Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Now you mention it Pulisa yes lol

Back of the net, pulisa

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    LOL...told you lockdowns do more harm than good.

From the vaunted World Health Organization:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...od/ar-BB19TBUo
    But would it come down to a bun fight between those who want to reduce hardship & suicide vs those who don't want to see older people & the infirm written off as a loss to let the kids get back on with life?

How will they stop people bringing into the homes of vulnerable people. I don't see them really answering this under Focussed Shielding. It seems just as much a roll of the dice as large-scale lockdown.

But do they consider the impact of locking down the vulnerable? Sure, go to the pub as normal whilst gran is in a hotel all alone. That's very detrimental to their health.

The economy is one thing. Basing it on entitled people who just want their holidays is another. And old folks get written off. Just look at the last few years with Brexit and the politics of envy from some younger people. Apparently they won't get old...

In the UK the idea of "isolate the elderly and vulnerable so we can do what we like" would mean about 25% of the population - about 17 million - being put into complete isolation.

That might please selfish idiots who think of no-one but themselves but I find it completely unacceptable.

Stock levels are looking better at my usual haunts. Still low on refrigerated meats and ready meal pies though.

At least the Jaffa Cakes are back

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    In the UK the idea of "isolate the elderly and vulnerable so we can do what we like" would mean about 25% of the population - about 17 million - being put into complete isolation.

That might please selfish idiots who think of no-one but themselves but I find it completely unacceptable.
    It annoys me that there are plans to put the vulnerable into empty hotels. Like a prison. It would be better served shoving the deniers and idiots in them.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Stock levels are looking better at my usual haunts. Still low on refrigerated meats and ready meal pies though.

At least the Jaffa Cakes are back
    I popped into our local Co-op store late yesterday afternoon, which is still devoid of marshals but otherwise no issues with customers, and couldn't see any sign of shortages of anything. Even the toilet roll shelves were about 75 per cent full of stock.

Surely once the forthcoming restrictions in England kick in from tomorrow (Wednesday 14th October), the current bout of panic-buying hysteria will probably die down, just like it did in early April, by the time we were in full lockdown, which we know isn't actually happening this time round.

Surely most of us (with a brain at least) should have learned from the situation back in the spring, where there were no actual shortages of anything, but the hysteria caused by some blatantly irresponsible viral video from Australia doing the rounds on YouTube and social media, and rapidly spread worldwide.

And as much as I generally despise Boris, he's very much in a 'damned if do, damned if don't' situation right now concerning the new restrictions. Surely his predecessors (May, Cameron, Brown, Blair, Major, Thatcher, you name them) would have also got it in the neck just the same had they still been in power right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It annoys me that there are plans to put the vulnerable into empty hotels. Like a prison. It would be better served shoving the deniers and idiots in them.
    What?! Where'd you see/hear that?

I thought they were giving the vulnerable more of a choice this time around? Not classing everyone over 70 as old and doddery and allowing them to be free to make their own decisions?

Don't panic, PM. I know you come into the shielding group but you won't be made to go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I thought they were giving the vulnerable more of a choice this time around? Not classing everyone over 70 as old and doddery and allowing them to be free to make their own decisions?

Don't panic, PM. I know you come into the shielding group but you won't be made to go anywhere.
    Oh, I'm not panicking, Pulisa - I'm angry at the suggestion as it has rather unpleasant undertones.

TBH after yesterday at work I'm much happier here in my semi-darkened room with my feet up. Yesterday's work was... unpleasant. Normally I'd thrive on the stress of that environment but chuck in "Covid precautions" and it was simply too much for me. I was glad to get in the car, set the cruise control at a sedate pace and happily let the world overtake me whilst I listened to Radio 3 in the warmth on my way home.

What?! Where'd you see/hear that?
    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post

Oh, I'm not panicking, Pulisa - I'm angry at the suggestion as it has rather unpleasant undertones.

TBH after yesterday at work I'm much happier here in my semi-darkened room with my feet up. Yesterday's work was... unpleasant. Normally I'd thrive on the stress of that environment but chuck in "Covid precautions" and it was simply too much for me. I was glad to get in the car, set the cruise control at a sedate pace and happily let the world overtake me whilst I listened to Radio 3 in the warmth on my way home.
    It was the usual 'leaked reports' stuff ages ago in the original lockdown. Apologies if it was unclear. It was doing the rounds with some of the media but it will be the worst case scenario planning any government would have done if they have any sense.

But yes, it annoyed me too. I'm not sure ramming everyone vulnerable together would work. Just look at the mess caused in nursing homes.

Page 171 of 717 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221271671 ... LastLast

Thread Information