Page 26 of 717 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126526 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Some are over here saying it's time to get the economy going again.
    You mean, like Iain Smith?
    Iain Duncan Smith calls for an end to two-metre social distancing rule to ‘get economy moving’
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...ules-1-6660405

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I saw that Muppet banging on about that. Surely no one thinks this guy gives a monkey's about anyone after his last post?

I did see an article with doctors advocating ending the lockdown. They were weighing up the economy vs health. I always find it strange listening to a doctor about the economy, it's not like we listen to economists in our hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I saw that Muppet banging on about that. Surely no one thinks this guy gives a monkey's about anyone after his last post?

I did see an article with doctors advocating ending the lockdown. They were weighing up the economy vs health. I always find it strange listening to a doctor about the economy, it's not like we listen to economists in our hospitals.
    TBH I'm now starting to get a bit concerned about all the talk in the press about the forecasts of the worst economic fallout for a century over the past couple of weeks. I don't in any way mean to be in denial nor sit with my head in the sand, but I do feel as though there is a lot of unnecessary hype with all of that ATM, which in turn could lead to a so-called self-fulfilling prophecy, just like back in 2008 when the press were constantly hyping up the Credit Crunch with extremely alarmist and emotive lingo, and endless talk of Armageddon-type scenarios.

Yes, we should be concerned and alert about the economic/financial impacts of this pandemic (and quite rightly so), but I personally think all the usual hype and apocalyptic lingo spewed out by the press will only exacerbate the problem all the more, and inadvertently cause even more polarisation within our society, just like back in 2008, though it's worth remembering these are still very much hypothetical scenarios and that many 'crises' eventually turn out to be nowhere near as apocalyptic as we are often made to believe.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 22-05-20 at 10:00.

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

But as we've seen, economies recover. They take their time, but they recover.

However, I haven't seen the victims of Covid-19 being miraculously restored to life.

In another bit of sleight of hand, it transpires that if a person has a nasal swab and a saliva sample taken, the Government is counting that as two tests. Apparently covered in the BBC's More or Less programme;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j949

However, I haven't seen the victims of Covid-19 being miraculously restored to life.
    Absolutely, but it is more the hysterical journalism that is my biggest bugbear, and cue the inevitable naming and shaming of the UK once again, when it is actually a worldwide issue.

Though we cannot put Labour on the receiving end of the 'blame game' this time round, simply because of the obvious!!

What do you mean? Over 99% of people confirmed to have covid-19 have recovered.
    Totally collapsed economies will take many more lives then covid-19 ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    What do you mean? Over 99% of people confirmed to have covid-19 have recovered.
    WORLD: 5,223,459 confirmed cases - Deaths: 335,205 - Recovered: 2,099,220

US: 1,621,727 confirmed cases - Deaths: 96,377 - Recovered: 382,244

Your math is a just a tad off. We're in uncharted territory both health wise and economically. Only time will tell.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

Your math is a just a tad off. We're in uncharted territory both health wise and economically. Only time will tell.

Positive thoughts
    Exactly. That's why I am extremely dubious of a lot of the hysterical, apocalyptic commentary being banded around by the media ATM, that is all, at best, hypothetical.

Like you said, it's something only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

Positive thoughts
    FMP!

Glad you're talking to me again! You have to realize that the "confirmed cases" of the virus is just a fraction of actual cases. Do you understand that? The mortality rate is minuscule compared to actual total cases.

That's why I use total world population versus covid-19 deaths. But even if we just used actual cases (not confirmed cases which is just a fraction of total actual cases) of the virus the mortality rate would be far less than 1%.

I use total population because first you have to catch the disease and there are statistics on that as well.

Page 26 of 717 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126526 ... LastLast

Thread Information