Page 200 of 717 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300700 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    Schools shouldn't be closed. End of.

If fully grown adults can't behave, why should the kids be penalised?
    My child goes to school and understands social distancing in and out of school and I can guarantee he or we haven't given any virus to anyone.

The whole government should be outed, they've balls this up from the start!
    Although I agree with your last paragraph Matt, whatever PM and/or party in power would have got it in the neck over all this, especially given the blame culture we seem to live in. I recall Gordon Brown and New Labour being (unfairly IMO) blamed for the Global Financial Crisis back in 2008-10 when it was in fact a global phenomenon which, despite New Labour's best intentions at the time, was mostly beyond their control. I don't think the media at the time really helped either.

I honestly don't believe the Tories would have handled the GFC any better had they been in power back then.

Ditto the Lib Dems.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 13-12-20 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    Schools shouldn't be closed. End of.
    So where are the biggest outbreaks at the moment, especially in London?

Schools. Sorry Matt, but you are wrong in this instance. Whole year groups are getting sent home at the moment as infections tear through schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Although I agree with your last paragraph Matt, whatever PM and/or party in power would have got it in the neck over all this, especially given the blame culture we seem to live in. I recall Gordon Brown and New Labour being (unfairly IMO) blamed for the Global Financial Crisis back in 2008-10 when it was in fact a global phenomenon which, despite New Labour's best intentions at the time, was mostly beyond their control. I don't think the media at the time really helped either.

I honestly don't believe the Tories would have handled the GFC any better had they been in power back then.

Ditto the Lib Dems.
    Agreed. Corbyn isn't known for swift action either.

Just imagine if social media and the online news had been around through previous national emergencies? It would wall-to-wall complaining (well, that would perhaps be if the public had turned into what they are now).

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post

Schools. Sorry Matt, but you are wrong in this instance. Whole year groups are getting sent home at the moment as infections tear through schools.
    Perhaps any Covid-related school closures should be pursued on a case-by-case basis, such as in the worst affected areas like London, Wales etc, rather than on a full-on nationwide scale.

Also there might be certain schools who haven't been taking the issue seriously enough. Same goes for certain pubs.

My day centre, however, has remained open through the second lockdown and so far (touch wood) without any Covid-related issues AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post

At my boys school and probably all the others they go in and leave at staggered times and stay in bubbles whilst there.
    Parents have to follow a procedures, wear face masks and social distance and this is were my problem lies.... Parents have been told time and again about face masks, distancing and the procedures set in place, but so many just don't, so that's why I get so frustrated as it's the so called grown ups that are so much to blame.
    Yes there is a spoke in schools but not in every area so closing schools can't be nationwide.
    This isn't the kids fault, it's the adults and schools closed will have a massive impact for them and the country for decades.
    It can't just be "close schools. End of"

The secondary schools appear to be the problem where I live. We are anticipating tier 3 on Weds. Primary schools are doing a fine job but it's more difficult with teenagers

https://youtu.be/CYmn76Y50Us

The second wave........ NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    The secondary schools appear to be the problem where I live. We are anticipating tier 3 on Weds. Primary schools are doing a fine job but it's more difficult with teenagers
    Same in my area Pulisa. They shut down the middle and high schools again and went full remote. Only the elementary age kids are in person schooling right now.

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    Same in my area Pulisa. They shut down the middle and high schools again and went full remote. Only the elementary age kids are in person schooling right now.
    I don't really understand why the secondary schools can't just finish for the holidays now. What difference does a week make in terms of education? i should imagine most schools are on a countdown to Christmas with "fun" lessons anyway. I don't buy the "it will affect their mental health" argument.

I reckon anyone who actually has a long term and serious mental health issue won't stand a chance of getting help on the NHS post Covid. I'm really worried for my children.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    And this is the point I'm trying to make to Matt - it is the secondary schools that are the major problem. Can't be the pubs round here, they're all shut!! I expect we'll remain in Tier 3, and I can see places like Essex going into Tier 3 as well.

Page 200 of 717 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300700 ... LastLast

Thread Information