Page 231 of 717 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241281331 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Well after a low day yesterday with high cases the Oxford vaccine is approved which should bring about an end to this pandemic. Question is can this government vaccinate quick enough?

I'm sure Boris is a dab hand with a syringe...but it all depends on uptake of the vaccine, doesn't it, Phil?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'm sure Boris is a dab hand with a syringe...but it all depends on uptake of the vaccine, doesn't it, Phil?
    Well, quite. If 40% of the population choose not to take it - and I know several members of my family are saying they won't - then it is unlikely that there'll be any "herd immunity" and restrictions will have to remain in place.

Or is our Scottish correspondent expecting everyone to have the vaccine just so he doesn't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Can she take a leave-of-absence with a doc's note?
    She could Vee but won't. Its ironic that last spring she took time off when cases around here seemed lower than they are now. There was only one person I knew that had covid in the first wave, now there are several including 4 Asda staff. I discussed the situation with her earlier, laying out the facts. Some of those being Mrs F now on steroids and morphine, telling her that the steroids reduce the inflammation caused by crohns disease by dampening down the immune system. Thus making her even less likely to be able to fight off covid. Telling her that morphine is a respiratory suppressant, giving her mother an additional handicap.

So my daughter talks about keeping away from her. I explain that's not practical in a small house like this, that we breathe each other's air criss-crossing the landing and that her mother would have to be shut in her bedroom and the door taped up. And needing the bathroom? So daughter says 'what else can we do?' She's an intelligent girl so doesn't need me to spell it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I enjoy your posts AV, so it’s a benefit to us that you get to shelter in place here.

Does your stay at home order mean the same as ours in the UK? You can go to the supermarket (grocery store) and out for exercise but that’s about it? Restaurants are open for takeaway only?

I am in tier 4 along with most of the South East of the UK. I went out yesterday to a lovely national trust property that has loads of land and woods and deer. It was a great walk but it was quite busy. Still, any more than 5 people near me is a bit busy lately!

Finding my anxiety levels are really creeping up at the moment. So many things feel bleak, I know we have the vaccines (great news today that our Oxford one has been approved), but the rest of the news is quite dire.
    Time to start avoiding the news again I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Scass

Yes, we are only supposed to go to the supermarket or another store like a pharmacy or hardware store and then back home. Yes, it's encouraged to go outside for exercise. They are allowing outdoor gyms only if equipment is separated 6 feet apart and everyone wears a mask. Restaurants for take-out only, no outdoor dining anymore. We are lucky here in that we have a Mediterranean climate, so lots of businesses were just operating outdoors. They put up a canopy in their parking lots and just drug all the furniture outside. But now all that is shut down again, as our cases are off the charts. Businesses are not happy though; they are fighting the governor on this one.

I think everyone's anxiety is up. It's like we're all just holding our breath until we get that vaccine and see what 2021 will bring.

What does Mrs F's consultant say about the shielding? Could you ask his advice re your daughter's impact on risk?

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    She could Vee but won't. Its ironic that last spring she took time off when cases around here seemed lower than they are now. There was only one person I knew that had covid in the first wave, now there are several including 4 Asda staff. I discussed the situation with her earlier, laying out the facts. Some of those being Mrs F now on steroids and morphine, telling her that the steroids reduce the inflammation caused by crohns disease by dampening down the immune system. Thus making her even less likely to be able to fight off covid. Telling her that morphine is a respiratory suppressant, giving her mother an additional handicap.

So my daughter talks about keeping away from her. I explain that's not practical in a small house like this, that we breathe each other's air criss-crossing the landing and that her mother would have to be shut in her bedroom and the door taped up. And needing the bathroom? So daughter says 'what else can we do?' She's an intelligent girl so doesn't need me to spell it out.

Well, the good news is that you still have control here. The house is in your name and you pay the mortgage. She needs to take all the precautions necessary: wears a mask at work, when she comes home, clothes go in the washer and hands immediately washed. If she doesn't follow the rules or goes out with friends, then you tell her she needs to go stay with one of her friends for awhile.

Jokingly, and given the weather at the moment, a tent in the garden as an option might concentrate the mind somewhat

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Jokingly, and given the weather at the moment, a tent in the garden as an option might concentrate the mind somewhat
    LOL Do it!

I'm so blessed here in Socal... Yes, it's the middle of winter and we did have a day of winter storms, but today the temp is 65 F (I think that's about 20 C for you all).

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    LOL Do it!

I'm so blessed here in Socal... Yes, it's the middle of winter and we did have a day of winter storms, but today the temp is 65 F (I think that's about 20 C for you all).
    Between 18 and 19, Vee - here the maths is ((Temp in °F -32) ÷ 1.8) and round to the nearest whole number so in your case it'd be (65-32) ÷ 1.8) = 18.333, or 18 °C.

Normally, we do it the other way around of course, saying 18 °C = 64 °F, and 19 °C = 66 °F.

As I write, it's 2 °C outside.

Page 231 of 717 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241281331 ... LastLast

Thread Information