Precious little bog roll in Waitrose and customer numbers instore at any one time have been limited to 30.

I'm glad I've got slow gut transit

If there really is panic-buying of toilet rolls, etc, all of a sudden, whatever is the matter with people, when most should know full well by now that there's NO shortages. There wasn't back in March and AFAIK, there isn't now.

What the hell is going on? What's so precious about toilet paper which is hardly life-saving stuff? Why such mass hysteria over a non-issue? Why don't people ever learn?

My only reasoning is people getting kicks out of all the frenzy and excitement involved. Some people just seem to love a drama!

Sorry for the rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    If there really is panic-buying of toilet rolls, etc, all of a sudden, whatever is the matter with people, when most should know full well by now that there's NO shortages. There wasn't back in March and AFAIK, there isn't now.

What the hell is going on? What's so precious about toilet paper which is hardly life-saving stuff? Why such mass hysteria over a non-issue? Why don't people ever learn?

My only reasoning is people getting kicks out of all the frenzy and excitement involved. Some people just seem to love a drama!

Sorry for the rant.
    "I'm starving and malnourished, but hey, I've got a clean ********!"

Because, for the most part, people are very stupid and do what they see their mates doing on Facebook/Instagram/whatever. The irony of saying this on a social media site is not lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    "I'm starving and malnourished, but hey, I've got a clean ********!"

Because, for the most part, people are very stupid and do what they see their mates doing on Facebook/Instagram/whatever. The irony of saying this on a social media site is not lost on me.
    Or they probably have some kind of agenda.

Despite the ongoing rises in cases nationally, it was reported in our local paper today that there have been fewer cases in both my town and throughout most of my county (Staffs) at the latest count, compared to the previous week.

I'm also sure Dr JC mentioned the other day that cases in Spain might just be starting to show signs of waning, following seemingly relentless increases since around July or so.

Page 154 of 717 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254654 ... LastLast

Thread Information